Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,435 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how many if anyone has had any dealings w/ these so called "Sliding Scale health organizations" I've applied at both Interfaith and KAPA, they have to know the last time u had a BM and everything else about you and your finances etc. (Very invasive). I've lived all over the S.E. and never had any problem getting health care on a "SLIDING SCALE CONCEPT". I'm afraid they don't know what this means here, I'm under the understanding what you pay the provider depends on what you make. Am I nuts or what. The places they have set up here in the Knoxville area are sooo unorganized and inept. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 03:40 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I've lived in Mass and Florida. Never had any experiences with sliding-fee scale for services. You either had insurance, paid out-of-pocket, or you suffered and possibly died.

I tried to pay, most of the time, in Florida. Couldn't get a correct diagnosis. I went to lots of doctors down there. This was over a ten-year period.

We moved to Knoxville. I heard about the Inter-Faith Clinic. My husband was working and I was not. They wanted a few pay stubs and social security cards. No BMs.

Based on that, we paid 40 percent.

They correctly diagnosed me. Immediately.

Who knows what would have happened without them.

That place is run by volunteers. Doctors and nurses just show up and help out. They do it for FREE. I asked the doctor why it was like that in TN. Why couldn't I get care like that in the other states?

Do you know what her answer was?

"Because this is the Volunteer state."

True story.

When someone offers me a 40 percent discount to save my life I am very grateful. No one owes me anything.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 AM

Oh. I just noticed my error. We received a 60 percent discount.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,435 times
Hi, glad to hear you had good luck may I ask if you or your husband are self employed? This is where the problem is i think. Also I'm from Mendon MA not far from Uxbridge and Southbridge moved to Sarasota FL in 1984, moved here 2003 rather be back in FL love the beach thanks for your input Linnea

Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 PM

We were not self-employed at the time that we went to the clinic. My husband had a regular job. Now, I am self-employed but we just go to our regular doctor and he gives us a hefty discount. I only used the clinic because I didn't know anyone. If you are an established patient, the doctors around here will often work with you. In Florida, most doctors wouldn't take you without insurance, even if you offered to pay in cash. That's what happened to me, anyway.

I've never been to Uxbridge and Mendon is about one hour away from Southbridge.

I lived in Fort Myers for 10 years. I have heard that Sarasota is a bit better but I will never go back to Florida. You are more than welcome to have it.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 PM

592 posts, read 2,134,082 times
I'd be interested in how that works...because as far as I know, docs are not allowed to charge cash customers any less than they bill Medicare for service.

I've actually been researching cash only practices a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: