Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 06:24 PM

204 posts, read 580,755 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the local high school bands have any marching competitions or performances? I would like to see it and also would like my grandson to see the performances as he is interested in playing musical instruments.

I went to a high school game tonight but since it was a rain delayed game from Friday there was not any band or colorgaurd or dance group. They played the national anthem over a loud speaker but there wasn't even a flag to salute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 06:57 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times
I'd enjoy that also.

POWELL HS PANTHER BAND: RICHARD SHAW DIRECTOR, KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
Halls High School Band - Knoxville, Tennessee - Eric Baumgardner, Ashley Waller, Tiffany Kimbro - Directors. Marching Band, Concert Band, Jazz Band, Winter Guard, Indoor Drumline (http://www.discoveret.org/hhsband/march.htm - broken link)
Youth Education in the Arts: 09 Full USSBA Schedule
(I don't see Knoxville but there's some nearby)
Tennessee Valley Showcase Marching Band Competition, Kingsport, Tennessee
Sevier County HS has a drum corp competition each fall.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn405 View Post
Does anyone know if the local high school bands have any marching competitions or performances? I would like to see it and also would like my grandson to see the performances as he is interested in playing musical instruments.

I went to a high school game tonight but since it was a rain delayed game from Friday there was not any band or colorgaurd or dance group. They played the national anthem over a loud speaker but there wasn't even a flag to salute.
Sorry about that. We saw the Bearden Band half time show when they played Maryville a couple of weeks ago and they were quite good! We all applauded them quite strongly and they deserved it.

There are all sorts of band competitions in the region. Call any band director and I am sure that they can help. Maryville has a killer band and if you get a chance to see the Dobyns-Bennett Band out of Kingsport do so. It is a real treat!

Old 10-10-2009, 08:03 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
There's a big marching band competition somewhere around here today. I have friends with kids in the marching bands at Gibbs and Central and both have been at a competition all day today. As Beretta said, a call to any HS band director will give you the info you need.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:52 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
This is one thing I have noticed since moving to TN.....band competitions are almost as big as the football competitions in schools all over this region! It might take you a few phone calls, or conversations in your local grocery store, to find out which schools closest to you have the bands to go hear, but I don't think it will take to long and will be worth it.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:31 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
Take him to a rehearsal for UT's band, Pride of the Southland. They were in the inaugural parade.
UT Knoxville | Blue One Column
And the Knoxville Symphony has a youth orchestra that gives concerts.
Knoxville Symphony Orchestra
I saw a band competition on the local access channel the other night. Not sure when or where it was.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:27 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Just saw this this morning. If you want to see a whole lot of high school bands, some of the best of the south, all in one place and a full day of marching bands, check this out.
Dobyns-Bennett Band - Tennessee Valley Showcase (http://www.dbband.org/?BISKIT=1173247195&CONTEXT=cat&cat=10059 - broken link)
It is this Saturday in Kingsport, not sure if you want to drive to the Tri-Cities but this is a HUGE high school band event and is quite a show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville