Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,108 times

Advertisements

Good day to you all!

I currently live near Houston and have decided I don't like it here; after four summers I've had my fill of heat, humidity, bugs and mold. I want to move near the Smokies into a small Rental-w/Option and open an in-home Pet Grooming/Boarding Kennel. I'm divorced so the house does not have to be huge. Doesn't have to be fancy either as long as it's comfortable, eye-appealing and in an area where my business might flourish, due to a lack of competition/other established like-kind businesses.

The town must be safe, friendly and offer your normal luxuries such as grocery stores & hardware stores. Utilities should be reasonable as well. I'm 61 years old and do not wish to move again so my plans are to set down roots and make friends.

Anyone have any suggestions on a perfect location for my adventure?

Thanks,
LIB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,468 times
yes i do i used to live in englewood tennessee and its small quite and it is close to three rivers two lakes and the mountains are not to far.. you can live peacefuly and not have to deal with all the troubles that you have now.. the beaty of that state is very unique.. i guarentie that you will not haved to move to new town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxyatsxty1 View Post
Good day to you all!

I currently live near Houston and have decided I don't like it here; after four summers I've had my fill of heat, humidity, bugs and mold. I want to move near the Smokies into a small Rental-w/Option and open an in-home Pet Grooming/Boarding Kennel. I'm divorced so the house does not have to be huge. Doesn't have to be fancy either as long as it's comfortable, eye-appealing and in an area where my business might flourish, due to a lack of competition/other established like-kind businesses.

The town must be safe, friendly and offer your normal luxuries such as grocery stores & hardware stores. Utilities should be reasonable as well. I'm 61 years old and do not wish to move again so my plans are to set down roots and make friends.

Thanks,
LIB

Old 11-19-2007, 05:13 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Good day to you all!

Thanks,
LIB
Hi Sexy at Sixty One,

I am struggling with coming up with a town name as most of them near the Smokies are very seasonal with traffic and I am not sure that there would be year round business. If you are willing to live on half a years business then you might be able to make a go of it here near the Smokies. I don't know the pet grooming/boarding kennel business; however, I would imagine that this might be of interest to some people vacationing in Pigeon Forge during the warmer months.

As far as rentals go, your best bet is to contact real estate companies in the area.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Good day to you all!

I currently live near Houston and have decided I don't like it here; after four summers I've had my fill of heat, humidity, bugs and mold.
Well, not sure about the bugs but the heat and humidy here in the summer is no walk in the park and I have a mold clause in my lease so I'm going to guesss that must be an issue, too.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
As a former Texan myself I can say that Tennessee is a GREAT change from Texas weather. This past summer was hot by local standards, but to me was a vacation. I mean, yes, it did get hot, very hot. But the heat didn't start in May and last til October like it does in Texas so often. The last year I lived in the Dallas area it was 103 the first week of April.

As for the humidity, I can't comment too much on that because this has been a dry year with a high pressure system sitting over us most of the summer. But coming from Houston, my guess is that east TN would be a WONDERFUL change of weather.

As for a place to live, if you are retired and single, there are tons of options. Me personally I would stay away from anywhere in a 20 mile radius of Gatilinburg or Pigeon Forge. Its a high traffic tourist trap area that is littered with tons of stores, and tons of traffic. Far west Knoxville or even the Tellico Lake area might be worth considering. Depends on what you are looking for in a town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville