Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 11:45 PM

284 posts, read 759,431 times

Advertisements

When driving through Elizabethton today, I saw a church sign asking, "Have you SAW God today?" Honestly, folks, I just moved to the area, but I have NEVER seen anything like that on a public sign in my entire life. Is that REALLY how people speak around here???????????

Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,614,714 times
Hey it's a free country, right? I've spent almost two weeks in the tri-cities over the last six months. Basically hiking, touring the place and I never felt offended by too much religion. People didn't seem as religious down there as everyone makes it out to be. I think that's great, everyone seems to get along. Is this any different from an inappropriate billboard? Everyone has their opinions.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Are you talking about that "correct" grammar dictates "Have You Seen"? If so, don't even start. It's our dialect. We prefer it.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:16 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
When driving through Elizabethton today, I saw a church sign asking, "Have you SAW God today?" Honestly, folks, I just moved to the area, but I have NEVER seen anything like that on a public sign in my entire life. Is that REALLY how people speak around here???????????
I am going to throw out some things to ponder:

Perhaps SAW had a hidden meaning or the initials stood for something going on inside the church (think Unicef)

Maybe the person that placed the sign up isn't using proper grammar but doesn't mean that Carter Co, Elizabethton, other parishoners or even his momma all "talk" like that

With God, as long as the glory is His, should we care the grammar that is used or what people wear to church? Instead of putting down the grammar, should we be happy that people in Carter County have a church and take their time and effort to post messages?

Perhaps you can call the church and talk to them about the sign and see what they have to say.

It is unlikely that the people on this forum will be able to answer your question. It is difficult to imagine that one group of people on one forum will know how everyone in a county speaks.

And, in the end, does it really matter?

You said you just moved here. Did you come and spend time here and talk with the locals prior to moving? How were those interactions? At any rate, Welcome Home to Tennessee.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:14 AM

166 posts, read 511,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Hey it's a free country, right? I've spent almost two weeks in the tri-cities over the last six months. Basically hiking, touring the place and I never felt offended by too much religion. People didn't seem as religious down there as everyone makes it out to be. I think that's great, everyone seems to get along. Is this any different from an inappropriate billboard? Everyone has their opinions.
Perhaps as somebody already religious, it may not have seemed like so much. In the last two weeks I've had several religious groups at my door, I've been stopped while trying to leave stores, had pamphlets shoved in my hand, offered free food and coffee if I "just listened" and a while ago I read a church sign that said "God doesn't believe in Atheists, therefore they do not exist" at a W Unaka church. Atheist was also spelled wrong - only humor there. I was also asked several times while I was working in retail which church I went to and how I liked it. I lost several sales because I told them I chose not to attend church.

Honestly when I first moved here I thought the religious stuff wasn't so bad, but it creeps in over time. I'm not trying to change the area - I don't care what people try to believe - but when I have to start bringing my dog outside to the door with me to keep them from being on top of me while trying to get me to buy their religion - I have issues.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:22 AM

426 posts, read 1,273,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post

Perhaps SAW had a hidden meaning or the initials stood for something going on inside the church (think Unicef).
Maybe they are building a Habitat for Humanity house.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:24 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
Maybe they are building a Habitat for Humanity house.
Hahahahaha, I like it! One never knows!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:38 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,807,708 times
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd14/kamoshika93/Godlovesgoodgrammar.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-18-2009, 10:57 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times
umm....ok...I consider myself a pretty educated person with a large vocabulary......but what does THAT mean?

Heading off to pull out the dictionary.

Add/edit:
"grammarian
Noun
a person who studies or writes about grammar for a living"

Oh....ROFL!!!!! Never heard of a Grammarian before....now that is a funny sign.
And before anyone thinks I am saying something I am not, I get that sign to read "Don't sweat the small stuff in life-God"

Old 07-18-2009, 11:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Nice, kam. Did you get that off the site that lets you put whatever you want on signs?

Bailey, I'm not sure what to make of your story. You must live in a strange part of town. I've lived in Johnson City two years now. I've had one person come to my door (hot, hot Mormon boys!!! I don't mind them. ) and one person ask me at work - admittedly it was a very strange incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol