Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:53 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,834,364 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if people can tell me honestly what I would expect to pay for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment/duplex/house that is around 1000-1500 sq ft in a decent neighborhood of Knoxville that is not infested with crime?

Can anyone give me any tips on desirable neighborhoods that are not overrun with either extreme: the extremely affluent or the extremely impoverished?

I have lived in the Pacific Northwest most of my life, but because of the increased cost of living as well as the influx of people from California and East Coast, I have decided it may be time to leave this place once and for all. Between the extreme liberalness of the urban regions to the excessive living costs vs wages I know it is now probably time to move on. I have thought about moving to Spokane or the Eastern side of the state, but it is very cold there and Spokane is by Northwest standards, a fairly run-down and crime-ridden city. Although, I am sure Tennessee may have even rougher spots than Spokane. I've been hearing how Tennessee is becoming more business friendly and it seems to have a lower tax burden. Also, growing up in the mountains I thought I Could feel more at home there than a flat, barren and desolate looking state like Texas. I know Tennessee doesn't have big mountains like here, but the hills I would hope would provide some outdoor activities.

As for me, I am working for a small family business for now and this is another reason I am looking at TEnnesee. I see there is no state income tax, like Washington, but that the living is cheaper than the Seattle area in most places except, possibly, Nashville. Being a computer software developer, I also have heard Nashville does have a decent and improving Software IT job market, which, if I needed work later, could also be an option for me to relocate and wouldn't be far from Knoxville. For now, I am getting by on a smaller salary and thought Knoxville could be a nice place that is cost effective to live..

I would say that my ideal budget would be $800-$1100/mo rent.. I'd be willing to pay a little more if it meant I could get a lot more. However, my goal is to live as cheap as possible , but not to be stuck in a "ghetto" living condition.

These question probably belongs in a separate thread, but I'll ask anyway:
Guns/Shooting Ranges... Does anyone know if there is any decent shooting areas around Knoxville, that is gun ranges that have 300 + yard shooting? Are most gun ranges filled to capacity or are there many that are accepting new members? Any places to shoot in the woods that are not too risky?

Health food stores.. Does Knoxville have any that are remotely good? I know there is no Whole Foods, but was just wondering if there is a real health food store there. Is there a food tax in Tennessee?

Demographics... In smaller towns in the Pacific Northwest it is mostly comprised of married couples and older people, as most younger/single and people who enjoy doing activities outside of the home are mostly in the larger cities here, like Seattle or Bellevue. I was wondering if Knoxville may offer a bit mixed of demographics? Is there such a thing as a younger professional demographic? Is the downtown pretty dead most of the time, like most Washington state cities (outside Seattle)?

Taxes... Any hidden taxes?? I hear Tennessee has no state income tax, I just want to make sure there are no hidden B&O income tax or city or county income taxes, etc. What is the sales tax in Knoxville?

Alcohol.. Is Alcohol not restricted in Knoxville and legal/not restricted in surrounding towns? I hear Tennessee has many dry counties or counties with restrictions. Not a deal breaker, but I do love whiskey.

Ethnicity.. I am Jewish.. Any issues with the locals for being a Jewish believer versus an evangelical Protestant Christian believer? I don't dress up Jewish or wear my kippa everywhere.. I'm just curious of people's thoughts of being the "Jewish guy" in a small suburb of Knoxville where people know everyone else's business. I was considering suburbs, perhaps, if I could find one that is safe and living is much cheaper but is still not too far from the city. I hear in the South, unlike in the Northwest, people tend to get to know their neighbors and religion is more of a big deal.

Hiking/Outdoors.. Would you say hiking/outdoor activities in the hills/Smokies be abundant from Knoxville? How far would you have to go to get away from hordes of tourists and enjoy some nice views , rivers, lakes and nature? I understand the Appalachians are pretty crowded compared to the Cascades, but just wondering if there is any decent spots to escape to.

I appreciate the help that people can give me..

Last edited by RotseCherut; 10-31-2014 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 04:30 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
You will find houses/apartments in your price range.
Downtown is the opposite of dead.
There are 2-3 Synagoges in Knoxville, 1 in Oak ridge.
Why are you looking in a small suburb?
A wide variety of health food stores, from chains to a food co-op and small specialized stores. Several ethnic markets.
Yes there is a tax on food, also the Hall income tax.
There is hiking < 2 miles from downtown where you can enjoy views without hordes of tourists.
Hiking in the Smokies is 80 - 120 minutes away. There is no relationship between distance and popularity. You can find secluded trails close by and crowded trails far away - yes Clingmans Dome I'm talking about you.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:29 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Downtown is the opposite of dead.
There are 2-3 Synagoges in Knoxville, 1 in Oak ridge.
A wide variety of health food stores, from chains to a food co-op and small specialized stores. Several ethnic markets.
Yes there is a tax on food, also the Hall income tax.
There is hiking < 2 miles from downtown where you can enjoy views without hordes of tourists.
Hiking in the Smokies is 80 - 120 minutes away. There is no relationship between distance and popularity. You can find secluded trails close by and crowded trails far away - yes Clingmans Dome I'm talking about you.
The Hall income tax on investments has a lot of exclusions and also has a $12,000 exemption, so many people wouldn't have to file that limited state income tax.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 AM

I had heard/read the exemption applies to residents over 65. Do you know if it is the same for younger residents?

Old 11-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info creeksitter.. I am not looking for a small suburb, specifically, but I am open to living in one if I can get a better house for a lower price and still not be too far driving distance from Knoxville. I'm working from home for now, so I don't have to commute every day. After living in Seattle and Portland for so many years, I hardly think East TN traffic would seem too terrible to me anyhow. I am open to living in a suburb or even right in the city. I am just looking for an area that is low crime , but not too expensive.

I'm wondering if I should have posted these questions on the TN general thread, since the Knoxville thread appears to be not too active.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:24 PM

It just feels what you are looking for with religious acceptance is more likely in Knoxville than small towns. Except Oak Ridge. Oak Ridge is a very intellectual place with a wide variety of religions and a strong Jewish community. If you don't mind an older house from the war years, the rents are so low they will boggle you. No health food supermarket in Oak Ridge, though. I imagine the mainstream supermarkets have an organic section.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:42 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
Some of your questions give me the impression you have not visited Knoxville. You should plan a visit to get a feel for the area. Its probably different than you imagine.

The gun range I go to is indoor and allows handguns but not high powered rifles. Its rarely crowed. I have never had to wait to get a lane.
Here is a link to shooting ranges (I found on Google) Map of Shooting Ranges in Tennessee: Sportsmen's/Conservation/Gun Clubs, Firing Ranges, Gun Stores and Training Centers Where You Can Shoot

Sales tax is close to what it is in Seattle, but everything is taxed, including groceries.

Wine and hard alcohol (including high gravity beers) is only sold in liquor stores (for the time being). They are not open on Sunday.

I do pay income taxes on dividend income.

Whole Foods is opening a store in Knoxville. We do have Earth Fare stores. Yes food is taxed.

The stereotype of religious fanatics in the south is way overblown. While there are probably more church goers here, for the most part , people do not wear their choir robes in public and harass people at random about going to their church. I do go to church regularly, but I imagine that none of my neighbors know which church I attend, or even if I go. I don't have a clue about my neighbors church affiliation or attendance either (except a few). It just doesn't come up. I went to church regularly when I lived in Southern California too. I have no idea if my neighbors knew what I did on Sunday either.

Keep in mind that between the University of Tennessee and the Oak Ridge National Lab, there are people from all over the world living here. There is close to a half a million people living in the greater Knoxville area. Its not really a small town. Yes, much smaller than Seattle, but not a small town.

You can probably get a lot of information just by using Google.
Hope this helps!

Old 11-01-2014, 04:47 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,899 times
Quote:
I had heard/read the exemption applies to residents over 65. Do you know if it is the same for younger residents?
I am almost positive it applies to anyone who buys stocks, bonds or other financial instruments that Hall applies to. I was at Edward Jones just this week and that subject was addressed by the broker and he didn't mention any age distinction.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:27 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
It's dead because honest answers to questions from people that didn't have an agenda were attacked. One lunatic actually e-mailed my boss and tried to get me fired. (We know who it is, and yes, she is still on here.)

You might try running a search on this site where you can find my previous responses, as well as others. Your budget is in keeping with what you desire. Probably not for a house in a really nice area, but you can certainly find an apartment and probably a duplex unit for that price. Once again, I no longer recommend areas that I feel are "good."

Our downtown area is very nice however, I'm not sure if you'll be able to find anything for those prices. Maybe, if it is small, but maybe not.

I will say that we are at the bottom for tax burden compared to the other states in the union. We run somewhere between 46th to dead last, and believe me, this is one of the few times that it is a very good thing. Our sales tax is one of the highest in the country but we are not hit with a lot of hidden tax and in the end, it's very affordable to live here.

If you are looking for IT jobs, I really don't know if this is a great area to be in. Our unemployment rate is fairly decent compared to a lot of the country, but I'm sure it depends on your line of work.

I've never been to Seatle but you are correct that we are not anywhere close to the traffic that occurs during rush hour in Portland. Folks that aren't used to traffic might tell you it's horrible but honestly, I come from a small town in New England and even I think that it's great to drive around here.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:00 AM

I appreciate the time people took to share more information about Knoxville with me.

Everything is very helpful and yes, I am doing research, but it always helps to have direct questions answered by local people, so I am thankful for that.

Sorry to hear your bad luck hiknapster by being stalked by a rogue poster here on City data.. I try to avoid giving out too much personal information on the forum for that very reason. You just don't know what type of weirdos lurk here. Anything people write to me is in confidence.

I work for from home now, so if I need to find work, I probably would end up having to leave Knoxville. I'm hoping to make things work with the business.. I'm thinking the traffic in Knoxville will be negligible. You realy need to spend hours crawling in traffic here to understand what real traffic is. Taking 15 minutes longer to get home is not traffic.. I remember people saying how bad traffic was in Boise.. I was just cracking up.. I'd on purpose drive there in rush hour downtown, just to enjoy what they called traffic.. People are still moving? Who is complaining?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville