Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 PM

305 posts, read 723,790 times

Advertisements

Uber has done far too much for its consumers to simply stop service. They have provided our cities with jobs, and better and cheaper service than expensive taxi cabs. After millions demanding the commissioners to back off, regulations have been set that would keep them from running in the county, all so taxi companies can make a buck without being forced to compete.

I say if nothing is done about this soon I suggest more drastic actions be taken against the commissioners and the taxi companies. Uber is a necessity for those who can't afford cars, a necessity for people who need jobs. People rely on Uber to go to school and work.

Last edited by Cynthetik; 07-07-2015 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 05:40 PM

81 posts, read 98,010 times
There is nothing good about Uber. The employees have no idea what kind of liability they create for themselves and the riders have no or little idea what would happen if they were injured in a Uber ride.
No Thanks

Old 07-08-2015, 07:36 AM

366 posts, read 516,977 times
uber has insurance on all drivers up to $1M. uber is cheaper, nicer cars, far more polite drivers. id still use uber if it was more expensive than taxis. taxis are a disgrace in south florida. my mechanics car is cleaner than most taxis.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:38 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I use Uber all the time here in Miami and I've used it in broward as well.
It has been a god-send for me. I'm so sorry to hear that they will no longer be operating in Broward.

If I can help it, I'll never take a cab again. Those things are awful. My many experiences with Uber have been fantastic!

I live in Kendall and fly rather frequently. In a cab, my rides to the airport costed anywhere from $55 to $60 depending on the cabbie. With Uber, they're consistently $25 to $26 bucks. HALF the price of a grimey cab. The ride is always so much nicer, the driver's so much nicer, everything about Uber is 10x better than anything in a disgusting, filthy cab.

Broward is so backward sometimes, it amazes me.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:57 AM

366 posts, read 516,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I use Uber all the time here in Miami and I've used it in broward as well.
It has been a god-send for me. I'm so sorry to hear that they will no longer be operating in Broward.

If I can help it, I'll never take a cab again. Those things are awful. My many experiences with Uber have been fantastic!

I live in Kendall and fly rather frequently. In a cab, my rides to the airport costed anywhere from $55 to $60 depending on the cabbie. With Uber, they're consistently $25 to $26 bucks. HALF the price of a grimey cab. The ride is always so much nicer, the driver's so much nicer, everything about Uber is 10x better than anything in a disgusting, filthy cab.

Broward is so backward sometimes, it amazes me.
i think broward just took the cabbies bribe money. other counties will follow suit

Old 07-08-2015, 08:57 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Wow, this is terrible.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:37 AM

389 posts, read 662,130 times
I am not surprised about this because it's just politics as usual. It's been said that the Broward County Commission operates like a corrupt, mean-spirited condo board that rewards its friends (such as the taxi industry, which contributes a lot of campaign cash). This turn of events proves it again. What can you say about an organization in which the most powerful, longest-tenured county commissioner is married to a lobbyist who does business with the county?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
A good friend of mine was hit by an Uber driver - horrible accident.
The guy swore up and down he didn't work for Uber and it was proven he in fact did.
He did NOT have the proper insurance and so Uber's being held accountable.
No Thanks and bah-bye Uber!

Old 07-08-2015, 07:32 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Uber can operate cheaply because they do things off the books. They aren't playing by the same rules as Yellow Cab. Their drivers aren't properly licensed or insured, don't require background checks, and use their own vehicles. Uber's costs to hire a driver are virtually zero and they don't need to employ call center dispatchers since everything is done on the online app.

I have taken Uber and their service was excellent. That said, I don't think people understand the risks they take when they use Uber. God forbid an accident occurs involving a serious injury while you are riding as an Uber passenger. It would be an insurance liability nightmare.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:21 AM

305 posts, read 723,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
I am not surprised about this because it's just politics as usual. It's been said that the Broward County Commission operates like a corrupt, mean-spirited condo board that rewards its friends (such as the taxi industry, which contributes a lot of campaign cash). This turn of events proves it again. What can you say about an organization in which the most powerful, longest-tenured county commissioner is married to a lobbyist who does business with the county?
I have this sudden urge to start cyber attacks on the commission until they see the error of their corruption. They're only doing this because the cab companies are paying them to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area