Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,723 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

My husband and I will be relocating to Knoxville in August. We would like to buy a house but are unsure of an area to look in.
He will be working at McGhee Tyson, so we are definitely thinking West Knoxville area. We have heard Farragut, Sequoyah Hills, and surrounding areas are good places. Can I get input on those?
We are looking for a fairly new (2000+), 3bed, 3bath house. We also like more of a modern style as opposed to traditional or colonial style home. Any suggestions?
Also, traffic conditions? How is traffic from Farragut, for example, to the airport for a normal morning commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,831 times
Keep in mind that TYS is actually in Blount County. Look in Maryville first, imo.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniestepher View Post
Hi All!

My husband and I will be relocating to Knoxville in August. We would like to buy a house but are unsure of an area to look in.
He will be working at McGhee Tyson, so we are definitely thinking West Knoxville area. We have heard Farragut, Sequoyah Hills, and surrounding areas are good places. Can I get input on those?
We are looking for a fairly new (2000+), 3bed, 3bath house. We also like more of a modern style as opposed to traditional or colonial style home. Any suggestions?
Also, traffic conditions? How is traffic from Farragut, for example, to the airport for a normal morning commute?
As VolDude said, Maryville is a heck of a lot closer to the airport and offers many upscale neighborhoods that you're apparently looking for.

But if you're determined to live in Knox County, then both Farragut and Sequoyah Hills are very nice. Sequoyah Hills is much older and more established. It's closer to downtown/U.T.

It's a fairly easy drive from either Farragut or Sequoyah Hills to the airport. Your husband will be going against rush hour traffic so traffic shouldn't be an issue.

You can go to realtor.com and see for yourself what kinds of homes are available in those areas and what the prices are.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Sequoyah doesn't have a many, if any, new homes.

But we need your price range.

And I still think Maryville would be preferable. Why are you looking at Farragut?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,723 times
Farragut was recommended by a friend who grew up in Knoxville.
Price range: 150k-200k.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:09 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniestepher View Post
Farragut was recommended by a friend who grew up in Knoxville.
Price range: 150k-200k.
Oh, wow. There is nothing in Farragut or Seqouyah for that price. Times may be bad but they are not that bad.

And I'm positive about this. I just checked the MLS.

There's a few houses in Maryville, which is better because it is closer. However, these are older homes and not the "charming" kind, either. You're going to have to change your parameters and/or expectations.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:34 AM

391 posts, read 1,359,616 times
Actually, in knowing where to look, there's going to be a few options in Farragut that do fit their criteria, depending on their definition of new. Homes built in the last ten years or so, in comtemporary design, can be found in Westbury, Harts Ridge, Poplar Place, Lakeshire, etc. 3 full baths under $200 will be something however that is hard to find. 2 full baths with one half will give you more options. Farragut is a nice area, also the Bluegrass/Ebenezer area off Northshore is a good option for this price range. Great access to Pellissippi making a quick commute to the airport. Maryville as mentioned will have some options, again, with a better understanding of new, or "newer."

We shouldn't quite have them change their expectations just quite yet, if they're just beginning to look. Seeing what's available in their price range, will a full detailed search, will give them an idea of what's available. Also, scanning the new listings between now and August can offer a possible perfect match. Best of luck with your move, and make sure to get a full detailed search of all the surrounding areas to see what works best for you.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I highly recommend Lakemoor Hills for modern style homes on large woodsy lots. It's on the west side of Alcoa hwy. Very convenient to both the airport and UT. Some are newer contemporary, many are modern from the 50's & 60's.

Other than that, there are pockets of contemporary homes all over West Knoxville. Mostly from the 70's & early 80s. Not very many in Maryville. Very few newer modernist homes in the Knoxville/Alcoa area that I know of, what few there are are custom and very pricey.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
There is one neighborhood in the city of Maryville that has homes with the modern look. However, they are priced well above the projected price range. All things considered here I would have to say that I agree with creeksitter's recommendation. I believe that the modern look at that price range is going to be a bit difficult. Good luck to the OP. Welcome to Knoxville!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 PM

204 posts, read 580,755 times
West Knoxville....subdivision Gallaher Station....homes about 8 or 9 years old....right around 200 3 or 4 bedrooms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville