Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 07:20 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,510,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAlton View Post
It is said, build it and they will come. Well, Publix did and so did Knoxville. The turnout for today's Grand Opening was unbelievable. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come and the start of a beautiful relationship.

Thanks Knoxville! YOU ROCK!
How far south of I-40 is the new Publix...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM

110 posts, read 213,335 times
The new Publix is located at Northshore Town Center, off Northshore Drive. If you take Pellissippi Parkway/I-140 heading towards Maryville from I40/I75, it's 6 miles to the Northshore Exit. The Northshore Town Center is located directly off the exit ramp so you DEF cannot miss it!

Hope that helps!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
We celebrated our cross-country journey and final arrival in Tennessee yesterday with Subs & sweet tea/lemonade from Publix yesterday! It def reminded us of being back home :-)

Just be prepared to have one on the main roads every three miles. They will partner with a Target or other retail store and build mass infrastructure to overwhelm the competition.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Went over there today. It was a madhouse. Lots of folks standing in line for a sub, a lot of them use to live in Florida. The guy in front of me drove 40 minutes to get one, he use to live in Fort Lauderdale. The young man that brought out my groceries was from Miami. It's a nice store but it was tough to see a lot of it. I looked for Robert but it was so hard to get near anyone. I'll be back at another time. It's great to have that fabulous customer service! One of the managers said that there will be 5 Publix's in Knoxville in two years!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Went over there today. It was a madhouse. Lots of folks standing in line for a sub, a lot of them use to live in Florida. The guy in front of me drove 40 minutes to get one, he use to live in Fort Lauderdale. The young man that brought out my groceries was from Miami. It's a nice store but it was tough to see a lot of it. I looked for Robert but it was so hard to get near anyone. I'll be back at another time. It's great to have that fabulous customer service! One of the managers said that there will be 5 Publix's in Knoxville in two years!
I've already been three times! Each time, it was sort of like being around a bunch of hill people who had never been in a supermarket before. By that I mean I'd never seen so many people just wandering around a grocery store gawking, pointing, and staring at things. It was pretty funny. And through it all, the Publix employees remained supremely friendly and helpful. I don't know how many Krogers and Food Cities I had to drive by to get to this one Publix, but I'll keep doing it. There are great buy-one-get-one-free sales at Publix, and it's nice to be able to get them without having to produce one of those obnoxious loyalty cards.

I'm curious where the additional Publix locations are going to be. I know they've already announced three: the one that just opened, the one in Turkey Creek, and the one by campus. I sure hope at least one of the other two will be in Fountain City/Halls.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 AM

394 posts, read 794,189 times
Well I just got back from my first visit to a Publix. Didn't have a big buy list, but I was really going to see what all the talk is about. Figured Sunday at opening would be the best time. The partyers are still in bed sleeping it off and the churchgoers are getting ready for church.

Impressions:

The store seemed way overstaffed for an early Sunday AM. Nice, but all those people standing at parade rest in front of the registers cost money. This will probably change with time.

Very nice people, not that I've found staff at other markets cold or unfriendly.

Variety is comparable to other markets. My wife is extremely happy they carry her favorite variety of salad dressing that no other market carries here.

Prices were higher on some of my regular items, lower on others or comparable. I found a few really good deals on my staples so I got them even though not needed right now.

My bottom line:

Publix probably won't be my regular market due to distance and no significant price/variety advantage. I will be going back to see how things are once the grand opening hoopla has died down.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Publix brings in managers and workers from all over to work the week or so of a grand opening. Kroger just opened a Marketplace in Cedar Bluff and brought in staff from all over, too. It's common. When I went, every one of those workers was busy! And as I said before, there will be five Publix grocery stores in two years so maybe one will be closer to you, Dave. Personally, I appreciate the added staff. They were very helpful and sorely needed during the busy times.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,819,681 times
5 Publix's! Anyone know where the latter 2 will be?

Old 08-05-2012, 06:06 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Publix brings in managers and workers from all over to work the week or so of a grand opening. Kroger just opened a Marketplace in Cedar Bluff and brought in staff from all over, too. It's common. When I went, every one of those workers was busy! And as I said before, there will be five Publix grocery stores in two years so maybe one will be closer to you, Dave. Personally, I appreciate the added staff. They were very helpful and sorely needed during the busy times.
Agreed. (I'd rep you again but I have to spread the love around some more first.) Publix is used to the swarms of people who mob their stores when they enter a new city, so they came prepared. I'm confident that later today all of those extra personnel weren't just standing at parade.

For me, I don't go to Publix looking for bargains. Oh, Publix does have good buy-one-get-one-free sales on things I need every once in a while. But I go to Publix because:

1) Publix has pretty much all of the higher-end, gourmet foods that I used to get at Fresh Market, but cheaper. And they have a lot of things that no one else around here carries.
2) Publix store-brand goods are of exceptional quality. I'd stack their store-brand ice cream against premium ice cream any day of the week. And don't get me started on their store-brand key lime pie!
3) Publix stores are always spotless. I don't care if it's a brand new store or one that's been open for 20 years, they're immaculate. I like buying my food in a place that looks like it's well scrubbed every night.
4) Publix doesn't have loyalty cards. Anyone can walk in off the street and get the special sales prices without having to give the store their personal information.
5) Publix employees are the best. I've never met a sour one among them.

Now if only Publix will reveal where their other 2 Knoxville locations will be...

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-06-2012, 12:16 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,623 times
I could see one or both on or near Kingston Pike. But I bet the two of five stores would be in Blount and Sevier counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville