Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,797 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to purchase a home in Knoxville. We have been here for a year now, but we still don't really know much about every neighborhood around town. We would really like to be close to Downtown Knoxville or in Old North Knoxville. We aren't really ready for the "burbs" yet (we are currently in West Knoxville and drive downtown every weekend to do things!), so we were wanting to know where the best places were to buy in those areas? My husband works second shift and gets home pretty late so obviously we are looking for something safe, but also near all the things we like to do downtown (Market Square, Old City, etc.).

Thanks for the help! We can't wait to get a house & be done renting!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 01:48 PM

29 posts, read 56,085 times
There are a lot of nice homes in the historic areas close to downtown. They include places like Old North Knox, 4th & Gill, Parkridge, Sequoyah Hills, etc. There are some nice areas in South Knox too that will be close to downtown when the bridge is finished in February. Not sure if it work for you but there are also condos as well.

The first question I would ask is where your husband works...what would downtown location do to that? You probably don't want to increase that if you can help it.

My advice would be to find a real estate agent that is familiar with the areas and give them a call. There are several good ones available. Talk with a couple and see who you feel comfortable with. Let them do the leg work for you. As a buyer, their services would normally be paid for by the seller.

If you want more information about crime in an area there are two websites I can suggest...raidsonline.com and spotcrime.com. They provide information about crimes that have occurred in areas. Although, the way things have been going lately, I'm beginning to wonder if anywhere is "safe." You can 't fix crazy.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Old 05-22-2013, 06:10 PM

105 posts, read 270,696 times
Old houses are a nightmare to maintain. It also costs a fortune to heat them. Most pre-WWII houses were built without any kind of standards or building codes. Personally, I will never again buy a house built earlier than the 1960's, and the newer the better.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:47 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,305,824 times
True, old homes can be an energy challenge due to single pane windows and limited insulation.
However, building codes and building standards have been around well before WWII. In fact, in 1933, a huge change was made in the code relating how ceiling joists were installed in brick buildings. Not all areas "adopted" the codes, but the codes were in effect.

That said, an old house is not for everyone.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:25 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
Old houses tend to be cooler in the summer - especially with mature trees.

The key to sealing up the air leaks in an old house is to depressurise the house. This can be done with a simple box fan pointing out with cardboard fitted beside it. Then you can go around and feel the air leaks to seal them up with caulk. Be sure to check even the inside walls.

For more extensive insulation retrofitting, TVA/KUB has a weatherizing program.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,390,007 times
Congrats on deciding to become the joy of home ownership and I bet you will find, you can budget and find a house for probably about what your paying in rent. Like the other agent said, you can hook up with many good agents and they will be more than happy to guide you and listen to what your wants are and find exactly the perfect home that works. Good luck and a good idea to look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville