Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times

Advertisements

We are still looking at Tennessee and are wondering if anyone has info about Tellico Village east of Louden, and The Villages at Norris Lake which is close to LaFollette. I have done extensive research on each area on the Internet, but first-hand opinion is always better in my opinion.

Appreciate any information,

Thanks

Roger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 10:14 AM

105 posts, read 270,726 times
See this thread for my opinion on the Lafollote area:
La Follette;Jacksboro;Caryville Info Sources?

I've only been to the Tellico area once, and that was when I got lost. The locals didn't seem particularly slack-jawed. It seemed like a nice rural area, though I didn't see much evidence of an economy. It's real close to Cherokee National Forest. Even knowing as little as I do about it, I would definately choose Tellico over Lafollote. Tellico can't be that bad.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:07 PM

8 posts, read 81,457 times
My in-laws moved to Tellico Village last year and say they love it. They were particularly struck by the friendliness of the people in the area. If we weren't looking at the Girls Prep School in Chattanooga for our daughter, we'd probably be looking there for a home. Is there anything in particular you'd like for me to ask my in-laws about the area?

Old 07-13-2006, 02:38 PM

For us it's suitablility for retirement. A good library within a decent distance. Good meaning large enough to have more sections than fiction, non-fiction, and childrens (Crossville). Restaurants, access to plays, symphonies, arts, etc without having to drive an hour. Good shopping, intelligent liquor laws (can I actually buy the makings for a margarita closer than 30 miles away?), friendly people, good medical, low crime rate, etc.

In other words, all the usual stuff.

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:25 PM

8 posts, read 81,457 times
Haven't forgotten about you, Roger. I sent an e-mail to my relatives, but they haven't responded. I can tell you they're retired, love to read and enjoy a good martini. They also travel a lot, so I can't tell you where they're getting the books or the booze. I'll let you know when (if) they respond. Kathryn

Old 07-17-2006, 08:35 PM

Default Thanks

Appreciate the update

Old 09-16-2006, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 11,822 times
Tek_Freek --- I live on Norris Lake and am also familiar with Tellico Village. Both are a good hour from down-town Knoxville, and the concerts you mentioned. The Villages at Norris Lake are brand new, at the site of the former Rainbow Marina. You are a long way from civilization, things such as "good" grocery stores, "good" restaurants. LaFollette just recently got approval to allow restaurants to serve liquor; hopefully Ruby Tuesday's or others will now come in. Tellico Village is very built up, which can give a "busy" appearance, but there are lots of amenities. Neither Tellico nor LaFollette has a good, modern theatre; you have to go to Knoxville or Oak Ridge. Now there is a real drawback in living in the LaFollette area: you can't get any craftsmen to come out and to any thing on your house, grounds, etc. It is all just the locals, who work only when they are not busy fishing or hunting. They will say they will come out, and never show up, nor never call. Lafolette is way too far from any big city to get any contractors to come up here. No good golf courses anywhere near LaFollette; several good ones near Tellico. Norris Lake is very clean, far cleaner than Tellico, but there is no lock around the dam. On Tellico, you can get all the way to New Orleans if you wish. IMHO, I would choose Tellico over Norris any day, unless your all-consuming passion is fishing; then, Norris Lake wins, hands down!

Old 09-16-2006, 05:29 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Looks like our biggest concern would be distance. Yard work is not a problem, and I can fix or build pretty much anything, including a house.

As an example, we took a bus tour to Chicago last week to see the Tut exhibit, take an architectural tour of downtown from the river, and see Wicked. We were scheduled to leave early Monday and discovered about 5:00p Sunday that we had water in the basement. Had terrific amounts of rain all day and the sump pump decided to die. We had the new one in and running in less than an hour, including two trips to Menards/Lowes. This is the distance problem. We live within 5 minutes of a Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot in addition to every conceivable kind of store and restaurant you could ever want. That change is going to be the culture shock for us.

I did notice that the distance from Tellico to the west end of Knoxville where that big new mall is being (finished) built is not too bad. For the number of times we go to the theater, etc. it would end up being a "special" trip.

We are planning on taking up Eric Estrada (sp?) on his offer next spring and let them fly us down to Tellico and take the tour. Instead of flying back at the end we're going to rent a car and go up to Norris Lake, then use some of our airline miles to fly home. This will also give us some time to look at Knoxville more closely.

Again, thanks. If you think of any other areas close to Knoxville we'd appreciate knowing about them, too.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:03 PM

21 posts, read 199,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Looks like our biggest concern would be distance. Yard work is not a problem, and I can fix or build pretty much anything, including a house.

As an example, we took a bus tour to Chicago last week to see the Tut exhibit, take an architectural tour of downtown from the river, and see Wicked. We were scheduled to leave early Monday and discovered about 5:00p Sunday that we had water in the basement. Had terrific amounts of rain all day and the sump pump decided to die. We had the new one in and running in less than an hour, including two trips to Menards/Lowes. This is the distance problem. We live within 5 minutes of a Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot in addition to every conceivable kind of store and restaurant you could ever want. That change is going to be the culture shock for us.

I really don't mean to be rude, but if these things are so important to you, why do you want to move away from them. Those things are basically meaningless to me, but if I want to see those things, I can go on a weekend. Maybe you should reconsider moving.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:54 AM

950 posts, read 3,192,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

I did notice that the distance from Tellico to the west end of Knoxville where that big new mall is being (finished) built is not too bad. For the number of times we go to the theater, etc. it would end up being a "special" trip.

We are planning on taking up Eric Estrada (sp?) on his offer next spring and let them fly us down to Tellico and take the tour. Instead of flying back at the end we're going to rent a car and go up to Norris Lake, then use some of our airline miles to fly home. This will also give us some time to look at Knoxville more closely.

Again, thanks. If you think of any other areas close to Knoxville we'd appreciate knowing about them, too.
Where would that new mall be located? Unless you are speaking of the Colonial Pinnacle at Turkey Creek shopping center?

Erik Estrada? The company that runs Tellico Village pays him well to talk about Tellico Village and other company-run properties around the United States. Estrada doesn't reside in Tennessee. I wouldn't call them to take the offer to fly us to anywhere.

As for the shopping choices, you would need to drive further to Loudon (city), Le Noir City, Maryville/Alcoa, Madisonville, Farragut/western Knoxville, Oak Ridge, etc. There aren't many stores to choose unless if you are in Maryville/Alcoa, Farragut/western Knoxville and Oak Ridge.
I would advise for those wanting to live in the Village to pay attention to what the Loudon County government is wanting/trying to do that would affect growth in the Village and elsewhere in the county. My second cousin, Doyle Arp recently was elected as a mayor of Loudon County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville