Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 04:09 AM

10 posts, read 17,341 times

Advertisements

Hello, last post for today I think

I just purchased a large property in Maryville and am hoping to open up a new tent and cabin rental campground. It will be attached to the property I live on with some other fun and interesting things happening on the property and it's in the foothills of the Smokies.

In your opinion:
How much should I charge per night for a tent only campsite with a picnic table and fire grill/pit?
How much should I charge for a rustic one-room/bedroom cabin that sleeps 6 and has a fire grill/pit outside?

There is no large body of water on the property but it is loaded with trees and a nice foothill to climb. I'm also putting in some artistic elements and interesting garden spaces to enjoy.

There will be on site bathrooms and shower buildings.

I am not looking to make a lot of money off the venture, this is a retirement dream of mine to have a way to constantly meet people from all over so I don't go stark raving mad with boredom in my old age Just looking for advice and opinions. I want this to be more of a fun and cheap place for the locals to come have big weekend BBQ's and let the kids play. I grew up in campgrounds and love the atmosphere of a beautiful, clean and natural setting! And I live in Alaska where we go camping all the time I have lots of ideas but I'd like to hear what the locals want. Thank you for taking the time to write back!

-Emily-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 04:36 AM

283 posts, read 901,544 times
Have you checked out the prices for tent camping at the local campgrounds, as they would be your competition? A lot of the campgrounds & state parks have websites, and google maps is also helpful. If you are not providing a water source at the sites, you should be only charging the 'dry camping' or 'primitive camping' rate. The price on the cabin would depend on the condition and amenities with it. If it were me, I would only rent it for events, not for overnights, since you would have to ensure it is clean for the next person.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:00 AM

10 posts, read 17,341 times
Thanks for posting Sassykat&joe

I have looked but the prices were not consistent and most places had or were near a lake. I have also learned that what other places charge and what locals really want can be totally different.

As a clarification on the water; there will be clean drinking water, just not water for sports. No lake, no river.

I do intend on renting overnight cabins and am not afraid of the housekeeping required to make the room ready for the next occupant I want to have a breakfast or dinner meal add on eventually but I know that is a whole other animal with permits and such.

The cabin will have electricity, a queen size bed, a bunk bed, and a hide-a-bed couch with a table inside and outside. It will be thoroughly cleaned after each renter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: