Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 09:41 AM

284 posts, read 362,472 times

Advertisements

We'll be in the area mid October and just wondering if the temps have gotten low enough for the leaves to have started changing yet. Really hoping to see the beautiful fall foliage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 PM

257 posts, read 489,695 times
Drove through the park today and there is very little color now.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:08 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
The average time for color is mid to late October for high elevations, for the valley its the beginning of November.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:36 AM

132 posts, read 191,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
We'll be in the area mid October and just wondering if the temps have gotten low enough for the leaves to have started changing yet. Really hoping to see the beautiful fall foliage.
Mid October does seem a little early to get a good look at the leaves changing!

I didn't know this, but the weather guy on WBIR.com explained last night that the leaves were changing earlier this year around Knoxville due to lack of rain earlier. No mention of the cooler temps doing the changing... October usually has less rain than September, but September just set a record that October usually doesn't get close to... for dry-est month ever! I've got quite a few trees changing already in my yard in Knoxville.

Of course, the mountains will probably be on their normal schedule since the weather up there has been closer to normal. The mountains have their own weather for sure! Might just have to "wait and see" how this fall color change happens. I saw a few trees starting at Cades Cove a week ago, but just a few and very spotty. Driving up there is always beautiful no matter what colors are there!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:31 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehopper View Post
Mid October does seem a little early to get a good look at the leaves changing!

I didn't know this, but the weather guy on WBIR.com explained last night that the leaves were changing earlier this year around Knoxville due to lack of rain earlier. No mention of the cooler temps doing the changing... October usually has less rain than September, but September just set a record that October usually doesn't get close to... for dry-est month ever! I've got quite a few trees changing already in my yard in Knoxville.

Of course, the mountains will probably be on their normal schedule since the weather up there has been closer to normal. The mountains have their own weather for sure! Might just have to "wait and see" how this fall color change happens. I saw a few trees starting at Cades Cove a week ago, but just a few and very spotty. Driving up there is always beautiful no matter what colors are there!
Actually, there haven't been any cooler nighttime temps thus far, to any appreciable degree, but that is going to change a bit after Friday, dropping into the forties overnight.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
You can get foliage reports here:

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/index....n-southeast-us

Reports are updated Mondays and Thursdays.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:36 PM

284 posts, read 362,472 times
Thanks for the link Laura C!

Old 10-02-2014, 05:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I'll be in Sevierville 10/18-10/25. Hopefully that'll be the peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville