Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 08:46 PM

159 posts, read 292,135 times

Advertisements

Like many posts here.. we are looking to relocate to the Knoxville area within the year. We have dogs so looking for a home that would fit our needs and strangely enough, it seems that almost NONE of them have fenced in yards? Coming from Louisiana and Texas, almost every yard is fenced here. Is that not the norm for the rest of the US?
I was thinking maybe it was due to rocky ground/soil? Hilly ground? City ordinances?

I’d love it if someone could shed some light on my pretty random question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 09:11 PM

457 posts, read 496,543 times
It’s funny you ask that. We relocated to the DFW area from the Nashville area and were surprised to see that all yards have fences. I guess it’s a regional thing? Idk

Old 07-31-2019, 05:47 AM

394 posts, read 794,189 times
HOAs may have rules on fences while other people may chose to not have fences. I see lots of FB posts about lost pets that were "let out" and didn't return, apparently no fenced yard. I am not aware of any city/county prohibition on fences.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:32 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname10 View Post
Like many posts here.. we are looking to relocate to the Knoxville area within the year. We have dogs so looking for a home that would fit our needs and strangely enough, it seems that almost NONE of them have fenced in yards? Coming from Louisiana and Texas, almost every yard is fenced here. Is that not the norm for the rest of the US?
I was thinking maybe it was due to rocky ground/soil? Hilly ground? City ordinances?

I’d love it if someone could shed some light on my pretty random question
I just had my fence replaced last week in West Knoxville. The HOA governs what kind of fence we can put up, but there are plenty of fences around. I also have dogs and back up to a busy street. When the original fence was down, it struck me how exposed and unsafe I would feel without that privacy fence. I would just suggest that if you move into a subdivision you get the covenants ahead of time to be clear on fence restrictions and allowable styles. I knew the existing fence was rotted when I bought my house, so I knew what I was getting into. My HOA requires shadowbox with 6-inch gothic posts....expensive. They also allow aluminum, but that wouldn't be what I would want for my lot on the busy street.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:33 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
A lot of subdivisions do have fences, some of them quite old (subdivisions). My neighborhood (approx 1993) did not have fences, and there is a requirement of what kind you can have. Since we had dogs, we installed a fence right after we moved in. Another neighbor installed a fence when they moved in.

Subdivision developers typically don't install fences, likely because of the cost. S/D regulations usually dictate the type of fence that is allowed.

Where I grew up in So CA, every house had a fence. But that was then, and that was there.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:15 PM

363 posts, read 482,015 times
Newer subdivisions have fences. Older ones not so much. Same thing with sidewalks. I think it's just how it works around here.

Other than an HOA, usually there's nothing stopping people from putting up a fence. YMMV.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:06 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,699 times
Communities with yard maintenance included in the monthly fees tend to prohibit fences. These are mainly condos, but I have seen it for some detached single-family houses. Overall, you will not have any problem finding a yard that is fenced or can accommodate a fence.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:13 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
Newer subdivisions have fences. Older ones not so much. Same thing with sidewalks. I think it's just how it works around here.

Other than an HOA, usually there's nothing stopping people from putting up a fence. YMMV.
I have to disagree on that one. I inspected LOTS of new construction, and outside of maybe perimeter fencing, most of the homes do not provide fencing. Ball Homes and Smithbuilt in particular do not. My daughter bought a Smithbuilt home, and fencing was not included. The did dictate how a fence would look if the new homeowner decided they wanted a fence (on their dime). Smithbuilt even discouraged home owners from using someone other than their "preferred" fence contractor.
Older sub divisions are full of fences.

I went to different homes every day inspecting them, hundreds per year. There are a lot of homes with fences.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:30 PM

713 posts, read 2,716,703 times
I moved to Clarksville, TN last year. I was stationed here (Ft. Campbell) in 1983-1984. What struck me as odd back then is that no one had garages.

The house I am renting does not have a back fence.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:54 PM

377 posts, read 469,831 times
Most developments don't have anything against fences ... in some cases the property is big enough that a fence would cost too much. In other cases, people just don't want them.

Most new construction doesn't provide a fence and has rules on what you can select and whether there is a setback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville