Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 11:21 AM

257 posts, read 489,612 times

Advertisements

We will be taking a trip to Ireland and I am thinking of using Uber to go to and from our home to the Knoxville airport. The price is reasonable. We live outside Maryville in Blount County about 20 minutes from the airport. The way the app works is you request a ride when you want to leave. What am I am uncertain about is how long it takes someone to pick you up? Has anyone used Uber and what was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
We will be taking a trip to Ireland and I am thinking of using Uber to go to and from our home to the Knoxville airport. The price is reasonable. We live outside Maryville in Blount County about 20 minutes from the airport. The way the app works is you request a ride when you want to leave. What am I am uncertain about is how long it takes someone to pick you up? Has anyone used Uber and what was your experience?
When you start to request an Uber it will estimate how long it will take them to get from their location to your location to pick you up. You can actually try it yourself right now without committing to anything.

Uber experiences vary but most of mine have been positive.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM

191 posts, read 308,201 times
We've used Uber several times with no problems. As suggested, try out the app without actually ordering a ride.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:35 PM

257 posts, read 489,612 times
Thanks! I know it will vary depending on how close a driver who might commit is to your location. I didn't know I could start the booking process and not have to pay. I will try it at the day and time of day we plan to leave one week in advance.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
Thanks! I know it will vary depending on how close a driver who might commit is to your location. I didn't know I could start the booking process and not have to pay. I will try it at the day and time of day we plan to leave one week in advance.
Great, just keep in mind that everything varies and your experience will be unique to your actual day you travel. You never know how many Uber Drivers there are on a particular day, in your area, etc. So, allow plenty of time and leave early (as you would anyway, even if you drove yourself).

Old 04-21-2017, 04:48 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I'd not only try the app I'd go ahead and take a ride just so you get the hang of it. Big trips are stressful, you want this part figured out before the day you leave.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:46 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
If you're traveling with a lot of bags you might want to try booking an UberXL instead of the regular UberX. The driver will come with a bigger car so there's no drama trying to make sure everything fits in the trunk.

Also, if Lyft is available there, you can schedule your pick up time and location up to 48 hours in advance.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
If you're traveling with a lot of bags you might want to try booking an UberXL instead of the regular UberX. The driver will come with a bigger car so there's no drama trying to make sure everything fits in the trunk.

Also, if Lyft is available there, you can schedule your pick up time and location up to 48 hours in advance.
Not from around here are you? I see XL in big cities mostly; not in Blount County. I saw the Philly in your name. ;-)

Old 05-02-2017, 08:33 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
XL vehicles are here in the area as well. It really depends on the vehicle, but a lot of UberX vehicles can fit a LOT of bags. However, if there are four people, four really big bags and four carry-ons, by all means, get an XL.

You can schedule an Uber 30 days in advance and seven days ahead with Lyft.

In any event, "scheduling" is a misnomer. You can set the ride up, but the secret is that it really doesn't matter. In the end, whether there is a driver around or not will matter. You see, Uber doesn't set up the ride with a driver ahead of time.

However, don't panic. Uber has become very popular in the almost three years that it's been in the area. There is always SOMEONE around to pick you up. Lyft, on the other hand, has struggled. Even in the middle of the afternoon, a rider can sometimes wait 30 minutes for a ride.

There are less drivers in Maryville, whereas in Knoxville there are too many, in my opinion. When you need the ride will be important. At any given time, there are usually at least one to sometimes 17 drivers sitting at McGhee Tyson. Getting a ride from the airport is almost never a problem. Think middle of the night, big event going on in Knoxville. Even then, there are probably a couple of drivers sitting at the airport. The running joke amongst the drivers is that some of those drivers sit at the airport - even if there are 15 drivers in que! - because at least they can tell their significant other that they have a job. They get to read or play video games for hours!

The point is that if you are in Maryville, if you ask for a ride via the app, if there are no drivers in Maryville, someone at the airport will get the ping and go pick you up.

And to answer your question, almost all Knoxville drivers arrive within 10 minutes. On rare occasions, the wait is a little longer. In Maryville, it might be the same, but sometimes the wait is longer. The good news is that I've seen more drivers in the Maryville area in the past week, so be good to your drivers and they might not quit.

Last edited by JMT; 05-02-2017 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville