Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 06:41 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,260 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone... I was wondering if anyone knew of green builders in the tri cities area? I could only locate one out of Memphis. I would appreciate any help in locating one there. Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 11:37 AM

10 posts, read 34,870 times
Try getting in touch with the Tri-Cities Green Building Coalition. From what I understand it is fairly new and associated with the Appalachian Sustainable Development group. Here's a link: Contacts & Resources

Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
You may also try contacting whoever is building that new hospital thing in Kingsport. It is supposedly built using "green" methods.

Sorry I'm so vague about who/what, but I really have no idea what it is. The huge medical bldg near downtown. Mbmouse or SmokeyMtnGal will be able to help me out here.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 AM

Thank you both for your help. I will check out that link and mabye some one can enlighten me to the name of the building in Kingsport. In the mean time I will search around some more and see what I can come up with. Again, thanks so much.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,812 times
Default Re: Green Builders in Tri-Cities

We have the Tri-Cities Green Building Coalition that meets the 4th Thursday of the month, 11:30am-1pm at HVAC, Inc. 101 3rd St. Bristol, TN. If you have any questions, feel free to [mod]DM for contact info[/mod]

Last edited by Beretta; 05-12-2008 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: use DM feature for contact information please

Old 05-18-2008, 11:39 AM

Thank you for the info on Tri Cities Green Building. I only recently figured out what DM means so if anyone has any additional info they can DM to me I would really appreciate it. We are looking to either buy an old home on land and remodel it with as many green building techniques as are available or to just buy the land and build from scratch also incorperating any green techniques. So any and all info is needed. I figure the more places/companies the more green we can make our home. Thanks again for any and all info!!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:07 AM

24 posts, read 69,932 times
Good Luck. I am building a house there and aimed for shades of "green" and managed to talk with one of the Coalition members. Other than that, I've been pretty much on my own. Get an architect to design what you want and put together the specs then try to find someone to build it to the specs. There are SIP contractors and sustainable wood companies and HVAC people who will do geo-thermal systems but my experience is that "green" takes a lot of green in that area. Oak Ridge Labs and US Energy Dept have a ton of information on the internet about efficient building techniques but I had to pick and choose those that would work for me and what the builders would build. I really wanted a geo-exchange heat pump but the bids were 2 to 3 times the price of air exchange heat pump systems. Even with current energy prices, the payoff would be years away. Even SIP (Structural Insulated Panels) were projected to be cost prohibitive because of the cost of other subcontractors so I added foam panels to the outside and achieved the same or better insulating values. The closest soy foam insulation company is in Asheville and it doesn't seem very green to have someone drive 100 miles to do the job.

If you truly want green and want to pay the price, get a good architect to do a very detailed set of plans and strong specifications that any builder can use. There are several in western North Carolina that are renowned for their use of passive solar and other green techniques and I'm sure there are many others available. There are many techniques such as value engineered framing to reduce structure, engineered wood products that don't off-gas, proper solar orientation (there are more heating days than cooling days), efficient windows and doors. Generally stick to energy star products.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 PM

troyv1...Thanks for the information. I wasn't expecting it to be that difficult there especially since parts of west NC are extremely into going green. I think it is worth it to pursue, so like you I will see what we can accomplish, and work from there. I believe you are correct about the really, really, good architect that will give us a strong base in which to begin. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol