Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 8,945 times

Advertisements

I've been accepted into a Masters program at UT and may have financial incentive to make the move. I'll be visiting at the end of next week and hope someone might be able to point me to some cool places and things to check out.

To make this easy, I'll just go ahead and classify myself as a hipster. Most of the things hipsters like, I like, and the places they want to live, I want to live.

I'm hoping my short trip will convince me that my perception of Knoxville is wrong (I am trying to be open-minded, though).

I want to have a good time. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:38 AM

610 posts, read 1,626,707 times
Knoxville is a southern town and does have its share of hipsters, but it isn't as common as in larger cities. But I believe there is an eclectic mix and anyone can find things they enjoy here.
Live downtown, or nearby. Places you may like to frequent are the Grotto, Sassy Ann's, Preservation Pub. I would definitely start out touring Market Square and the Old City, there are some neat tucked-away shops, some vintage clothing. If you want to venture out from downtown, Union Jack's is a cool little British bar, and Rouxbarb is a trendy restaurant next to it. Coffeehouses that have cool live music are Remedy and Old City Java. There used to be a great place in Bearden/Homberg area-can't find it-perhaps is gone. There is the Gourmet Market in that area... You can Google all these, I'm sure.
Hope you enjoy your visit!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,945 times
I'll check these places out! Thanks!

Old 04-02-2011, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 16,489 times
You might like some places in Maryville too, its a small historic little town. "Downtown" Maryville is great a few smaller bars that have live music. Most of the 'Hipsters' I know hang out at a place called Brackins. Its a tiny little blues bar full of great people. Two doors down from there is another good place rightly named Two Doors Down. There are some great little shops, coffee shops, And organic restaurant called Tomato Heads.
In the summer on the last friday of every month Maryville has an "Art Walk". All up and down Broadway(the main road in downtown Maryville) Its awesome! I think you can google it for the website too. If you like any kind of country music, Maryville hosts the Foothills Fall Festival. Even If you dont like country music its an awesome little festival just to walk around.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 PM

27 posts, read 56,150 times
You need to visit our downtown area. There a great resturants and great haunts. Always bustling. Great place to eat in the ols City call Crown and Goose. Also, Market Street has really hip places too.
Bearden area is very walkable and the housing is good . It is a historical area and there is always something going on. The best paper to use to find what is happening in the area is Metro Pulse.
www.metropulse.com.

One note. Our major bridge to South Knoxville is under reconstruction and will be for 2 years. There are ways around that if you want to visit the Smokey Mountains and Gatlinburg.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 PM

82 posts, read 201,059 times
4th and Gill is probably your bag. Lots of arty kids with Buddy Holly glasses and skinny jeans who drink PBR tallboys and listen to bands you've never heard of make up a sizeable minority (?) of residents. Definitely not far from UT, and there are some shortcuts that help out. The Old North sector of what was once downtown before the interstate came through is in the process of being revitalized, and you can find a fair amount of hipsterish places tucked into the area, some of which you may have to discover by word of mouth (doesn't get more hipsterish than that). I was talked into going to one of them last new years and was introduced to one individual who called everything "bougie" (short for bourgeoisie), if that's an indication. A lot of Market Square and (to a lesser extent) the Old City (the Pilot Light is where you're going to want to visit) cater to that crowd as well.

Lol, I like to think that I can't stand hipsters, but the reality is I'm probably more of one myself than I want to realize. Of course, once you realize it you're not cool anymore...

Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,364,007 times
Fourth and Gill is mostly traditional and gay families that dedicated a lot of effort to restoring these homes or just enjoy living in them. A lot of the people are white and blue-collar folks that enjoy living in a gentrified neighborhood.

I can definitely see Old City, the corridor up to Broadway and even Happy Holler and Old North Knox being very "right now." Parkridge, the area around the co-op and the downtown lofts, Gay Street and Market Square have a lot of the same vibe, too. Some of Bearden and even Sutherland Ave have a bit of that new pioneer fringe spirit.

I think hipster really runs the risk of being pretentious, though, and can carry an Asheville, Chelsea tragically hip vibe that Knoxville lacks. And that's a good thing. I tend to look at Knoxville as being cool for all the right reasons like caring for the community, frequently the local businesses, bonding together for the greater good supporting the local farms, policing and cleaning up the neighborhoods. That's Knoxville. If you're trying too hard you missed the point.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 AM

82 posts, read 201,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Fourth and Gill is mostly traditional and gay families that dedicated a lot of effort to restoring these homes or just enjoy living in them. A lot of the people are white and blue-collar folks that enjoy living in a gentrified neighborhood.
Yeah, as I said, "hipsters" are a "sizeable minority"; the only reason there was a question mark is because they constitute most of the people I know who live there (many of whom I consider friends, hah), but I'm in my mid 20's like they are, and having not lived there myself I don't personally know the majority of the folks who do. Most of the younger people there live in rental houses (which still tend to be quite nice in that neighborhood) and apartments (there are definitely some cool and well-kept up apartment complexes from the same time period as the houses that can be quite a bargain). There is undeniably a noticeable presence, but it's certainly not even close to the same young-folks dominance one might see in Fort Sanders, for instance; however, hipsters are also a different set than your typical college kids and tend to have a disdain for them (and pretty much everyone else, but I digress...). I don't know if the preponderance might be greater in Old North, but it might as (I think) prices are typically a little lower, especially as you head towards Lincoln Park/Oakwood, which is a more homogenous blue collar family-oriented neighborhood. The aforementioned Mr. "Bougie" lives in Parkridge off East Fifth (in an exceptionally beautiful house, I might add), which probably carries a higher hipster street cred but with a notably smaller presence.

I think you may have to define what you mean by "hipster." Not many hipsters would admit to being hipsters, and it's really a subculture of its own, one that carries a lot of negative connotations but has a pretty interesting etymology. Asheville is more dominated by "hippies" and would-be hippies, less so the illegitimate offspring of Sonic Youth meets ironically commercialized indie culture. If that was harsh...well...I don't know how else to say it, but I'm not implying this reflects on you, and as long as you're being true to yourself it's all good with me.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 AM

14 posts, read 28,826 times
so I guess I have to ask.....what exactly is a Hipster?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM

610 posts, read 1,626,707 times
Wiki:
Hipster is a slang term that first appeared in the 1940s, and was revived in the 2000s and 2010s to describe types of young, recently settled urban middle class adults and older teenagers with interests in indie rock, independent film, magazines such as Vice and Clash, and websites like Pitchfork Media.[1] In some contexts, hipsters are also referred to as scenesters.[2]
"Hipster" has been used in sometimes contradictory ways, making it difficult to precisely define "hipster culture" because it is a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior[s]."[1] One commentator argues that "hipsterism fetishizes the authentic" elements of all of the "fringe movements of the postwar era—beat, hippie, punk, even grunge," and draws on the "cultural stores of every unmelted ethnicity", and "regurgitates it with a winking inauthenticity."[3] Others, like Arsel and Thompson, argue that hipster is a cultural mythology, crystallization of a mass mediated stereotype generated to understand, categorize and marketize the indie consumer culture rather than an objectified group of people.[4]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville