Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,986 times

Advertisements

Also, if you show up to court for a speeding ticket and the ticketing officer does not show, is the ticket dismissed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 03:21 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,265 times
Could be, especially if you contest it. Some judges will dismiss, and let you off for court cost, but could get rescheduled.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:19 PM

I got busted for speeding. I was trying to get around a semi before it turned to one lane for construction. No workers present or anything like that. The officer who gave me the ticket wrote the amount down, I sent a check and got a letter back saying we only take money orders, (my mistake) and oh btw, the amount should be more. I paid over a hundred and they wanted about 75 more. I got a mo for the original amount and said that I didn't think it was right to change the amount and to let me know if there was a problem and if there was, I would show up in court. Well, it's over a week since the court date and I hear today that no, you have to pay the higher amount, and I said then I want to come to court. The clerk isn't sure if the judge will give me another date. It ticks me off, because it doesn't seem right to me to change the amount after the fact. I will drive the three hours to go to court if that's what it takes. Seems to me it would make sense for them to just take the money and not clog up the court with something like this where I paid what the officer said I owed.

<<<Vent over>>>

Old 04-09-2009, 06:56 PM

15 posts, read 48,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I got busted for speeding. I was trying to get around a semi before it turned to one lane for construction. No workers present or anything like that. The officer who gave me the ticket wrote the amount down, I sent a check and got a letter back saying we only take money orders, (my mistake) and oh btw, the amount should be more. I paid over a hundred and they wanted about 75 more. I got a mo for the original amount and said that I didn't think it was right to change the amount and to let me know if there was a problem and if there was, I would show up in court. Well, it's over a week since the court date and I hear today that no, you have to pay the higher amount, and I said then I want to come to court. The clerk isn't sure if the judge will give me another date. It ticks me off, because it doesn't seem right to me to change the amount after the fact. I will drive the three hours to go to court if that's what it takes. Seems to me it would make sense for them to just take the money and not clog up the court with something like this where I paid what the officer said I owed.

<<<Vent over>>>
Sounds to me like you should make a copy of the ticket (amount shown) and send it back. Then if it's not good enough tell them to send you a revised ticket with justification for the increase. Play the mail game, in the meantime, slow down.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:30 PM

I sent them the original citation, with the new money order for the original amount. I made copies of everything. I think if I had paid the original amount with a money order the first time around, they would have just accepted it and i would have heard nothing.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM

Yay! I got a call while I was out today saying the judge agreed to settle for the original amount the officer wrote me up for. Maybe they figured it wasn't worth the court time, but who knows. At any rate, I'm very happy about it.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Yay! I got a call while I was out today saying the judge agreed to settle for the original amount the officer wrote me up for. Maybe they figured it wasn't worth the court time, but who knows. At any rate, I'm very happy about it.
Good for you!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:05 AM

I called up and thanked the judges secretary for asking him about it again. I figured she doesn't get too many people appreciating what she does! <G>

Old 04-14-2009, 09:35 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
I called up and thanked the judges secretary for asking him about it again. I figured she doesn't get too many people appreciating what she does! <G>
Good for you, again! It's so important to thank people when they do a good job, go the extra mile, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville