Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times

Advertisements

I frequently shop at Belk and Dillard's. The majority of help that I receive is from Russian employees, so I don't see the argument that people in Knoxville don't hire people of Russian descent.

We are in the middle of a recession. Knoxville has a better unemployment rate than most in the state and a lot of the country, but it is still 8 percent, and that means it is going to take a lot longer than 3 weeks.

Keep your chin up and try to stay positive. It really helps when looking for a job. Talk to everyone you come across. Smile. Best of luck to you and I mean that!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:45 AM

37 posts, read 61,377 times
Thank you, hiknapster!What mall are you talking about?West or East?I live close to West Mall and I have not seen any single Russian employee. I am trying to find an office job and I hope it will happen soon. I did not try to offend anybody, it is just I really have never ever had a problem with finding a job before. But , probably, it is just a bad luck.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochmoigh View Post
You are having problems finding work. Welcome to this job market. It is very hard to find good jobs here. You have to know people. I am underpaid for my position, is it discrimination? no it's the market. As far as your friend goes, go to a hospital, or a police station. Offer your services, there is a need for translators. She is evidently not looking hard enough. Did you try a recruiter? You do have some 'tude rocking and it will show in your demeanor. Your fiance is not going to find a history job around here very easily. not in demand. My suggestion? take some IT classes, take some classes that will equate to opportunity.

You came on the board and asked for opinion. You don't seem to like what you got in the way of response. You said that people in knoxville hate mexicans, I ma positive that there are mexicans who hate knoxvillians. So what? Move on. Network, ask for help on this board, don't gripe and complain. People are generally helpful if you are nice.
I really do not understand how some people can make their opinion about somebody who they have never met. I did not complain, I just said what happened and I have gotten only few adequate replies from people. I am not interested in IT classes because I want to do something I love and I love law and want to work in the field I love!Moreover, I have taken enough classes already and I am just planning to get my Phd in the future!And my friend is trying hard enough as long as I know and I do not understand how you can assume that she is not trying hard enough without knowing her!!!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaDan View Post
Thank you, hiknapster!What mall are you talking about?West or East?I live close to West Mall and I have not seen any single Russian employee. I am trying to find an office job and I hope it will happen soon. I did not try to offend anybody, it is just I really have never ever had a problem with finding a job before. But , probably, it is just a bad luck.
No. It is the recession.

Off the top of my head. West Town Mall. Belk and Dillard's>Clarins make-up counter. Belk>Children's counter. Dillard's>Housewares. There's more. I just can't be sure where they are. But those places, I am positive they are there.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 AM

72 posts, read 165,165 times
LanaDan, I am a legal professional as well. I only have an A.S. in paralegal, but I have over 15 years of experience. It took me over 6 months to find a job here in Tampa, Florida; and we have a lot more available legal jobs than Knoxville. I remember the days where I could walk away from a job I didn't like and have another one within a week or two . . . those days are long gone. It is just the job market. Employers these days receive so many resumes from their ads that they can afford to take their time and be very choosy about who they interview. You said you have two degrees and two years of experience -- some employers may consider you "overqualified" (which translates into . . . we don't want to pay you as much as your education warrants). I was actually let go from a job because I was "overqualified" -- basically the employer found that money was tight and figured he would let me go and hire someone with less experience who would accept much less than I would. Are you tailoring your resume for each job? If you are sending the same basic resume to everyone, it could be a problem. I took a class last year which was about searching for a job in today's market and the new internet/email applications and tailoring your resume for each job was considered the best thing to do. I would suggest you go to an employment agency -- have them look over your resume and they can give you advice on any changes that might need to be made. They are usually tuned in to what the local employers like to see on resumes and how best to format it. I wish you the best of luck in your job search.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
No. It is the recession.

Off the top of my head. West Town Mall. Belk and Dillard's>Clarins make-up counter. Belk>Children's counter. Dillard's>Housewares. There's more. I just can't be sure where they are. But those places, I am positive they are there.
Thank you! I will try to find them in the mall. I know only few Russians in Knoxville and it would be awesome to meet more of them!Thank you for your advices. I am trying to stay positive and keep searching :-)

Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiloosMom View Post
LanaDan, I am a legal professional as well. I only have an A.S. in paralegal, but I have over 15 years of experience. It took me over 6 months to find a job here in Tampa, Florida; and we have a lot more available legal jobs than Knoxville. I remember the days where I could walk away from a job I didn't like and have another one within a week or two . . . those days are long gone. It is just the job market. Employers these days receive so many resumes from their ads that they can afford to take their time and be very choosy about who they interview. You said you have two degrees and two years of experience -- some employers may consider you "overqualified" (which translates into . . . we don't want to pay you as much as your education warrants). I was actually let go from a job because I was "overqualified" -- basically the employer found that money was tight and figured he would let me go and hire someone with less experience who would accept much less than I would. Are you tailoring your resume for each job? If you are sending the same basic resume to everyone, it could be a problem. I took a class last year which was about searching for a job in today's market and the new internet/email applications and tailoring your resume for each job was considered the best thing to do. I would suggest you go to an employment agency -- have them look over your resume and they can give you advice on any changes that might need to be made. They are usually tuned in to what the local employers like to see on resumes and how best to format it. I wish you the best of luck in your job search.
Thank you very much! I agree with you on everything you said. My goal now is to get any office job, thus I think I really need to change my resume. I am willing to work for 8-10 $ per hour just to start my career and I have to make my resume to look like I am willing to work for less. Thank you very much for your advice and support!!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:13 PM

35 posts, read 65,984 times
Sorry a little confused from your original post. Are you having trouble finding "any" job? or just a job that you want? If the latter, expect to wait as that is the case in any part of the country. For the former, what about taking a restaurant job or something similar until you land your ideal job?

I will be moving to Knoxville at the end of the year. My wife has a transfer lined up in the restaurant business and she will also have a massage therapist job lined up as well. For me, I won't have anything guaranteed lined up. I do freelance photography and design but its not consistent income. I will be looking for fulltime work once I get up there but in the mean time will take a restaurant position to get by if need be. I can only assume those types of positions are available as turn around is high in that industry. Have you looked into that?

Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,909 times
Hmmm
I dont recall you mentioning where you are from?
Could you tell us?
Here is the deal. And I will try to be as P.C. as I possibly can.
A majority of Americans (natural born and naturalized) are really pissed off about illegal immigration and the Federal Governments refusal to enforce the immigration laws. This frustration about the impact that illegal imigration has on our society can sometimes find unfortunate avenues of expression. The unfortunate thing is that sometimes law abiding immigrants that have followed the rules, Like you. Are lumped into that same catagory and are unfairly penalized.
Here is another fact you must consider. When every job opening generates a stack of resumes 6" tall the person screening applicants will find easy ways to shorten the stack. For instance I have heard that all resumes from out of towners get round filed. Same goes for people without degrees. (even for entry level jobs). Next criteria might be they are looking for verifiable local experience. Not saying its right, just that it happens and with so many applicants for every job the employers can be and are very very selective on who they hire.

Last edited by tigger37708; 07-09-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 02:12 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,856,829 times
Just a thought, but you might really want to consider moving to the DC/Northern Virginia area, which right now probably has the most jobs, and government ones as well. The area is very diverse, also very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville