Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 8,644 times

Advertisements

Greetings:
I am an airline pilot moving to my new base, Knoxville, in May. My wife and I have two children, both girls, ages 4 and 2. We are looking to rent and was wondering (have not been to Knoxville for a visit, yet) what area we should begin looking in. Obviously, I am more concerned with safety over the commute since I will be away from home often.

Also, my wife would like to work at least part-time. However, my schedule fluctuates often and would make it difficult to find a job with such flexibility. Any ideas? Any area employers who allow someone to work from home?

Thank you very much and we are soooooo excited about moving to Knoxville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 06:39 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,825,286 times
I'm not a Knoxville-neighborhood expert so I'm sure others will respond with safest places to live (if not, post again!) All in all, I consider Knoxville to be a rather safe city. There are a lot of nice developments in west Knox, south Knox, and Blount county. Maybe you should check the Rockford/Alcoa area. I'd say first check out taxes and things between counties - see which county suits you better financially.

What type of PT employment does your wife want - computer work? Part time jobs are hard to come by. Working at home, I don't know, I don't think it's too promising. I've been meticulously looking at jobs since October (office jobs and general employment) and I have not seen much in the way of working from home - unless it's those scams promising thousands of dollars. Perhaps medical transcription is the way to go.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:57 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,954 times
What about a home daycare? I had one years ago and it worked really wonderfully for us. Not only did we save on daycare for our two little ones (which in the early 90's would've been about 300 a week) but I brought in an extra 200-300 a week.

I've heard people really like the Fountain City area of Knoxville. I can't say from personal experience, though...and I don't know where the "base" is in Knoxville so keep in mind that "Knoxville" can be 45 minutes from one end to the other so depending on where in Knoxville you'll be working, there may be lots of other towns that become an option for you!

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2008, 05:49 AM

If I were moving to Knoxville I would stay away from north Knoxville, and any area off Broadway, because of how far away it is from the airport, and because of the congestion on Broadway - that road is a nightmare. Maybe something off 75 would be considered. I am not aware of many "newer" developments off Broadway.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:30 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Considering where you are working, I would look into Maryville.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:41 AM

27 posts, read 107,663 times
Default Consider north Knoxville

The airport is 20 minutes from the historic neighborhoods of north Knoxville off Broadway: Fourth & Gill: A Historic Knoxville Neighborhood and Historic Old North Knoxville ; there are mothers who get together for events and playgroups for their children.
All the best,
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
If I were moving to Knoxville I would stay away from north Knoxville, and any area off Broadway, because of how far away it is from the airport, and because of the congestion on Broadway - that road is a nightmare. Maybe something off 75 would be considered. I am not aware of many "newer" developments off Broadway.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:51 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pittman View Post
The airport is 20 minutes from the historic neighborhoods of north Knoxville off Broadway: Fourth & Gill: A Historic Knoxville Neighborhood and Historic Old North Knoxville ; there are mothers who get together for events and playgroups for their children.
All the best,
Bill
Speaking of which, I need to "talk" to you, Bill Pittman.

First, a question. Do most of the children in the area go to public or private schools? How are the public schools?

And, do you have any available rentals?

Okay, that was more than one question.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,644 times
Thank you all for the replies! Looks like anywhere but the East side of Knoxville.

Speaking of Knoxville, anyone know if they ever put that planned Costco in town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
What about a home daycare? I had one years ago and it worked really wonderfully for us. Not only did we save on daycare for our two little ones (which in the early 90's would've been about 300 a week) but I brought in an extra 200-300 a week.

I've heard people really like the Fountain City area of Knoxville. I can't say from personal experience, though...and I don't know where the "base" is in Knoxville so keep in mind that "Knoxville" can be 45 minutes from one end to the other so depending on where in Knoxville you'll be working, there may be lots of other towns that become an option for you!

Good luck!
Great idea!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times
Hi Knoxville Pilot,

My ex husband is an international airline captain and now my son is a pilot also. And, my ex father in law was both a military and commercial pilot. I have been surrounded for years by your type! LOL Years ago, I was in your shoes, er, well your wife's shoes. Considering your situation I would advise you to carefully consider Maryville. There are quite a few pilots out this way and also there is a great network of Moms and toddler/pre-schoolers. I think your wife would have a pilot wife network that you and I both know is important. Houses to rent are available but you pretty much almost have to drive around to find them. Most owners rent them out themselves and don't use an agency or service. You haven't mentioned what kind of work that your wife is interested in so I would have to know more to advise you there. Please feel free to message me via DM. Congrats on getting based here; may you enjoy your time here in TYS.

All the best,

SMG

Old 03-09-2008, 05:19 PM

SMG is surely right about Maryville. Just want to add a few things - you don't want to be anywhere near the downtown area, as the front cover of the paper today clearly shows. It has a map of shootings, knifings and beatings in that region, and this includes Old City, which is pretty close to the area of Broadway that Bill mentioned (Gill St.) Any section of north Knoxville is going to be more than 20 minutes from the airport. Parts of east Knox are nice - like Strawberry Plains - but again, further from the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville