Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM

4 posts, read 6,187 times

Advertisements

we are planing to move to oak ridge tenn in june would like to know what areas should we not want to live in and are the place there that are for rent is easy to rent or do they require you life history. we are going to make a trip to tenn in may to hoping to have interviews set up and then we could find a place to rent. I know that it is early but i would like to get things started soon so when we move we dont have alot to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
Most places will probably require at least a credit report.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM

13 posts, read 24,374 times
I don't know if you specifically want to live within the city limits of Oak Ridge, but you will get a lot more for your money if you rent in a nearby community like Clinton or Oliver Springs.

If you are set on Oak Ridge, you should know that the city utility department now requires you to make a $300 deposit in order to get electric service in your name. This alone is a pretty good reason to choose a neighboring community.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
If I had to live in Anderson County - and I prefer not to - I would take Oak Ridge over Clinton and Oliver Springs, any day. Oak Ridge certainly isn't expensive regarding home prices so there isn't any need to look elsewhere.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If I had to live in Anderson County - and I prefer not to - I would take Oak Ridge over Clinton and Oliver Springs, any day. Oak Ridge certainly isn't expensive regarding home prices so there isn't any need to look elsewhere.

I know Anderson county does not have the amenities of Knoxville and the Knox county but it sure is pretty up that way. Cumberland mountain views everywhere, nice and quiet. If you do want the city things in Knoxville its a short drive to get to them.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I know Anderson county does not have the amenities of Knoxville and the Knox county but it sure is pretty up that way. Cumberland mountain views everywhere, nice and quiet. If you do want the city things in Knoxville its a short drive to get to them.
It's pretty in some spots but it is pretty in most of East Tenn. Specifically, I don't care for the schools. I don't like the look of Clinton, either. It seems a bit gritty, especially for a small town. Parts of it - and some of Oliver Springs - seem very um, meth-head-like, for lack of a better term.

No place is perfect including Knoxville and Oak Ridge. Heck, all things equal I prefer to not live in Oak Ridge, either. But the vibe in those towns is something I simply want to avoid. I'm sure there are great places to live there and most of its residents are quite happy. But it isn't for me.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Point taken about the methheads hiknapster, no doubt more rural areas seem to have more of a meth issue then does Knox county. I still cant figure out what makes people want to do that, when you see what it does to people you would think that would be a deterent. I dont get it.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
There's no visible homeless in Oak Ridge like there is in Knoxville.

If you work and live in Oak Ridge, your commute will be a breeze.

If you can scrounge up the down payment, condos and houses are very affordable to buy compared to renting.

Our electric just went up.

If you are a big time shopper, you would probably be happier in Knoxville. Same goes for entertainment.

In my opinion, the nicest neighborhoods are between Lafayette (a street that connects the Oak Ridge Turnpike to Illinois Ave) and Melton Hill Lake. Take a look at this neighborhood map and run your cursor over the houses to see the names:

Oak Ridge Chamber of Commerce - Community > Housing

Briarcliff, Emory Valley, Emory Heights, River's Edge, Centennial Bluff, the Palisades, and the other neighborhoods in their vicinity.

On the same website, these apartment complexes are in that area:

Tara Hills
Bristol Park
British Woods
Centennial Bluff
Centennial Village

Oak Ridge Chamber of Commerce - Community - Housing - Apartments & Condominiums

Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 PM

170 posts, read 347,658 times
I'm not sure where you are coming from in Ohio. But I think OR is a nice town just minutes down Pellessippi Parkway from West Knoxville which is real nice. Also a great history surrounding the town. Unless you live in and like backwoods areas I wouldn't even consider Oliver Springs. Nor would I live in Clinton, JMO.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 AM

33 posts, read 70,416 times
I agree with the "vibe" of Oak Ridge. Not digging it, but the commute to work is 3 minutes and there is a nice day care another 2 minutes away. Service quality seems lackluster compared to other places I've lived.

British Woods Apartments were very lenient with me regarding credit issues. Rolling Hills and The Manhatten were not recommended to me by a relocation specilist at the company I work for, though they are cheap and probably easy to get into.

Joel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville