Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM

25 posts, read 72,090 times

Advertisements

I have found a few homes there and was wondering how is that area? Everyone keeps telling me that West Knoxville is the place to be but wanted to get some opinions about Fountain City and commute to UT.

THank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 04:49 PM

592 posts, read 2,134,252 times
If you're commuting to UT, it should be an easy commute.

I've said many times I wish I'd looked harder at Fountain City when we were looking for homes. I love the area.

Lots of older homes, mature trees, etc....

Old 05-06-2009, 07:09 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,600 times
I know we've got more than a few Fountain City residents who regularly post here, and they all seem to love it. If you give it a while I'm sure you'll get some input from them.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Location: Virginia, just outside of DC, our crooks are just dressed better than yours.
84 posts, read 307,629 times
Default Fountain City

My daughter and son-in-law have a charming house there. They are well made holder homes with character and charm. The house has all kinds of little nooks and cranney's (?) and wonderful workmanship. Big beautiful trees are all over the place and somewhere in the area there is a large duck pond with a playground. There are a variety of age groups in the neighborhood and the people are friendly but not pushy. I'd buy there. She works around UT and often comes home for lunch, so it mustn't be too much of a commute.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:59 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,019 times
Fountain City has several great places and homes, in about any price range. JMT, Hiknapster will help enlighten you. We have toured many and showed to lots of folks, and great prices for most of the remodeled and lots of older homes with great character, which most folks love.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:18 PM

394 posts, read 794,189 times
It all depends on what you want, expect or like. If you can, spend some time just exploring/cruising the area. We settled on West Knoxville but that's just us. It's very much like the area we live in here in DC metro (only a LOT less traffic).

Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
I don't live in Fountain City, but I go to church there. It is, without hesitation, my favorite part of Knoxville. It's like a town within a town--and it actually used to be a separate town until it was absorbed by Knoxville in 1962. So it's got its own little "downtown" area.

From what I understand, Fountain City was originally a Methodist church camp back in 1833. In 1890 it was redeveloped as a suburb with everything clustered around the big old fountain that used to be at the entrance to the church camp. To this day, Fountain City revolves around its beloved duck pond and awesome park, flanked by the Creamery Grille and a block away from revered Litton's (home of the world's best red velvet cake).

Many of the older homes date from the 1800s. I have friends who just last week moved into a gorgeous old home built in 1909 right across from the Chinese garden. And unlike some old neighborhoods, Fountain City never really went downhill (my friends' home still has the original glass doorknobs and ceramic fireplaces), and there are plenty of sturdy old homes with gorgeous gardens, full-grown trees, and a ton of neighborhood pride.

I have other friends in Fountain City whose neighbors routinely get together for impromptu block parties. The older homes are built with big front porches which encourage neighbors to get out of the house and visit each other.

There's a ton of pride among those who live in Fountain City. Many will say they live in Fountain City, not Knoxville.

Fountain City Lake (the "Duck Pond") and Park:

"Downtown" Fountain City:

Random Fountain City scenes:

Old 05-07-2009, 04:15 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,303 times
We currently rent a condo in Fountain City and we love it. We're trying to find a house to buy in the area because we don't want to leave the area. Even though it is in the big city of Knoxville, Fountain City has a small town feel that I love.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:47 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
If you want cookie-cutter, gated or both, with miles of strip-malls, go to West Knoxville. If you want to experience a "real" part of Knoxville, move to Fountain City. I had had enough of the former in Florida.

I live in a 1950s-era ranch near Sterchi Elementary. Fabulous school.

I guess West Knoxville is the place to be for many people, but not for me.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 AM

458 posts, read 1,271,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If you want cookie-cutter, gated or both, with miles of strip-malls, go to West Knoxville. If you want to experience a "real" part of Knoxville, move to Fountain City. I had had enough of the former in Florida.

I live in a 1950s-era ranch near Sterchi Elementary. Fabulous school.

I guess West Knoxville is the place to be for many people, but not for me.
Amen to that, sister!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: