Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 07:50 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times

Advertisements

I figured that since Kittie of Domination had so much great info on the Knoxville area and the roll that southeastern Tennessee played in the Civil War that a new thread would help to get it rolling.

So, if anyone has information or even a story to tell about your families part in the war, I and (many others) would love to hear them.

And Yes, Kittie of Domination I will look you up and take you up on your offer to see the places that you describe to me on the other thread, the first chance I get to vacation in your neck of the woods, thanks .

And please , No dang Yankee Jokes.
That was a little joke in its self. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 AM

745 posts, read 1,719,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I figured that since Kittie of Domination had so much great info on the Knoxville area and the roll that southeastern Tennessee played in the Civil War that a new thread would help to get it rolling.

So, if anyone has information or even a story to tell about your families part in the war, I and (many others) would love to hear them.

And Yes, Kittie of Domination I will look you up and take you up on your offer to see the places that you describe to me on the other thread, the first chance I get to vacation in your neck of the woods, thanks .

And please , No dang Yankee Jokes.
That was a little joke in its self. LOL
Southeastern Tennessee? Actually East Tennessee, 34 counties including s.e. Tennessee, was an area that was anti-secession for the most part, not Southeastern Tennessee by itself. I did a research paper on this in college, in a journalism course. The entire history is pretty fascinating. In fact, if I recall correctly from memory, James Quillen, former First Congressional District Congressman and state representative as well, introduced a resolution or bill for East Tennessee secession, from the state, as recently as 1959. There remains to this day, three states of Tennessee, figuratively speaking, and that is represented by the state flag's three stars, the three stars representing the three "grand divisions." The cultural and political differences in the three divisions were manifested during the Civil War, especially during state votes in the legislature on whether to secede from the country. The heavy East Tennessee vote (voting was by grand divisions) for not seceding was large enough to keep the state in the Union until a second vote was taken and the resulting Middle and West Tennessee combined vote total was large enough to overcome the E.T. vote to stay in the Union. Secession from the U.S. then followed. Long and interesting story(s).

Last edited by weisgarber1; 01-18-2010 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-18-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Southeastern Tennessee? Actually East Tennessee, 34 counties including s.e. Tennessee, was an area that was anti-secession for the most part, not Southeastern Tennessee by itself. I did a research paper on this in college, in a journalism course. The entire history is pretty fascinating. In fact, if I recall correctly from memory, James Quillen, former First Congressional District Congressman and state representative as well, introduced a resolution or bill for East Tennessee secession, from the state, as recently as 1959. There remains to this day, three states of Tennessee, figuratively speaking, and that is represented by the state flag's three stars, the three stars representing the three "grand divisions." The cultural and political differences in the three divisions were manifested during the Civil War, especially during state votes in the legislature on whether to secede from the country. The heavy East Tennessee vote (voting was by grand divisions) for not seceding was large enough to keep the state in the Union until a second vote was taken and the resulting Middle and West Tennessee combined vote total was large enough to overcome the E.T. vote to stay in the Union. Secession from the U.S. then followed. Long and interesting story(s).
Thanks for the history lesson, do you have anymore where that came from?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Thanks for the history lesson, do you have anymore where that came from?
No, not from memory, but you might check the net for professor Eric Lacy at East Tennessee State University. He is retired now but there might be some info of his on the net. I used some info he provided for research. He was very knowledgeable about state history.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I am fascinated by the history of Cade's Cove during the Civil War. The area was split by their loyalties but mostly sided with the Union. But they were surrounded by hostile territory because their neighbors were pro-South. Confederate troops would harass the people of the cove.

I found this today. It is fascinating.

the Civil War and the Cove

Old 01-18-2010, 04:16 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,218 times
Tennessee cares a lot about it's history, before and after the Civil War.
There are excellent resources at the East Tennessee History Museum in downtown Knoxville.
East Tennessee Historical Society | Main Page
Online, the state has a wonderful collection of archives, stories, news, etc.
History - TN.gov
My mother was born and raised in Crossville, TN, and her family came over the mountains from North Carolina with the early settlers. She had great uncles who served on both sides in the War and one who died in Andersonville prison in Georgia. Her grandmother married a Union Veteran and was on the rolls for getting his pension after he died.
I try to dig out genealogical information now and then. I've got some letters and photos that my mother had when she was interested in it. I keep meaning to go to Crossville and do some more research. I've got a photo of an uncle standing in front of his barbershop in Crossville holding a bear cub. I'd love to find out more about it.
Her family left Crossville in the 1930s and she never went back. I heard a lot about it growing up, though.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:43 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,781,047 times
Yes, Tennessee was part of the second wave of succession, along with North Carolina, Arkansas, and Virginia. These states maintained a larger pro-Union sentiment (but not abolitionist) stance and held out with hopes of a compromise. There is a common misconception that southern Unionists were abolitionists; this was usually not the case. Andrew Johnson, Lincoln's vice-president, was a large plantation owner in the Tri-cities area. Abolitionist sentiments were strong within the Quaker communities (or Friends), which were once a sizable population in Blount Co. (hence the name Friendsville) and were very active in the East Tn portion of the Underground Railroad. Knoxville itself had a stronger pro-Confederate stance than the surrounding counties, especially mountainous ones to the north and east, due to vested interests from the railroads. Also, Knox Co. had the largest population of slaves in east TN outside of the Chattanooga area to the south and these wealthy plantation families held much of the power in Knoxville. Even so, Knoxville was also becoming the headquarters of underground Unionist sentiment in the south under guidance of a man named Brownlow. So, as Confederate troops entered Knoxville, much to the pleasure of the elite Mabrys, Lyons, Ramseys, etc. (any of those names sound familiar?), the enemy was already inside, so to speak.
East TN was crucial for the Confederacy to maintain railroad transportation and supply lines between Virginia and the Deep South. Unfortunately, Unionists lost no time in recruiting people for guerrilla tactics on railroad bridges. Knoxville eventually fell quite easily in less than 2(?) years to Union forces, who quickly fortified the city and held it thereafter.

Interesting story: The Baker-Peters House off Kingston Pike, now home to a jazz club, was once the home of plantation owner and doctor. The owner was pro-Confederate and used his services to aid wounded soldiers fleeing from Knoxville. When the Union arrived at the home and discovered the doctor's actions, he was gunned down. At one time, the bullet holes were still visible upstairs. The previous restaurant owners claimed that "odd things" occurred in the home (shadows, things falling in unnatural ways); I would be curious if the current owners still have those strange occurrences...

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-20-2010 at 06:42 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 PM

623 posts, read 1,543,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Interesting story: The Baker-Peters House off Kingston Pike, now home to a jazz club, was once the home of plantation owner and doctor. The owner was pro-Confederate and used his services to aid wounded soldiers fleeing from Knoxville. When the Union arrived at the home and discovered the doctor's actions, he was gunned down. At one time, the bullet holes were still visible upstairs. The previous restaurant owners claimed that "odd things" occurred in the home (shadows, things falling in unnatural ways); I would be curious if the current owners still have those strange occurrences...
Not relating to that story, but the so-called "oldest tree in Knoxville" was cut down in front of that house probably 17 or so years ago for that important, much needed gas station beside Baker-Peters. Not enough gas stations on Kingston Pike after all. I believe they placed a plaque or tombstone where it was located.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
You might look up "Civil war Roundtable" for a group that is active in the area.

The Fort Higley property was purchased last year by the Aslan Foundation and Armstrong's hill was purchased by the Legacy Parks Foundation just a couple of weeks ago. The next goal of LPF is Fort Stanley. That's a big ole hint for anyone who's feeling philanthropic.

Fort Dickerson has been a city park for quite some time and the roundtable shoots off cannons there once a year.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
You might look up "Civil war Roundtable" for a group that is active in the area.

The Fort Higley property was purchased last year by the Aslan Foundation and Armstrong's hill was purchased by the Legacy Parks Foundation just a couple of weeks ago. The next goal of LPF is Fort Stanley. That's a big ole hint for anyone who's feeling philanthropic.

Fort Dickerson has been a city park for quite some time and the roundtable shoots off cannons there once a year.
What? Do they have a reenactment of some sort there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville