Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:41 PM

189 posts, read 566,746 times

Advertisements

I can give you a very good agent referral if you would like, please PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Usually, if the title company is holding money in an escrow account for repairs it is due to approval by the mortgage company being contingent on certain repairs being done. There is usually a timeframe involved, too, such as "repairs on roof must begin in 48 hours."

This all comes back to what your mortgage broker's or bank's underwriter approves and has nothing to do with the real estate agent. However, once again, the buyer is more than welcome to put in an offer to purchase with any amount he is willing to pay and the agent must submit that offer.

And the OP dealt directly with Uncle Sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Woods View Post
I am also a licensed TN Realtor and my understanding was that allowances at closing not acceptable. However, there are ways around everything:

1. Make the allowance part of your closing cost assistance. In most loans, closing cost assistance can be up to 6% of the purchase price, but usually 2.5-3.5%.

This way if you were already paying your closing cost, you will have the money in your pocket to complete your appliance purchase. This is a way around what you are trying to accomplish.

-----------------

I will say this. I have done two closings this year where the attorney/title company did allow money to be credited for repairs at closing. My most recent issue was where there was inadequate insulation in an attic (discovered at final walk-thru in July) when original purchase and sales date was March (cooler weather). The attorney allowed a $1,200.00 repair allowance for insulation and my broker and cooperating broker agreed.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:04 AM

49 posts, read 141,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald cherry View Post
and dont forget the higher the price ,the more the realtor makes,,,,,,,,,,so if you take an allowance less for the realtor, poor realtor???
I just wanted to clear up a misconception that most people have, on behalf of my fellow realtors out there . While it is true that a realtor makes more money on a higher sales price, the amount they make is barely anything when we are talking about a few thousand dollars in concessions/allowances, etc. We don't make 3% or 6% of the sales price. We have to split that with our broker, pay our self-employment taxes, gas, supplies, and not to mention thousands per year for insurance, realtor membership, lock and key rental, and much more. On say, a $3k reduction in sales price, one realtor will take around $60 less, not including all of the taxes, expenses, etc. So really, realtors could care less about these lower/higher prices. I can't tell you how many times I have recommended that my buyer clients go up by $1000 or so during negotiations, when I can just "feel" this in them, that they think my motivation to do this is so that I make more money. It may make me $10 more dollars!!! I just want them to get the house they want. I have seen them look at me kind of funny (with distrust b/c I am a realtor I guess), and disagree, then lose the house of their dreams over $1000, or a dollar per month in payment (or whatever the calculation may be) because they didn't take my advice, that was meant to help them. After this happens once or twice though, they "get it" and start taking my advice. It is just the way it is though. I do understand that you can't trust people these days though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: