Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM

134 posts, read 680,606 times

Advertisements

I met w/a Real Estate agent this week and he told me to not buy property in East TN because the defense budget is going to get slashed and that will dramatically impact East TN.

Agree/ disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 03:35 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
That agent is clueless on both counts. It's the growth rate of the defense budget that's targeted for cutting, not the budget itself. The proposed defense budget for 2010 is 4 percent higher than this year's.

Besides, outside of Oak Ridge & Knoxville, the defense industry is a very small part of East Tennessee's economy. I believe the largest defense contractor in NE Tenn. is BAE Systems in Kingsport, which operates the federally owned Holston Army Ammunition Plant.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Nuclear Fuels in Erwin makes all the fuel cells for the aircraft carriers and subs...the only place in the world that does. However, cutting budget and cutting off these military crafts only source of fuel are two way different things, won't happen.
Then again, they employ only about 250 people. Now if the country/world stopped needing plastic and Eastman Chemical was heading under, we may have issues here.
Funny, that Realtor can't read seeing as the last report that the Feds just released last week rated Kingsport MSA (a part of E.TN) the 3rd highest appreciation rate in the country.
I personally deal with real-estate investors from all over the country, they aren't complaining at all about their r.o.r.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 PM

10 posts, read 23,839 times
I am employed by the defense industry, and survived the Clinton cuts to the defense budget.

Let's put things in perspective, the AOL Time Warner merger a few years ago, involved more money than the entire aerospace / defense industry in our country. The lesson learned is that the aerospace / dense industry is a smaller part of our economy than a lot of people think. It is also a smaller part of the federal budget than a lot of people think.

Knowing this, I would look at the area in general. Any changes in the aerospace / defense industry would be insignificant, unless the area is highly invested in the aerospace / defense industry.

To be invested in the aerospace / defense industry, you require engineers and technicians. I wish that was true in the Tri - Cities area. I would find a job there in a heartbeat. As it is now, I plan to retire there. If you research the industries in the area, then you will not find, outside of Eastman, a hub of technology.

I am not saying this is a bad thing. If I am wrong, I would absolutely love hearing of a career opportunity in the area. Right now I am just counting down the days till retirement, and I can move to the Tri - Cities area.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Let me guess, the realtor is NOT in East TN and would rather you buy something in his/her area?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 AM

199 posts, read 529,285 times
Actually Bristol and Kingsport ranked 3rd in the united states based on home sale price apppreciation in 2008. To read the article click on the link below.

Kingsport - Bristol TN-VA ranked 3rd in nation for home sales price appreciation in '08 - Kingsport Times-News Online

Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
You might want to look up the tricities largest employers and see how many are related to defense. Not many.

Does anyone know how many are employed by the helicopter company in Piney Flats? I'd guess < 100.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
You might want to look up the tricities largest employers and see how many are related to defense. Not many.

Does anyone know how many are employed by the helicopter company in Piney Flats? I'd guess < 100.
I heard they just laid off 35.......... and they are private and not military.

Wonder why the OP hasn't been back to this thread?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
I thought they made the type of transport helis that were used by the military ... I could be wrong. Do you know what the company is called?

I'd bet making million $ helis is a pretty cyclical business.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Edwards & Associates, the helicopter company in Piney Flats, mostly sells and services commercial aircraft but they signed a $2.8 million service contract w/ the DoD in '07. They primarily refurbish old helicopters and complete new ones for their managing owner, Bell Helicopter. According to Manta, they employ(ed) 120 at their Piney Flats location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol