Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 9,123 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody - I just moved to Fountain City 6 weeks ago by myself from Fort Myers Beach, FL - born and raised there- my father was the first male born on the island 85 years ago. Happy to be here, but don't know a soul. Currently doing the job search - worked at the university there Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) until the move. I've been reading the forum for a year or so, but this is my first post. Would love to hear from anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 01:09 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,374,047 times
Welcome, we love everyone here, from all parts, and great choice in the Ft. City area. We showed all day their yesterday, and actually toured probably some 15 homes, in last couple of weeks. May have to move there, and be sure and make it to Littons. Had our favorite smoky cheddar burger yesterday, and after the pumpkin chess cake and the chocholate cake, miserable for the afternoon. Let us know what you like to do, and will know better what to suggest for you.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:16 PM

780 posts, read 1,757,510 times
Welcome Winnvic to our forum. We have some great people on here and they will help you any way they can.

I'm a retired senior who moved here with my hubby a little over a year ago from Ocala, FL. I was born in Miami so I spent 63 years in FLorida but glad to be out of there.

I had a nephew that used to be a cop in Ft Myers until he went free lance to Iraq to do training over there of the guards.

Anything you want to know just ask, Hiknapster will surely be on to say hi, she lives in Fountain City.

Like Oldmanbob said, you have to go to the famous Littons and you must have their Red Velvet Cake, its to die for, also their burgers and keep an eye out for Kenny Chesney, he goes there when he is in Fountain City seeing his Mom.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnvic View Post
Hey everybody - I just moved to Fountain City 6 weeks ago by myself from Fort Myers Beach, FL - born and raised there- my father was the first male born on the island 85 years ago. Happy to be here, but don't know a soul. Currently doing the job search - worked at the university there Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) until the move. I've been reading the forum for a year or so, but this is my first post. Would love to hear from anyone.
Oh, welcome. You asked me to be your friend and I am happy to do so!

I guess you might have noticed that we are from Fort Myers. It is so rare to meet a native! The ran so many off!

My husband lived there since the time he was 12 and remembers so many places before the big developments. His family talked about it all the time. He still has lots of family down there.

You and I lived pretty close! Glad to be friends and happy to help with anything!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 PM

5 posts, read 9,123 times
Thanks everybody. I was having a discouraging day yesterday after learning my auto insurance was going to be even more expensive here than in Florida and I have an excellent record, still puzzled about that. On top of getting my first utility bill - whoa that was a punch in the stomach. I did go to one of the KUB workshops and learning a lot of good info. In fact, one of the little tests they handed out enabled me to find out the toilet tank was leaking like a sieve, could be why the wastewater was so dang high. Anyway, this house I'm renting has a fireplace but I can't seem to pin the owner (I'm renting) down to tell me whether or not it's functional or not. The guys at the KUB workshop told me I needed to call a chimney sweep and they'd come check it out and give me an estimate. Can anyone tell me what a fair price for firewood is? (I'm being optomistic about the fireplace working) I see lots of fellas in trucks selling it in the shopping centers, but I haven't approached them yet. I figured a "green" female like me would be a perfect sucker and they'd probably be laughing for weeks about what they charged me. This is the first forum I've done, so I'm still learning how to navigate, but I sure appreciate the tips. Thanks, again.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:44 PM

132 posts, read 369,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnvic View Post
Thanks everybody. I was having a discouraging day yesterday after learning my auto insurance was going to be even more expensive here than in Florida and I have an excellent record, still puzzled about that. On top of getting my first utility bill - whoa that was a punch in the stomach. I did go to one of the KUB workshops and learning a lot of good info. In fact, one of the little tests they handed out enabled me to find out the toilet tank was leaking like a sieve, could be why the wastewater was so dang high. Anyway, this house I'm renting has a fireplace but I can't seem to pin the owner (I'm renting) down to tell me whether or not it's functional or not. The guys at the KUB workshop told me I needed to call a chimney sweep and they'd come check it out and give me an estimate. Can anyone tell me what a fair price for firewood is? (I'm being optomistic about the fireplace working) I see lots of fellas in trucks selling it in the shopping centers, but I haven't approached them yet. I figured a "green" female like me would be a perfect sucker and they'd probably be laughing for weeks about what they charged me. This is the first forum I've done, so I'm still learning how to navigate, but I sure appreciate the tips. Thanks, again.
Call Will Rymer 233-4464 He charges $60 for a rick of wood (4x4x8), the wood I got was seasoned and burns nicely. Do have that fireplace checked out before you use it though.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:34 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,705,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochmoigh View Post
Call Will Rymer 233-4464 He charges $60 for a rick of wood (4x4x8), the wood I got was seasoned and burns nicely. Do have that fireplace checked out before you use it though.
That sounds like a good deal! Growing up the only source of heat we had in our house was a wood stove. It was heaven (especially when Mom also cooked on it).

Winnvic, I'm surprised to hear that your car insurance is higher here than in Florida. I wonder why. My car insurance dropped by 1/3 when I moved here from Memphis, and my car insurance went up when I moved to Florida (St Lucie County).

Anyway, welcome to Fountain City! Oldmanbob gave a good summary of what it's like to eat at Litton's. That pumpkin cheesecake sounds divine!

I hope your fireplace is functioning so you can enjoy these cold East Tennessee nights! There is NOTHING like sitting in front of a warm fireplace, curled up with a good book or watching a good movie while watching the snow fall outside...

Old 11-18-2008, 04:50 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,196,629 times
Be sure to get the chimney inspected before starting a fire. I recommend Mike Green at Professional Chimney Sweeps 637-1817 and expect around $90-$100 for a cleaning and inspection w/o repairs.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochmoigh View Post
A cord of wood is 4' x 4' x 8' and will run ~$150-200 for hardwood delivered and stacked.......

A rick is the length of the log (usually 16") x4'x8'.....

1 cord = 3 rick....

http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm (broken link)

Last edited by Bones; 11-18-2008 at 09:31 PM..

Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 AM

38 posts, read 64,827 times
Welcome! I am from the Sarasota area. I got a cheaper quote here than in FL. Moved in July, I also rent in Fountain City. I just love it here!!! I found utilities cheaper here as well. Make sure your chimney flute is closed so as to not have heat and air go up and out. Do get it checked and swept out before you start a fire.
This is a most awesome place to live. Great people on this site and neighbors. If I can help let me know. Littons is the best place to gain weight!!! But it is soooo good!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville