Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,535 times

Advertisements

Hi all I have been looking at pictures of land in tennesse like wanting to buy 10-40 acres by the looks of it the growth on the acres is so thick you cannot walk through the growth. Is thus true in tennesse? Looking to buy in eastern part some where I will build house off grid on solar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 07:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
It is true in some parts. The undergrowth can be mature honeysuckle with stems as thick as your thumb that grow low to the ground and create a maze or even osage orange trees, whose branches droop low to the ground and often served as natural dividers in cattle fields.

If the branches don't get you, the ticks and chiggers will.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:33 AM

510 posts, read 1,388,421 times
Here in the eastern higher mountains the laurel slicks are even more impenetrable than the honeysuckle (which seems to favor the lower elevations).

And, the snakes (esp the copper-tailed water rattlers) will get you if the chiggers and ticks don't!!!!

Old 05-18-2015, 05:26 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,305,824 times
Don't forget the kudzu!!!
For off grid construction, you will probably have to find a county that does not have Building Code restrictions.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:46 PM

79 posts, read 121,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickycreationz View Post
Hi all I have been looking at pictures of land in tennesse like wanting to buy 10-40 acres by the looks of it the growth on the acres is so thick you cannot walk through the growth. Is thus true in tennesse? Looking to buy in eastern part some where I will build house off grid on solar
The undergrowth is not that thick. If you have mature trees there is plenty of room underneath for anything. Look into Hancock co. above Knoxville. It is very rural and restrictions on building are very light I would expect seeing what I do there. I have 100 acres in Snake Hollow between the Powell Mountain and Newmans Ridge and this place is remote.

I don't know why some of the other posters are painting such a scary picture? Snakes, impenetrable laurel?? What the heck it is common Appalachian mountains.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:03 PM

78 posts, read 137,468 times
what is the best website to use to search for building land? Im looking for 20+ acres

Old 05-28-2015, 09:35 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,767,171 times
In many places it can be pretty thick, especially in summer when it is in full leaf. Sort of like walking in a rain forest. In the winter, it looks a lot clearer. many rural counties have much more lax codes, but be sure to check with the county before buying any land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville