Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 04:07 PM

18 posts, read 108,350 times

Advertisements

HI,
I am from Michigan and have lived 30 years in Florida. Have had enough. I considered moving back to Michigan to the SW section of the state that is rural farm land. I have friends there that are begging me to move there. I am from outside Detroit and if anyone knows that area, I don't think I need to expound on the depression going on there. Old, rusty, falling down, crime, but most of all high unemployment. Huge budget deficits for the State which equate to loss of services and jobs.
I am thinking of making a change in life style and becoming more imvolved in organic gardening, herbalist, getting into the artsy scene. More of an ex hippie / flower child mentality but without all the mind altering substances of the 1960's. I have been grinding here for years and am getting burned out in a big way. Hurricanes don't thrill me and we had 3 direct hits in this little town in the past few years. Plus drought, crazy traffic, uncontrolled building boom, sky high rentals, taxes and insurance, Enough already!!
I do have a elementary age child and I am a teacher at Head Start. I LOVE living in the country and do not mind not having neighbors. Now, I am considering the economy of Michigan and that it is getting ready to crash. Plus the winters are quite brutal from December through March then you get at least one good month of rain. I am thinking that is a little too much for me. Can't chance the job picture with a little kid. SO am considering a move to TN--I know someone in Knoxville that would let me use there place as a starting point to find work, rental home, etc. My questions today are, 1. Can anyone suggest an area that is rural but NOT totally isolated near Knoxville? 2. What are the average price of an older rental home ( not a mobile but brick or frame built)? 3. Has anyone seen any log homes for rent? 4. Anyone know about Head Start in Knox County?
I realize this is a long post, but I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone "in the know".
Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 06:45 PM

7 posts, read 17,632 times
Lightbulb Greeneville, TN

Would you consider Greeneville, TN? We are approximately 75 miles from Knoxville. Greeneville is much more rural than K'ville. The crime rate is lower. Historic Greeneville is a great small town to raise children with parks, churches of any denomination, two hospitals, shopping, the mountains, rivers, and good schools. Would love to hear from you.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 AM

18 posts, read 108,350 times
Thank you for your response. I am open to all and any suggestions. I appreciate any feedback I get as the more information I have, the better my decision will be ( I hope ! ) . Still I am curious, 1. What is the average price of an older rental home ( not a mobile but brick or frame built)? 2. Has anyone seen any log homes for rent? 3. Anyone know about Head Start in Knox County or can someone give me more information about the Head Start Program in TN? I have been teaching for them for 4 years.

Thanks again !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville