Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,052 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how the commute is from Fountain City to Oak Ridge? I found a house I like around Cedar Lane NE and E Inskip Rd.

Is this a decent area? I understand there are "pockets" of good areas and "pockets" of bad areas.

I understand it is a distance from Oak Ridge, but we will also need to be close to UT. Plus, it is a nice house actually in our price range. I just don't want to get a house and a year later regret having to make the hike to Oak Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 PM

424 posts, read 1,293,744 times
Well, Inskip Elementary recently had a school shooting but that is nothing you should consider since it is a random isolated incident. I would however, pull a crime report with the Knoxville Sherriff's department or the city police that will show you the last full year's police reports in vicinity of the street you are interested in. It's only 25 bucks.

Hike to Oak Ridge will range from 35 minutes to 50 minutes depending on traffic.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
How often will you be going to UT? Enough to make it worth it? A FC-Oak Ridge commute is not something I'd want to deal with every day.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:23 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,908 times
No, We wouldn't want that commute on a daily basis.
Pam

Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
Well, Inskip Elementary recently had a school shooting but that is nothing you should consider since it is a random isolated incident. I would however, pull a crime report with the Knoxville Sherriff's department or the city police that will show you the last full year's police reports in vicinity of the street you are interested in. It's only 25 bucks.

Hike to Oak Ridge will range from 35 minutes to 50 minutes depending on traffic.
50 minutes?! In 50 minutes you can be in Gatlinburg.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:24 AM

66 posts, read 179,441 times
I think 50 minutes is a little high.

I'd call it 25-35 minutes

Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
It really depends on the time of day. It's taken me 35 minutes to get to Karns from Oak Ridge in the 4:00 - 5:00 pm drive time.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
It depends, Orange Lilly.

I live in that exact area, but NORTH of Cedar Lane, and it is gorgeous.

To get to the center of Oak Ridge from my house only takes 35 minutes. The good thing is that this area is very close to I-75.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:12 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It depends, Orange Lilly.

I live in that exact area, but NORTH of Cedar Lane, and it is gorgeous.

To get to the center of Oak Ridge from my house only takes 35 minutes. The good thing is that this area is very close to I-75.
I was going to say the same thing. It is a nice area. There are a few large apartment complexes on Cedar Lane that I wouldn't want to live next to, but it's still a nice part of town that is often overlooked because it's not as flashy or trendy as West Knoxville.

And 50 minutes to Oak Ridge? I guess if someone were to take Western Ave/Oak Ridge Hwy it would take that long. But sticking to the freeways (I-75/I-640/I-40/Pellissippi Pkwy) makes it a pretty easy 30-35 minutes. And getting to U.T. from Inskip would take probably no more than 15 minutes, probably closer to 10 minutes.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 PM

62 posts, read 189,778 times
Cute area...very affordable and a good value for your money with its proximity to shopping, interstates, etc.

I went to Inskip Elementary when I was younger, and I thought the teachers were excellent. Some of those teachers are still there now. The principal that got shot was excellent--I know that she received an award for her hand's on approach and the progress she was making there. The shooting there was an isolated incident.

I just sold a house a few blocks from there on North Laurel Circle...my buyers have 2 elementary aged boys, and they really like the area. They visited the school and felt quite comfortable there.

I personally wouldn't want to have a 30-35 minute drive to work. It you are going to be in Oak Ridge half the time and UT half the time, then it would be okay. But if you'll be in Oak Ridge 60% or more of the time, I'd probably try something a little further out west...not far west...just something closer to Oak Ridge.

The price point you find in Fountain City will be hard to beat though...really affordable prices in that area. I grew up there and think the world of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville