Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 11:58 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I kind of figured it was a city tax thing. So here is one in West Knoxville, not sure if it's within the city limits. Asking $156,000 with property taxes at around $1,400

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/house_type/41651094_zpid/145000-170000_price/557-653_mp/pricea_sort/36.029458,-83.874865,35.902191,-84.023867_rect/12_zm/

Then a similar priced home south of Knoxville with taxes reported at $564, however for '13 and '14 they bumped up to near a thousand. Someone's got to explain that one to me. I am assuming with a higher property tax comes more services such as trash removal or whatever. Still hard to justify a $1,000 increase for a retiree with no kids.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...83_rect/12_zm/

The actual property taxes for 2017 for the Kingsmore house were $824 county plus $957 city. You can check county tax here: https://www.msbpay.com/KnoxTrustee/#/SearchDetail Once you find the county tax, there is a button on the left to link to city tax, if there is any. You get fire protection and trash pickup in the city. You have to privately contract for those services in the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 03:31 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Thanks, I figured there were other services. This is very difficult to understand and I don't want to have to look up each address on your link to determine the true taxes. I guess when we get closer a realtor will help us out. The bigger question is would South Knoxville not be desirable? Seems pretty rural, which we want, but still close to the city.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:21 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
[quote=Paige1;50801123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

The Hall tax will be zero % by 2020.
Man, ain’t Tennessee great? In laws live in upstate New York I’m currrently up here. The taxes are beyond insane. They are trying to phase in taxes for straws in restaurants for God’s sake. Property taxes are $5200 a year for their $150k house.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:14 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Taxes are based on past values, listing price on current or (in a speculative market) future values. Both can be a pretty inexact science unless you are looking at a home in a subdivision with rapid turnover of very similar houses. I notice the house on Neubert Springs had the taxes reduced considerably - most likely because the owners reached an age where they are eligible for a tax reduction. Then there's county only vs city + county, in the latter case you get a lot more services.

Quote:
Seems pretty rural, which we want, but still close to the city
If you want rural that is close to the city then South Knoxville is very desirable in this regard.

It would help if you explained what you mean by desirable. Are you talking about "keeping up appearances"? Do you feel like there is a universal definition of desirable?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Taxes are based on past values, listing price on current or (in a speculative market) future values. Both can be a pretty inexact science unless you are looking at a home in a subdivision with rapid turnover of very similar houses. I notice the house on Neubert Springs had the taxes reduced considerably - most likely because the owners reached an age where they are eligible for a tax reduction. Then there's county only vs city + county, in the latter case you get a lot more services.

If you want rural that is close to the city then South Knoxville is very desirable in this regard.

It would help if you explained what you mean by desirable. Are you talking about "keeping up appearances"? Do you feel like there is a universal definition of desirable?
Yeah desirable is subjective for sure. I had read West Knoxville is more desirable than East Knoxville. I took that to mean less run down homes, less crime, better schools that sort of thing. So I guess that's my definition.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:47 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Quote:
run down homes
It's interesting, there are run down homes in some rural areas of west Knoxville. I'm thinking of a cluster on Wrights ferry road you pass by to get to some very desirable (imo) beautiful lakeside subdivisions. But as a whole and in proportion there are far more run down homes in South Knoxville. But I don't think you pass any run down homes on the way to the Neubert Springs house. So that could be something to consider as you evaluate a particular house.

I stated in post #11 that schools tend to be rated higher in West Knox. Though Bonny Kate school is rated highly as well.

I think you can get crime stats.

Quote:
Without offending other posters who may live there is South Knoxville not considered desirable?
Why would anyone be offended if a nearby house is run down?

Last edited by Yac; 12-11-2020 at 01:04 AM..

Old 02-01-2018, 02:23 PM

Well if someone is born and raised in South Knoxville and a few posters come in to say it's a dump and not recommended, well I can see someone being offended and I didn't want to start all that. We obviously need to see for ourselves. Currently we live in a rural area and really like the open spaces but also need to be close to things, especially as we age. A few run down homes doesn't bother me, we have them here too, But an entire area of fridges on beat up front porches and 4 trashed cars in the yard is a different story. As retirees school quality is a non-factor.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:29 AM

213 posts, read 216,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Well if someone is born and raised in South Knoxville and a few posters come in to say it's a dump and not recommended, well I can see someone being offended and I didn't want to start all that. We obviously need to see for ourselves. Currently we live in a rural area and really like the open spaces but also need to be close to things, especially as we age. A few run down homes doesn't bother me, we have them here too, But an entire area of fridges on beat up front porches and 4 trashed cars in the yard is a different story. As retirees school quality is a non-factor.

Thanks for the help.
As an upcoming retiree, one of the myriad factors I consider is public transportation. Knoxville offers a low cost, door to door transport for disabled seniors. But it is only available inside the city limits.

See: LIFT | Knoxville Area Transit, TN

Old 02-03-2018, 09:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabus View Post
As an upcoming retiree, one of the myriad factors I consider is public transportation. Knoxville offers a low cost, door to door transport for disabled seniors. But it is only available inside the city limits.

Actually:

https://www.ethra.org/programs/16/public-transit/

Old 02-04-2018, 06:12 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabus View Post

That service is available everywhere in Tennessee, not just in Knoxville, and it's often cheaper ($1 in Cookeville instead of $3 in Knoxville). It's also not limited to disabled seniors. Every county in Tennessee is covered by a human resource agency such as the one hiknapster cited for Knoxville, and each HRA provides door-to-door transportation to anyone, not just the disabled or seniors.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 02-04-2018 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville