Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:25 AM

7 posts, read 29,927 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys most of the stuff helped, what mbmouse said making me think I should just be carefull of what area I would move into.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:33 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Smile Like to add my two cents, please, as a searcher.

Actually, DownSouth, people have to be careful of what area they move into anywhere in the country. We all have particular wants, needs, and interests in a new community that we adopt as our own.

It is easy to do some research on an area from afar, but until you actually sit in a restaurant and listen to the activity around you, or visit the parks and see parents interacting with their kids, and go to the shopping areas to check prices, what's offered, etc., and talk to the town folk's who are working at the gas station you fill up at or your waitress at Ruby Tuesday, you won't know if you are moving into an area that you "feel good" in.

Knoxville has one of the country's best universities and all of the perks that a large college town has to offer. Lots of diverse cultures, occupations, income levels, etc. just as mbmouse pointed out.

It is rich in history, proud of its past and present. You will have a tough time finding any good size town in the Southeast that doesn't have the same attributes.

I am not currently living in TN (GA is our home for now), but cannot wait to make our move to the Knoxville area within the year. But, we have been searching by visiting various areas and have made several trips to Knoxville. It took only one visit to Maryville for us to find "home".

I am sure that your special place is out there somewhere, and maybe it is in Knoxville, or some place else. Everyone who lives in E.TN wants you to realize that there is some of every culture you can imagine in a metro area and the further out you travel the more localized culture is present. None of that is bad. It's good for those who live there.

Happy hunting. Hope all of these posts helped in some way.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:52 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Good grief!

It's Knoxville, not hicksville; it is a city with cosmopolitan people, as well as, yes, rednecks and hillbillies, and, while they probably don't attend one another's parties, they do manage to coexist in a city that has 182,000 people within the city limits and at least triple that number in the county sprawl.

These days, a Knoxvillian is much more likely to live in a $400K brick house than attend a Clan meeting and is probably every bit as likely to enjoy the occasional Grande non-fat latte or work out at Crunch as be into Nascar. There's room for everybody in a growing city, and Knoxville is indisputably, unreservedly growing. You just have to pick the neighborhood that suits you. Most assuredly, it's out there, and if not here, then somewhere else.

Just my two cents worth, marked down to free!

Old 08-11-2007, 05:06 PM

Right on, goodbyehollywood! I might as well mark my two cents down to free too. You took the words right out of my mouth and said it much clearer than I ever could.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:14 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
I find Knoxville to be the best of all worlds.
A K-towner is likely to pull his truck into the drive-in at Starbucks to pick up his latte on his way to the NASCAR race at Bristol where the company he owns has a suite to entertain customers.
His kids play soccer as well as football, he's got season tickets to the Vol games as well as the symphony and his company supports the Rossini Opera Festival as well as a bass fishing tournament.
You can find just about any lifestyle you want here. That's what I like about Knoxville.
And people here have a good sense of humor and sense of the absurd.
Some white supremiists, from outside the area, are determined to turn the murder of two young people into a hate crime. They held a rally about it downtown a couple of weeks ago.
Knoxvillians staged a counter-rally. They dressed in clown suits.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:26 PM

That is exactly what has attracted us to the area, knoxgarden, plus craft fairs, bluegrass, UT for our son, and so much more. We are interested in all of those things (Well, except the white supremist group thing. But, we would look pretty good in those clown suits.)

Old 08-11-2007, 06:05 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
I think all that should be said has been said and that this thread should be closed.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:04 PM

592 posts, read 2,135,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSouth View Post
Sounds like everything I hate

Nascar- hate
Dirty people who spit- hate
To stupid to be able to talk to the general public- hate
People who obsess about church- hate
Country music- hate
War- hate

Is Knoxville city the same way?
You do seem to be pretty highly educated and well to do!

By the way, it's "too" in the context you're using it in...but I'll assume you knew that already.

You belong in a place like St. Joseph, MO.

As for me, since moving to Knoxville about a month ago, I can honestly say it's one of the nicest places I've lived and I really enjoy it here.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:11 PM

I agree with you, SmokyMtnGal. This has no place else to go.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:15 PM

23 posts, read 80,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSouth View Post
Sounds like everything I hate

Nascar- hate
Dirty people who spit- hate
To stupid to be able to talk to the general public- hate
People who obsess about church- hate
Country music- hate
War- hate

Is Knoxville city the same way?
Wow, that's a lot of hate coming from one person, especially one who doesn't seem to care to be around people who also might hate.

--Don't like NASCAR? Don't watch it.
--Dirty people who spit? Wash, swallow and hang with cleaner people.
--Too stupid to carry a conversation? Talk to someone else, or take time to educate them (perhaps years, but so what?).
--Christ-driven? Stay out of church, since hate isn't a Christian value and you seem to have a lot of it.
--Country music? Listen to rock.
--War? Don't fight. Someone else will just fight for you so you can continue to hate everyone.

I personally like Formula 1. I hang around clean people who are reasonably educated (enough to know the difference between "there" and "their", anyway). Most of my friends are members of my church; that's also where I met my wife. I keep my radio tuned to rock. And I find war is the answer for fighting evil when that's what it takes.

Hopefully, you'll only partially hate me, but I won't bother hating you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville