Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 13,706 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Knoxville area soon. We both have jobs lined up, he has actually already started working at his job. I have been searching and searching for housing. We are ok with living in an apartment, house, or mobile home.

The issue I have found is that many property management companies require a background check. My husband was in trouble several years ago and has a felony on his record. He did his time and has not had any more trouble since.

Does anyone know of any place that is decent, not run down and trashy, that will allow someone with a felony to live there?

He is working in Oak Ridge and I will be right in Knoxville. We have been concentrating our search in the Oak Ridge, North, West, and Southwest areas of Knoxville. On Craigslist I have found many houses for rent in our budget but most of them turn out to be scams.

I would love to hear some suggestions for apartment complexes or sites other than Craigslist where I can search for homes for rent.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 04:38 PM

283 posts, read 899,956 times
I don' t know about specific housing, but unless it is a sex offender conviction, you should be able to explain that he did his time and hasn't been in trouble since. I would stick with professional apartment management companies. Seems like I've seen a little brochure/magazine in the racks at the front of grocery stores with apartments (like the realtor mags).

As with many things, a lot is 'who you know', so you might have to accept something not great at first, then ask around as you get to know your co-workers to find a better place. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 13,706 times
Thanks. It was definitely not a sex crime. More of a situation of being with the wrong person at the wrong time in a small town with small town politics. We have found some temporary housing for the time being while we search for a more permanent residence. As I mentioned he has been down there working for several weeks now and I will be joining him this next week so hopefully once I'm down there I can find something for us.

Thanks again!

Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 AM

37,798 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykat&joe View Post
I don' t know about specific housing, but unless it is a sex offender conviction, you should be able to explain that he did his time and hasn't been in trouble since. I would stick with professional apartment management companies. Seems like I've seen a little brochure/magazine in the racks at the front of grocery stores with apartments (like the realtor mags).

As with many things, a lot is 'who you know', so you might have to accept something not great at first, then ask around as you get to know your co-workers to find a better place. Best of luck to you.
My apartment complex in Oak Ridge does a criminal background check in addition to the one that checks your income. I am positive that sex offenders aren't the only crime they check for. How about any form of theft?

Old 10-01-2013, 06:00 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykat&joe View Post
I would stick with professional apartment management companies. Seems like I've seen a little brochure/magazine in the racks at the front of grocery stores with apartments (like the realtor mags).
And professional management companies are the first to run background checks for criminal histories. Felonies of any kind are a big no-no.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 AM

283 posts, read 899,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And professional management companies are the first to run background checks for criminal histories. Felonies of any kind are a big no-no.
I was just thinking that he could explain it to them, and they would also be able to see that there have been no subsequent events in the history. Maybe not such a good idea. They are probably stuck with a cruddy situation until they get to know people and can have someone 'introduce' them to the potential landlord so that they can explain that he's kept out of trouble since the incident. It is really tough to overcome a mistake early in life, sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville