Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,947 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I'd like to thank everyone for their input and private messages. I think I came off a bit wrong somehow though. Let me say, without sounding full of myself, I am not worried about myself or my family fitting in or getting along with others, I had gotten the impression northerners or "Yankees" as we were often referred to, didn't belong. I am now finding out through your help that this is far from the way it is. Sooo... let me tell you more about us and I can't wait to come down and see this wonderfull place for myself.
My son Hayden is 6 years old. He is the baseball, football player, and wrestling machine. I coach his baseball and flag football teams for delhi township. He is a state placer in wrestling as well. You can check him out on you tube if you like, just type in Hayden Campbell and you can see 2 of his regional tournements.
My daughter Madyson is 8 years old. She has been learning Karate for a few years now and is more than half way to earning her black belt. We had the state tournement a few weeks ago and she became the state champ in kata and sparring. You can also see her on you tube "Madyson Campbell"
We are pretty laid back people, just really active!!! I had worked at the same place for ten years until the owner decided to retire due to our economy being in the tank. I was able to get a new job fairly quickly due to my experience and personality. This is what makes me think I should be able to find something there. I figure if I can easily find work here, I should be able to find work anywhere. My wife is a medical assistant, but is currently staying home to be with the kids. She is a wonderful person with an enormous heart. She has the best personality I have seen in anyone my entire life. She'll fit in just fine.
I hope this helps out and I can't wait to come down to see the area, check out housing, and hopfully land some interviews as well. See ya soon!!!!! The Campbell's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 PM

119 posts, read 384,435 times
We live in Oak Ridge, but go into Knoxville a lot...and I know a lot of people that live there....we moved here from Indiana just over a year ago and have never felt like outsiders. We absolutely love it here!!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:33 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
KenandLori, you sound like a wonderful family, which will help you out!

There is nothing for Yankees to fear in E. TN except, as everyone has stated in this thread and soooo many others, moving without a job first, trying to make your new home spot just like the one you left behind, or wanting all of your neighbors and friends to be like the ones back in MI.

I raised my 4 boys in MI for 17+ yrs. and always loved it there. We moved on to PA and I loved it there. Next up, MA for several years - loved it! Now, we are resting in N. GA anticipating our move in the near future to E. TN and we know we will love it there, too. Why? Because we find things to love about every state and area we have ever lived in.

That's the ticket. Let your habits and mindset fall into step with any native Tennessean you meet and you will fit right in perfectly - and you will love doing it because you will feel accepted. It's a wonderful, welcoming, diverse state with people from every corner of the US and world. You will definitely enjoy it and fit in if you are willing to adapt yourself to the ways and culture of TN.

Now, about that job. . .

Old 05-07-2008, 07:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandLori View Post
I was able to get a new job fairly quickly due to my experience and personality. This is what makes me think I should be able to find something there. I figure if I can easily find work here, I should be able to find work anywhere.
Don't assume anything. I'm sure you've heard that before.

Just because you were able to easily get a job in your state does not mean that you can get a job here. It is always hard to get a job as an "outsider." To get a job now, when locals are struggling, can be a fool's adventure. No offense, but you don't seem to be "hearing" this advice.

A year ago, and more, people were advised of this, moved here, and are now struggling. Before you worry about schools, friendly people, neighborhoods, you need to make sure that you can make money.

Best of luck to you. I'll be happy to help with anything.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 PM

68 posts, read 103,994 times
Ken,

I am not exactly sure why you want to relocate? You cite certain socio-economic conditions that are impacting Michigan but, on the other hand, you seem to be doing quite well. You have stable employment and appear to be enjoying the marvelous benefits of solid-family interaction. You've achieved much of what many people are striving - kudos to you and yours. Ok, perhaps you simply need a change? Yet, there is something interesting that I've noticed about people in transition. Systematically, they develop a perceptual phenomenon that easily re-enforces the notion that the grass is greener on the other side. It may be, or it simply could be different grass. Often then, they encounter events that prove to be rather anti-climatic or disappointing. Especially, if they move from a larger metro region to a smaller one (don't know if that is your situation). They come into contact with "inexplicable situations" that transcend attitude or disposition and become disillusioned. Trading off a lot, to gain little did not necessarily prove to be the best option. Perhaps, you may want to rethink the move in terms of does the new locale adequately align with my (family included) worldview, are there common community values, are there environmental, educational, transportation, religious or political issues that require some attention? If I don't have a job (I hope that you do) can I sustain my family and make necessary sacrifices until gainful employment is achieved? We used to say that it takes 1 month of unemployment for every $10,000 dollars that you make to gain comparable employment. Of course, these are just considerations. They simply give you the chance to reasonably buy into your decision. Already, you may be way beyond any such personal scrutiny? Whatever your choice, I wish you great joy and a gratifying quality of living. Shalom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville