Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM

33 posts, read 155,248 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are planning to relocate to TN right after Christmas. I was looking at Knoxville, however, Maryville seems to be more along the lines of where we would like to finish raising our kids and "retire" later. Can anyone tell me about the school system? We have a high school student and 2 middle schoolers. I home school right now because Tampa Florida has ROTTEN schools and want to make sure the schools are local "in the town of Maryville" and are SAFE. We are also wondering if there are homes or mobile homes with land enough for vegetable garden and if things like chickens are allowed. We are Baptists and wonder if Maryville has Baptist churchs-Independent or Southern Baptist. Moving our whole family and closing our business here is very scary but we would like a better life for our children and ourselves away from the "citified" people and lifestyle. Anyone with info on Maryville- and I mean anything good or bad- please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,149,369 times
Smile Welcome to the Knoxville forum, tnwannabe.

I am not yet a resident of Maryville, but will be within the next year. It is a lovely town and does have an excellent school system. Many on this forum highly recommend the Maryville schools. If you have elementary school children, the Foothills Elementary School if often commended in posts as being a very desirable elementary school.

Being new to the forum maybe doing a search would be of some help to you. On the blue bar near the top of this page you will see "Search". If you click on it you will be given a blank box and the option to look for "threads" or "posts". Enter "Maryville schools" in the search box and indicate "posts". You will see 18 pages of posts on Maryville schools.

Also, if you go to the city-data link below it will give you tons of information on Maryville itself.
www.city-data.com/city/Maryville-Tennessee

Here is a lovely photo tour of Maryville posted by TedTAce.
www.hubbart.org/NoVnePhotography/Maryville/]City of Maryville Tennessee Photo Tour

Old 11-05-2007, 01:03 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,419,544 times
Just wanted to add that, while I believe all of Maryville schools are good, it's the ones within the city limits that are very highly recommended.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM

Thumbs up In town schools!

Thanks for adding that, bbkaren. I did forget that important detail that has been mentioned quite a bit on the school threads.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 AM

812 posts, read 1,679,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post

Here is a lovely photo tour of Maryville posted by TedTAce.
www.hubbart.org/NoVnePhotography/Maryville/]City of Maryville Tennessee Photo Tour
Let's try that again

City of Maryville Tennessee Photo Tour

Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,673,000 times
You'll find plenty of Baptist churches in Maryville and throughout the area. Everything from huge complexes with schools to tiny storefronts.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,371,859 times
I find the original question to be odd. Clearly, you are moving in a couple of months but have done little to no research. How do I know? Becuase if you knew anything about Tennessee you would know that Baptist churches are located on every street corner.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:14 PM

13,366 posts, read 40,049,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I find the original question to be odd. Clearly, you are moving in a couple of months but have done little to no research. How do I know? Becuase if you knew anything about Tennessee you would know that Baptist churches are located on every street corner.
Seriously, and not to mention that the Southern Baptist Convention is headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee.

But back to the original post, yes the schools in Maryville are excellent, but make sure you're within the city limits. If you're looking for acreage, you'll probably have to live in the county which is not the same school system. Not that Blount County schools are bad, but they're don't have the same good reputation that Maryville's city schools have.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:39 PM

Wink Ahhhh. My white knight in shining armor to the rescue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
Thank you sooo much, TedT. Everyone on the forum must know by now that I am just the pits when it comes to cutting and pasting or trying an attachment!

I promise to get into a computer class at UT when I get here for good. I will forever keep trying to everyone's dismay!!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 AM

33 posts, read 155,248 times
to hiknapster-clearly, I find your response very rude. I have been researching Tennesse for 8 months! My reseach reveals that Knoxville has 1/3 of the crime that Memphis or Nashville has, Knoxville is rated 5th on Forbes list for desireable cities to relocate to because of cost of living versus income ratio-and I found this to be true when researching jobs and real estate for sale, Knox Co. schools are rated good to very good in the national stanie scores. The research that can be done on the internet does not account for human opinion regarding the city in which you live and I guess that you do not comprehend that this is research! I guess I was wrong to assume that city forum would provide opinions on a human level and not insults. Clearly you should not be responding to inquires if you are that rude. I hope the residents in and around Knoxville are not as rude and presumptous as you! To the rest of the responders, thank you very much for your time to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville