Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 06:24 PM

18 posts, read 20,992 times

Advertisements

I have been reading lots of things of the area as we are going to be relocating to that area...hopefully.. but I have not heard about access and clarity of connections for internet, cellphone/landline and cable TV.

We are looking around the E/SE of Knoxville area.. Maryville, Seymour, Blount and up towards Kodak general area.

Do you get good reception/service to this area? What are the issues to be faced for these services? Lot of dropped calls and slow internet? Thanks for any information you can share...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 08:37 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Verizon is the carrier of choice in east TN. Other carriers will get good coverage in cities, but smaller towns and rural areas may be spotty.

It looks like Comcast and Charter both service Maryville. If you're interested in a property, you'd want to plug the address into an online service area map.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 6,878 times
... and be aware that sometimes the online service mapping tools for cable/internet can be flawed. We had relied on Charter/Spectrum's online tool when selecting a home, and found out *the day before closing* that the online tool had given us inaccurate information. (The online tool said that the address was covered. We called the day before closing to set up service and found out that our address is about 1/2 mile beyond their service area. It was not a good day.) However, we have gotten line-of-sight wireless service that is outstanding. So look at all your options, do your research, and beware of relying on availability promises by realtors, neighbors, or online tools.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:54 PM

420 posts, read 1,535,662 times
It can really vary by location. Yes, Verizon is the carrier of choice for more rural TN. If you get a serious about a specific place, it is worth multiple phone calls to providers. Many will not immediately know if your area is covered until you try to buy service...then it can become very clear!

Also be aware that sometimes service drops off considerably if you are in a "hole", for example, down a slope next to a lake.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:45 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I'd also call the local Charter/Comcast offices if interested in a property and ask a local rep to check.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:27 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,825,286 times
AT&T and Verizon seem to be the best for cell coverage. When we went camping at Big Ridge (on Norris Lake) my friend had spotty reception with Sprint but I had no problems with Consumer Cellular which uses AT&T towers. You won't get good cell reception in the Smokies though, with any company.

In Seymour we have Charter (Spectrum) but have switched to Dish for TV. It rarely goes out. Spectrum internet has improved over the past decade.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:21 PM

377 posts, read 470,492 times
I haven't had problems in the areas you mention. Walland, Townsend, and Friendsville have some issues with cell phone coverage. At one time we had issues with both cell phones and internet in Maryville around Wilkinson pike due to all the new homes popping up and blocking towers, but I think they have done something to address that. You may also have spotty coverage in sections of Oak Ridge (I don't know if the large rock formations interfere with the signal?).

I can't address cable service because we have been using Mohu Leaf antennas and Mohu Sky Attic antenna to get tons of channels for free.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:24 PM

18 posts, read 20,992 times
Thanks for the info. I figure TN is up on the techie issues as any other state, but with the hills and mountains.. they can't control those!

Old 07-10-2019, 06:56 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,912,322 times
I have T-Mobile and it is fine along the highways and around Knoxville, but when I cut across the mountains to North Carolina, I hit dead spots. I dropped cable TV when I moved to Knoxville. I use a window antenna and Netflix/Hulu.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:28 AM

12 posts, read 13,582 times
I'm in Maryville and have Verizon for cell service and AT&T fiber for internet/tv. Verizon works seemingly everywhere and the fiber is sorted out now and working well with the 300 mb/s speed although 1 gig/s is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville