Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tennessee: Knoxville, cost of living, crime rate,

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 12,327 times

Advertisements

I've seen several people on this forum complain about the cost of living in Maryville. You know, as a Maryville native I totally agree with you.There was a time when the living here was very cheap and comfortable. The quality of goods and services was pretty good for a small town and we didn't really have to worry about crime so much.

Fast forward to now and the population density is all ****ed up. You can't drive through town without having to stop at five red lights. And the police.. Jesus.. they're everywhere. You know your town is overpoliced when three cruisers assist for a simple traffic stop. Not that the crime rate is horrible or anything. Whether that's because of the overpolicing or not, I can't say.

What I can say is that this town has changed dramatically. All of these roads you drive on with the horrible traffic? Those used to be unmarked country lanes, and oftentimes you'd have to stop to let someone else cross the one lane bridge in front of you. All of those ugly ****ing subdivisions that stretch as far as the eye can see? Those used to be dairy farms and fields of tobacco. Those ugly Hummers and high end luxury cars that clog our streets? Those used to be tractors and old farm trucks filled with hay. And if you stopped them to talk, they'd say "How yall doin'?" instead of screaming "What choo woint" in some stupid Boston accent.

We didn't have neighbors growing up here. Well, technically we did, but we couldn't see them from our house and unless they were visiting, the only time we knew they were there is when they were squirrel hunting or having some beers and shooting some old watermelons. Looking out our window, we saw a beautiful mountain framed by green fields of livestock, deer, wild turkey, bear, and even grey fox when we were lucky enough..

Fast forward to now, and the fields are being sold one-by-one to developers who build even more ugly subdivisions and stock them full of people who are equally ugly and usually from places like New Jersey and Boston. Most of them say nothing and won't even look me in the eye as they drive by in their new Lexus. Their homes block out my mountain view more each year and where I used to see wildlife, I see their worthless ****ing children raising Hell in the street. Once in a blue moon someone will stroll by and try to make small talk. I usually say nothing at all. Sometimes I turn my back. I'm sure it gives them something to gossip about.. that sour old redneck. They'd be sour too if I parked my tractor in front of their living room window and made myself at home.

Yep, things sure have changed around here since the hordes from New England and Florida started invading. Increased cost of living with a decreased profitibility from our farmlands. Increased population density with a decreased quality of life.

Yep, things are great. I still have my mountain view. Well, at least I do for now. It's been bought by the ultra-rich unfortunately and will be developed to build Mountain McMansions for the ultra-rich invaders of my country homeland. If God's real and he's such a wrathful fellow, where's all that plague and pestilence, cause we could sure as Hell use some of that here in Tennessee.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 PM

252 posts, read 1,071,523 times
Its like this no matter what city you live in nowadays. Progress is good in some ways, and some ways its not....The times have changed and we have to adapt whether we like it or not......My hometown is sooooo expensive I can't step foot in it, and I get to feeling very much like it is unfair that others get to live there and I don't. Nothing I can do about it

Old 11-25-2007, 06:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Me, too. I'd love to go back to my NEW ENGLAND town. Can't.

So I live in your state in a mobile home that I don't even own.

I do understand how you feel. I hated the rich, well-educated people from Boston that moved to my sleepy little town and priced me and all my friends out. And I don't particularly like watching them move here, too. I thought I was finally rid of them.

At least you can still afford to live in your hometown.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:04 AM

25 posts, read 97,795 times
wow! you think you have it bad,try so cal for a few months,you will not complain again.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 11,733 times
EatingSquirrel4Jesus

Don't just wait for Jesus or God's wrath to come. You could be God's wrath by picking up your rifles and start shooting those damn yankees! Once you make the headline, the whole world will be too petrified to move here and that mountain view shall be yours forever.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:49 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Dayum, guess I will not move to the Maryville area. I thought Tennessee was full of nice, friendly folks?? Did they all move?

Old 11-29-2007, 03:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Tennessee is not full of nice people, they just have a lot of nice people. However, the people that are angry about the outsiders moving in do exist. The state isn't full of them, however. I just wouldn't want to move next to them!

I've only lived in three states, but I find the people to be nicest in Tennessee. But there are certain pockets that I would steer clear of. I really would.

I think that it is ridiculous to delete the naysayers posts, because it is a reality. Everyone should be aware of it. No state is all sweetness and light, and it's what makes this forum great.

Oh, and SmokyMtnGal lives in Maryville and gemthornton is trying her best to get there. That makes it worth moving to, in my humble and twisted opinion!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I don't know if any state/region has friendlier or more receptive people than others. However, I think our friendly people are friendlier than other places'.

It's all our moonshine.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:58 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Wink Can't base an opinion on one or two characters, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Dayum, guess I will not move to the Maryville area. I thought Tennessee was full of nice, friendly folks?? Did they all move?
I think there are still all there. Just one who appears otherwise. Don't give up yet, AlisonL.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:12 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
I think there are still all there. Just one who appears otherwise. Don't give up yet, AlisonL.
Oh I won't. Just will pick and choose who my neighbors will be very carefully.
I've lived next door to the Queen of Mean since 1988, guess I can handle one or two more if I had to. Have to feel bad for her as the only friend she has is her Mommie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville