Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 AM

10 posts, read 14,338 times

Advertisements

Hi, after several months of doing research on schools for my upcoming move to Knoxville (happening in 2 weeks), I have just found out Tennessee participates in the Common Core Curriculum. I come from one of five states, Texas, that has not adopted this somewhat new standard, I know it has been in place for a few years now. My daughter will be entering second grade this coming school year, and I am concerned about how the change in the curriculum will affect her. Could anyone of elementary school ages children share their experiences with this? Some of what I have read about is eliminating cursive writing, when learning division instead of it being done the way it always has been now it is done with a series of dots, slashes and cubes. These are just two examples of some of what is being done with Common Core, as I am sure there are many more changes. I have read where some schools across the nation have had to hold seminars to teach parents the "new" ways in order for them to be able to teach their children. There has been a lot of frustration on their part and even tears. There are fears that so much time is devoted to explaining why there needs to be four different ways to work a math problem, that they are actually not progressing as fast as before because of the extra homework time needed. I wanted to know from parents of Knox County Schools what their experience has been with these changes. It would be interesting to know especially if any of you have high school students and elementary school students how they were taught the basics vs. now with your younger children. Thank you in advance for your time in answering this question for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 04:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
My child is going into high school this coming school year. I haven't noticed any difference yet, but also haven't heard any of my friends with younger children have issues.

TN Core | Key Information

This fact sheet shows why there hasn't been much of a difference, yet.

http://www.tncore.org/sites/www/Uplo...ts_History.pdf

And finally, specific to Knox County.

Knox County Schools - Common Core
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville