Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

No further south than Virginia. That's hilarious.

I've lived up north, in Florida and now here for the last eight years. In Florida you come across people from all over the country and then some. I've found, in general, people in the Midwest to be the most prejudiced and unwelcoming. Now of course, that is the older folks. Young people from the Midwest - the ones I've met, anyway - aren't anything like that.

Anyway, you keep saying you don't believe in stereotypes but you keep bringing them up. At this point I would strongly suggest that you visit and form your own opinion. I don't live in the rural parts of the state. I live in the city, although it really looks like a large town with several suburbs. Around here you will not find anyone that would care about the race of your children. That's incredibly odd. I don't understand why anyone from anywhere would care about that. It doesn't even make any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:37 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Quote:
but grandma is still....well sterotypical, unfortunately

Well by now grandma might have a mixed race grandkid. I've seen that happen with a family I know and by golly you don't hear racist comments any more.

Last edited by creeksitter; 07-22-2013 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM

79 posts, read 121,185 times
We are seeing more and more mixed couple around here and it appears to be no big deal. I remember as a kid in FL such a thing was unheard of and frowned upon but it seems more common and acceptable. We have a mixed couple in our church and nobody treats them any different. I do think you are wise for at least looking into the possibility that your mate choice could be judged by others and have consequences. Be real and honest and your ahead of the game.

Now my advice is to choose a place where the people are educated and employed, a nice upscale neighborhood and you'll be fine. It's the poor and ignorant you need to avoid. Talk to a realtor when you look at homes and try to discern the economic status of the locals. I say choose and be upper class. The Knoxville area is a good place but we have jerks here to.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:46 AM

26 posts, read 71,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

I've found, in general, people in the Midwest to be the most prejudiced and unwelcoming. Now of course, that is the older folks. Young people from the Midwest - the ones I've met, anyway - aren't anything like that.

Anyway, you keep saying you don't believe in stereotypes but you keep bringing them up...Around here you will not find anyone that would care about the race of your children. That's incredibly odd. I don't understand why anyone from anywhere would care about that. It doesn't even make any sense.
I think it's odd as well and it certainly doesn't make sense to me either. But it does happen. It's so sad. Children without homes need moms and dads and need to be loved....who cares what skin color we all have? Also, to clarify, I wasn't trying to address/talk about sterotypes so much as to get a feel for the social/cultural climate of the area, without spending hundreds of dollars traveling there at this preliminary stage. I can't pretend sterotypes don't exist, they do. The point is, I really don't care two figs about sterotypes (which is why I'm asking for the truth and not discounting any particular area). I have experienced racism here in Ca. That being said, I would have posted the same question in the forum of any area where I haven't had first hand experience. Whew!! Come on hik, let's be friends

Last edited by InLoveW/3Boys; 07-25-2013 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 06:40 AM

132 posts, read 191,742 times
Default It's not the South!

I moved my family back "home" to Baltimore, Maryland from Pensacola, Florida after 20 years of being all over the states and Europe while in the Navy. Only then could I remember again how I was treated and bullied (beaten by strangers...) because I was the only white kid on the bus. My two girls tripled the white population of the school they were to be in until we could move out of there that summer... Second and fifth graders and they knew nothing about why black people didn't like them like they did everywhere else we lived. My girls had to worry from when they got onto the bus in the morning until they got off the bus at the end of the day. I don't think we were "too far South" then or 25 years before that ... when I was in school. I was not in a big city like Baltimore either. It is usually just a few that cement the feeling that they are all bad. As a child, it is hard to get away from the few. Just my input. I'm looking to move back South before the snow flies this year!

Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehopper View Post
I moved my family back "home" to Baltimore, Maryland from Pensacola, Florida after 20 years of being all over the states and Europe while in the Navy. Only then could I remember again how I was treated and bullied (beaten by strangers...) because I was the only white kid on the bus. My two girls tripled the white population of the school they were to be in until we could move out of there that summer... Second and fifth graders and they knew nothing about why black people didn't like them like they did everywhere else we lived. My girls had to worry from when they got onto the bus in the morning until they got off the bus at the end of the day. I don't think we were "too far South" then or 25 years before that ... when I was in school. I was not in a big city like Baltimore either. It is usually just a few that cement the feeling that they are all bad. As a child, it is hard to get away from the few. Just my input. I'm looking to move back South before the snow flies this year!
Excuse me but are you talking about Knoxville?

Old 10-02-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Excuse me but are you talking about Knoxville?
What I was trying to say in that mess, is the south is not usually a place of showing prejudice like I have seen from my own state of Maryland. The reasons for having some prejudice, can sometimes be the impression that is given by the group's reception of others outside there own group. I was bullied (and my children as well) by black people while in school and that can lead to a prejudice from the receiving group (in my case, that was actually more of fear) that would be received as a racist response. Until I left Maryland for the Navy, I did not know many black people that were good to be around. That is just the facts for me, sorry! I changed my general views that I used to associate with race when I met and shared common goals in the Navy with the "melting pot" that the military really does offer. If we do not venture out of our hometown, we may seem racist to others depending on circumstances that may have formed our opinions from others beyond our control. No, I don't believe Knoxville is like this due to what I have witnessed where i have lived in the south. This may be just a feeling, but I like to think the people in the south (whether in USA, Spain, Italy, Grease, etc..) are generally more relaxed and get along more with others and their differences for some reason... If the use of "black people" offends anyone, it was not intended to do anything of the kind. I will call you an "American" before even considering the label of "African American" since I really don't feel it is useful except to divide us all. I don't care where anyone's ancestors come from as long as they are here trying to make this America a better place to be in... I'm a "Hine's 57" and "American" through and through! That rant will last me a while I guess...

Old 10-02-2013, 12:38 PM

The South is a big place. Not all states, areas, cities, towns are the same. In fact, there can be differences between larger metro areas and small towns across the country, let alone around here. In fact, there can be very real differences in Harriman as opposed to Knoxville.

Anyway, this is a relocation area and people ask questions in parts of the forum concerning specific areas, states or cities. If you respond from the perspective of Maryland, Pensacola, Florida and the Navy but have never lived in Knoxville, it can be very confusing to the person asking the question. I just want to point that out to the person that originally asked the question and anyone else that reads this in the future. You are commenting about Maryland or Pensacola and I just want to be clear about that.

I'm also not sure what your comments have to do with the original question, anyway. The poster didn't ask for your feeling regarding the labels "black," "African American" or even "purple." And what the heck does, This may be just a feeling, but I like to think the people in the south (whether in USA, Spain, Italy, Grease, etc..) are generally more relaxed and get along more with others and their differences for some reason mean? The south of Spain, Italy, Grease? Wha???

Old 10-03-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
No further south than Virginia. That's hilarious.

I've lived up north, in Florida and now here for the last eight years. In Florida you come across people from all over the country and then some. I've found, in general, people in the Midwest to be the most prejudiced and unwelcoming. Now of course, that is the older folks. Young people from the Midwest - the ones I've met, anyway - aren't anything like that.
Kinda sounded like you did the same thing here... It's just what we do. I know what you mean by each little area can be very different. I know there are exceptions to every perception and that is where our generalizations fall apart. We do generalize and that is just what we do when we ask questions about areas as well. My general south comment is based on my experiences and that is all I have. I have relatives in FL, MS, NY, PA, MD, WA, MI, SC, and probably a couple other places I haven't kept track... and I have begun to generalize a little bit at this point. It is not perfect, but it seems when you have better weather for longer periods, the life is easier and people are more relaxed and more welcoming/sociable. People up in Central New York (where half the year is "winter") run around all summer like "ants in an ants farm" trying to get things done before winter gets here again. Even when they stop to talk, they seem to be in a hurry to me.

Last edited by Lakehopper; 10-03-2013 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: expanded thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville