Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 11:46 AM

377 posts, read 469,831 times

Advertisements

I just saw this article and thought it was worth sharing. Maryville TN was named 6th safest place to live in Tennessee:
Maryville named 6th safest city in Tennessee

I know that reported numbers can be manipulated. (For example, crime that occurs a block from official UT campus isn't included in campus crime reports or student text message alerts.) However, I live in Maryville and feel safe running the greenbelt, etc. So my question is ...

Do you believe reports like this? Are there places you wouldn't go in Maryville? Are there any nearby towns you would consider safer than Maryville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 10:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Here's what I don't like about Maryville. The article calls it a suburb of Knoxville, although Maryville denizens would beg to differ. It also said something even bizarre about Maryville enjoying from the tourists that go to Pigeon Forge, Dollywood and the Park. I think that most tourists don't go through Maryville and that's a good thing.

In any event, I just don't think that downtown Maryville has much going on. It has always had the potential, but for whatever reason, it never really got there. I often think it's because the majority of its residents don't support mom and pop businesses, but gravitate toward big box retail offerings. Not everyone, of course, but a lot of them.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:58 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
I always felt pretty dang safe in inner city Knoxville so maybe I'm skewed. I never even went to Maryville the entire time I lived in Knoxville, so it's probably pretty safe. And maybe a little boring?

Old 04-03-2016, 06:01 PM

377 posts, read 469,831 times
Market Square and the Old City certainly has more excitement than Maryville, but I do enjoy drinks and appetizers at Foothills Milling Co or a cold brew and food truck at Casual Pint. I miss the Fall Festival something aweful!!!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:53 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Here's what I don't like about Maryville. The article calls it a suburb of Knoxville, although Maryville denizens would beg to differ. It also said something even bizarre about Maryville enjoying from the tourists that go to Pigeon Forge, Dollywood and the Park. I think that most tourists don't go through Maryville and that's a good thing.

In any event, I just don't think that downtown Maryville has much going on. It has always had the potential, but for whatever reason, it never really got there. I often think it's because the majority of its residents don't support mom and pop businesses, but gravitate toward big box retail offerings. Not everyone, of course, but a lot of them.
Tourists heading to Townsend, aka "the quiet side of the Smokies", from Knoxville, Chattanooga and points beyond certainly do go right through Maryville. They may not contribute much to the local economy - but they are on the roads and no doubt do buy gasoline and snacks and perhaps a few other items.

However, I expect most tourists who go to Townsend from Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg either go through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park via the Little River Road, or else take the road through Wear's Cove from Pigeon Forge to Townsend, thus avoiding Maryville (not necessarily by intent, just by taking the shortest routes). But even then, they may go to Maryville to exit the area, as the roads are far less congested and traffic moves much more quickly there than in Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, especially.

I had to have my old car towed into Maryville from Townsend a few years ago - people in both towns could not have been more helpful and polite and friendly. Nice folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville