Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 02:12 PM

6 posts, read 6,824 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am contemplating a move to Knoxville, TN from Central NH. I have visited the area (Chattanooga) and really liked it there. I have lived in several states in the south and enjoyed the people and culture. I enjoy hiking, hunting, fishing, and pretty much any other outdoor activities. I have a BSME from the University of New Hampshrie with no previous experience. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for employment for someone with a degree in Mechanical Engineering? What part of Knoxville would be best for a single 24 year old male? What shoudl I expect and what kind of pay is average? I come from the northeast where the cost of living is high and the pay is higher as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
I'm from Massachusetts. I can't answer all of your questions but I can tell you that generally, pay is lower here but our cost of living is much lower. The weather is wonderful, compared to New England. I love New Hampshire and this area reminds me of there. And I know that it sounds like a cop out but we have lots and lots of wonderful areas to live in Knoxville.

I lived in Mass for 34 years, lived in Florida for awhile and we are going into our fifth year in Knoxville. I love it.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:45 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,783,637 times
Knoxville is an engineering city, between TVA and Oak Ridge. I would check into Oak Ridge. I have read that they have been hiring recently.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:42 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,609,144 times
There's a good chance you'll wind up in Oak Ridge, but there are several industrial parks on the outskirts of Knox county and one centrally located in Bearden. Or would you be more likely to work for a consultant in an office environment?

My advice is to rent somewhere centrally located and around young folks the for at least the first year and then look in the direction of your job when you are ready to buy.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 AM

469 posts, read 1,176,282 times
I am 23 and recently moved to knoxville. I bought a house in the parkridge neighborhood. It is an up and coming area with many young professionals in their first home. It is a little gritty on certain blocks but that is a good tradeoff to avoid auto addiction and lack of community in sprawling west knox

Old 12-28-2010, 01:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
Parkridge is a great place for an investor. Maybe. Right now it is a gamble. And it certainly isn't for someone that will end up in Oak Ridge.

Calvin, City-Data is a very popular forum. It's in the top 100. But pulling up old threads, sometimes from years ago, and touting your neighborhood - one that many may call unsafe - won't get you a penny more of equity.

I know you just moved here and you may think that we don't offer many safe neighborhoods. That truth is that we do. In all kinds of price ranges. Knoxville is a wonderful city. Go out and explore it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville