Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnPeace View Post
I for one wouldn't move without a job lined up. Yes, the unemployment rate is lower there than many other cities in the country; however, I wouldn't want to chance it with neither one of you having a job lined up. We're looking to move there too, but my husband will transfer which will help quite a bit. As for the cost of living, it is low all around; however, the wages tend to be on the lower side too. It washes in the long run, but I venture to say many have moved there thinking that they were escaping a high cost of living area to find out that they also aren't going to get the wages they had in the city they moved from either. Just go in with your eyes open, and know what you're getting in to. If you've never been there, you really need to visit first. One persons paradise may not be your paradise. It saves a lot of disappointment, time, and money. If you like it, great. Good luck.
Great advice!

I do want to point out one thing which probably does not affect this poster but may be pertinent to others. Yes, it often is a wash when it comes to wages vs. cost of living. But not always. If I were to move back to Mass., for example, the wages are much higher in many cases but the cost of living is breathtakingly high.

Comparing my electric bill with my mother's is a perfect example. We have almost the same square footage but she is in an inside condo that is three floors and I am in a ranch. She uses a fraction of the electricity that I do, she doesn't have a computer or even a microwave (she thinks there could be a nuclear meltdown in her kitchen!). On average, her electric bill is $700 and mine is $100.

Don't even get me started on taxes, including the sneaky ones like excise tax that they have up there and other places, too. Tennessee is 47th in the country for tax burden.

I just wanted to point that out because if you are coming from some places it might be a wash but not everywhere by a mile. I've lived in Florida and Mass. and I am far ahead living here. I couldn't survive being single in Mass. and had to move and Florida was surprisingly not that much better, yet I am fine living here.

I also got a good job in less than a month but I think I have a lot more experience as the original poster. His military service won't hurt him, though. But I still think he needs to find a job before he moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Don't even get me started on taxes, including the sneaky ones like excise tax that they have up there and other places, too. Tennessee is 47th in the country for tax burden.
Good news! Tennessee is now 50th in tax burden:

The Tax Foundation - Tax Freedom Day by State, 2012

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Good news! Tennessee is now 50th in tax burden:

The Tax Foundation - Tax Freedom Day by State, 2012
JMT, the webpage you posted is confusing. I am trying to understand why states in that list are not ranked in order.

Maybe you meant to post this one? The Tax Foundation - Ranking State and Local Sales Taxes

Old 04-07-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
JMT, the webpage you posted is confusing. I am trying to understand why states in that list are not ranked in order.

Maybe you meant to post this one? The Tax Foundation - Ranking State and Local Sales Taxes
No, what you posted is the rankings for just sales taxes. What I posted is the rankings when all state and local taxes are combined. And when all state, local, and federal taxes--sales tax, income tax, property tax, etc.--are combined, Tennessee has the lowest over all tax burden in the country.

It was also covered in the News Sentinel:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/ap...st-tax-burden/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 PM

51 posts, read 101,529 times
Knox is like the 8th fastest growing city in the country and 2nd or 3rd in Tennessee. There are a lot of opportunities here and our economy is a bit more sheltered compared to other areas. This is so because we have a lot of government labs, a big university, and other manufacturing facilities like Alcoa, Denso, etc that haven't been hit as hard.

I have noticed a big increase in hiring the past month here. I was recently looking for a job here and could find nothing in Dec, Jan, Feb, and early March but then 2 weeks I got offered 5 positions within 2 days. If you have some savings and are risk takers then move over here, find some part-time or temporary employment while you look for a better/more desired job in the area. At my new place of employment there are people from Virginia, Kansas, Michigan, and California and they were all surprised at the amount of opportunities here compared to where they came from.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:18 AM

Actually, Knoxville was named in the top 10 fastest growing cities in the country and it's the only one in Tenn. so named.

10 fastest growing U.S. cities - Knoxville, Tenn. (8) - CNNMoney

Old 04-08-2012, 12:27 PM

67 posts, read 103,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Actually, Knoxville was named in the top 10 fastest growing cities in the country and it's the only one in Tenn. so named.

10 fastest growing U.S. cities - Knoxville, Tenn. (8) - CNNMoney
Good article. I never realized how much Knoxville was growing until I started frequenting this forum. There are a lot of people in the very least interested in moving to Knoxville. Some make it there, others don't. I just hope it doesn't totally get out of hand like other places have had happen to them. Growth is good. Uncontrolled growth is not. I might be a little selfish, but I like Knoxville as it is.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Good article. I never realized how much Knoxville was growing until I started frequenting this forum. There are a lot of people in the very least interested in moving to Knoxville. Some make it there, others don't. I just hope it doesn't totally get out of hand like other places have had happen to them. Growth is good. Uncontrolled growth is not. I might be a little selfish, but I like Knoxville as it is.
It is an extremely misleading article. Knoxville's city, county, and MSA populations are NOT among the 10 fastest growing in the US. Far from it. It is Knoxville's urbanized area that is among the 10 fastest growing, and only because all of Oak Ridge, Clinton, Lenoir City, and parts of Blount and Sevier counties were added to Knoxville's urbanized area for 2010--of which they were not a part in 2000. All this was explained a few posts ago in this very thread.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
The article says that Knoxville has the best employment outlook in the country! I also love that it mentions the schools and the low crime. We have a high crime rate but Tennessee records its crime different than some states and it artificially inflates it. Great write up but it is one of many kudos we've received over the years.

I agree, though. I've always said that if Knoxville turned into another Southwest Florida I would move. I've lived in that sort of special hell and I won't do it again. But I chose this area because I could see that group moving to North Carolina. I've also found that the crowd that likes South Florida and North Carolina doesn't seem to do that well in Tennessee, in general. If they do move here, they usually end up moving away.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:26 PM

67 posts, read 103,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
It is an extremely misleading article. Knoxville's city, county, and MSA populations are NOT among the 10 fastest growing in the US. Far from it. It is Knoxville's urbanized area that is among the 10 fastest growing, and only because all of Oak Ridge, Clinton, Lenoir City, and parts of Blount and Sevier counties were added to Knoxville's urbanized area for 2010--of which they were not a part in 2000. All this was explained a few posts ago in this very thread.
Good to know. Didn't see the earlier posts. By the time they do the census next time, they will change how the areas population is figured again I'm sure. I don't doubt Knoxville is growing though. Maybe not with the fervor as they make it seem. I'm for growth, but within reason and it not getting out of hand. I like the fact that Knoxville on paper looks like a fairly large metro area, but doesn't feel like it. With all that, you still have the amenities on top of it that many larger cities have. Kind of the best of both worlds. Fairly rural and urban within a short distance of each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville