Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 AM

812 posts, read 1,676,010 times

Advertisements

I don't know why I didn't come here first, but here it goes.

I have had kidney stone issues for a good part of my life so recently, when I got insured, and figured out that I needed to see a urologist I went with what looked good through the UHC insurance list.

I picked out Moderator cut: changed to: A Dr. in Knoxville (in Maryville).

I wasn't able to call him until last Thursday morning, but his very helpful and friendly staff were able to fit me in for a for a 3:00 appointment. So I showed up a little early, waited about 30 minutes in the waiting room (expected due to paperwork etc) and was shown into a room.

Now I should have taken the hint after about 20 minutes that something wasn't quite right, but as I had been up the night before, and was going to go to work that night I made myself comfortable and decided to take a nap while waiting. I napped for a bit over 40 minutes when the Dr. finally made his way to see me. Ordinarily I would have protested, but A) I was able to take a nap and B) they had made the accommodation for me.

Now I'l state that another good thing about his office is that while not perfectly coordinated, I was able to get urine, blood work, ultrasound, and x-rays while I was there. That took a bit over an hour and while not great, it did seem ultimately convenient.

Now the thing that also bothered me about this visit and the Dr. was that he wanted to use Lithotripsy instead of surgery to get the one stone I have out. I basically had to convince him of my reasons for surgery V Litho, which I would have thought would have been a no brainer.

Anyway, he finally says that he wants a cat scan and to see me on Monday. fine the staff (who once again was excellent) got me a very early Monday CAT Scan appt with the understanding I would be coming to his office with the imagery afterwards and that I was going to have been awake from working the night before.

So this morning (after working last night) I got the CAT scan (can't say enough good things about the Blount Springfield staff) and headed over to the Dr's. Once again the staff was nice and friendly, but Moderator cut: changed to: the Dr. instead of taking the time to merely look at my film, discuss/schedule a surgery date, decided to see EVERY stinking patient in front of me (and even one that was behind me) before getting to me. As a matter of fact I had reminded one of the nurses that I had been up all night and she told him point blank to see me next, and he choose to see yet another patient first. By this time (1:15 minutes in the exam room after 10 in the waiting room). I got up got my imagery and my co-pay refunded and walked out utterly disgusted with his lack of concern for my time and his ignorance of input from his staff.

So, now I need a urologist. If anyone can recommend a good UHC Doc that really knows how to take care of his office workflow and his patients, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by mbmouse; 02-05-2008 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: for Liability issues, needed to cut out name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 AM

133 posts, read 376,609 times
I was going to refer a friend of mine, but he is in the same office...check out yahoo local and type urologist...

I'm suprised you received your film on the cat scan so quickly - most of the time the radiologist has to review it before it can be "let go"

I hope you feel better soon - those stones suck

Old 02-04-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whataride View Post
I was going to refer a friend of mine, but he is in the same office...check out yahoo local and type urologist...

I'm suprised you received your film on the cat scan so quickly - most of the time the radiologist has to review it before it can be "let go"

I hope you feel better soon - those stones suck
Please keep in mind I didn't have a problem with the office, it was the Dr. In question and his ignorance of the staff that really aggrivated me. I could tell they were merely victims of his 'set' ways.

Also, since I went to sleep, apparently the OFFICE called to apologize (I didn't think THEY needed to), but the Dr. never did. And the scheduler called and almost insisted that I be scheduled for lithotripsy.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Dr Fred Klein or his NP (his wife) or anyone in his practice. Dr Klein and his NP (I think her name is Leslie) were great when my husband had kidney stones. Good Luck.

UT Medical Center - Find a Doctor

Last edited by Beretta; 02-04-2008 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: remembered a name.....

Old 02-04-2008, 07:17 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whataride View Post

There is no greatly needed legislation in Tennessee on who can have what kind of imaging equipment in their office; we are a self referral state. This means that the doctor that orders your test can perform it in his/her office and bill for the fee to perform the test. There are some states that prohibit this practice as there is concern that there are unnecessary tests just to obtain the technical fee. There is also no legislation that Radiologists read, or interpret, the images; however, some payers do insist on an arrangement. To that end most practitioners do have contracts with Radiologists that read the images. Of course, most of these reads come after the patient has left the office. Not all imaging equipment is created equal and it pays to make sure that the imaging equipment/facility is ACR (American College of Radiology) accredited. American College of Radiology It is also important to make sure that the equipment used is the latest technology. Quality imaging equipment is very, very expensive.

Nothing burnt me up more than having to have my childs x-rays redone at the hospital when he was admitted because the images were so poor from the physicians office. Unnecessary radiation and cost. <off soapbox now>

Old 02-05-2008, 01:07 PM

57 posts, read 245,456 times
I'll 2nd Dr/ Klein. He performed a hernia operation on me about 10 years ago and all went great. Very professional doctor and staff.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Dr Fred Klein or his NP (his wife) or anyone in his practice. Dr Klein and his NP (I think her name is Leslie) were great when my husband had kidney stones. Good Luck.

UT Medical Center - Find a Doctor
I have an appointment for Thursday, thank you VERY much!! How many do I owe you now??

Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 AM

592 posts, read 2,135,297 times
Do you mind me asking why you preferred surgery?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
Do you mind me asking why you preferred surgery?
Replied on PM.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:54 AM

UPDATE:

So after my nightmare with the Dr. who sounds like a Will Smith romance flick, I took the advise of SmokyMtnGal and looked up Dr. Klein.

First his office: Not fast, but not even CLOSE to bad at all. VERY reasonable wait times.
Staff: Very good, though they did have me shift rooms "due to scheduling" which struck me as a touch odd, but no biggie.
Dr. Klein: Very direct and professional, also had a very cute 'intern' type following him around. Purrr. He was able to talk to me an understand my fear of the stent, advised me that I could do litho without the stent this time. I asked about long term affects, he said there is nothing to worry about.
Scheduled 'Surgery' (litho) for about a week later.

Everything went "Rico Suave" smooth. I never saw Dr. Klein and they had me under general because of a bad experience with the twilight crud. The Anesthesiologist did an AWESOME job 'cause I woke up in recovery feeling just short of a million bucks. Sure I was a touch groggy for about 5-6 hours afterwards, but compared to other GA experiences I have had, I felt wonderful.

Now my past surgeries involved 3-4 stones at a time. This one was only one. It might explain why instead of pledging my allegiance to the maker of percocet, I was happy with taking a grand total of two Extra Strength Tylenol's since my surgery on Monday to today.

I have follow up in a week, and hopefully I'll finally get to the bottom of why I'm making stones in the first place (long story as to why I haven't in the past).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville