Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:58 AM

179 posts, read 547,894 times

Advertisements

Hello Beautiful People I'm looking to move to Knoxville with my new hubby and am interested in knowing the difference between Knoxville and West Knoxville. Is one a better area, or more shopping/restaurants? I have been to Kville in general several times as I have family there and in Oak Ridge but am now looking to actually move there so I would love to get the scoop better.

We want to get an apartment for the time being, can anyone recommend any of these: Papermill Square, Tiffany Square, Woodlands West, Steeplechase?

(Looking for 1BR or 2BR, under $650 with easy access to shopping/restaurants/etc.) Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 12:33 PM

Come on people, 60 views and no posts? :-) Help me out :-)

Old 05-23-2010, 02:13 PM

207 posts, read 643,007 times
Knoxville has grown almost exclusively west over the past couple of decades. It's hard for me to tell anymore what West Knoxville really means -- it could mean anything from just west of UT (Sequoyah Hills, Bearden) all the way out to Farragut.

It's easier to clarify looking at a map. Search for Knoxville, TN on maps.google.com. The portion labeled Knoxville is downtown, around the 275 / 40 junction. Note that 640 was originally meant to bypass Knoxville, so you can see what was considered Knoxville when it was built.

Kingston Pike and 40 run roughly parallel and are the major thoroughfares. The portion west of downtown and east of the 640 / 40 merger is roughly what was considered West Knoxville in the past (with most neighborhoods connected to Kingston Pike). West Knoxville kept moving west and now basically goes to the Pellissippi Parkway (i.e., 140 or 162). You will probably have to zoom out a couple of times to even see that. As you can see, by distance, West Knoxville is much bigger than Knoxville proper.

In general, the more affluent areas (with better schools, more shopping, low crime) are consistent with whatever happens to be the western frontier of expansion at the time. Farragut is very affluent and West Knoxville is basically merging into Farragut. There are still many affluent neighborhoods closer to downtown though, with Sequoyah Hills being one example.

The current shopping rage is Turkey Creek near Lovell Rd in (extreme) West Knoxville. However, there are restaurants and shopping pretty much along the entire Kingston Pike corridor from Farragut to downtown Knoxville. You can see West Town Mall on Kingston Pike about halfway between Farragut and downtown, for example.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,019 times
Hey Pearl, congrats on your new marriage and sorry, been busy and just now saw your post. All the places you listed, are about equal and you would just need to visit to see which appeals to you the most. As the one poster stated, West Knoxville starts somewhere around the Papermill area, and plenty of food choices all over. Turkey Creek is the newest and flooded with shoppers. Good luck and anywhere you choose, will be just fine.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:00 PM

187 posts, read 460,210 times
650 a month can get you pretty much anywhere in Knox including West Knox...If you have to be near shopping and resturants then West Knox is it pretty much between West Town,Turkey Creek and the Shops at Deane Hill...Steeplechase isn't worth looking at trust me...They may look nice,But the people that stay there can be shady and sketchy at best...(example..An ex UT basketball player and a few other people got caught selling drugs and robbing people there awhile back.....I'd look into Sunchase off Cedar Bluff...There pretty nice with alot of outdoor and indoor amenties,Like an indoor pool,outdoors sand volleyball court,etc...All within 10-15 mins of both West town and Turkey Creek...You should be able to get a 2 br there for around 600...1 br i know you can

Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,315 times
Think of Knoxville like this: Parallel to 40-it starts out with Farragut, Turkey Creek, Cedar Bluff (I think of this as the TRUE West Knoxville). Then Gallagher View, West Town area is Downtown West area (I know this is confusing), then Papermill, UT Campus, and then Downtown area (starts East Knoxville....
Be careful what apartments you select off Gleason Rd , there are little pockets of "shady" areas there. I would go by and actually check for barb-wire and in general the feeling of the complex before you choose...

I agree, Sunchase off Cedar Bluff is nice...

Old 05-24-2010, 09:28 AM

Just checked out Sunchase on rent.com, it looks great! If anyone has any other recommendations, please let me know! :-)

Old 05-24-2010, 05:42 PM

207 posts, read 643,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
Be careful what apartments you select off Gleason Rd , there are little pockets of "shady" areas there.
Where are the shady parts off of Gleason Rd? I had always thought that was a nice area, although I only ever drove by.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
Hey Pearl, congrats on your new marriage and sorry, been busy and just now saw your post. All the places you listed, are about equal and you would just need to visit to see which appeals to you the most. As the one poster stated, West Knoxville starts somewhere around the Papermill area, and plenty of food choices all over. Turkey Creek is the newest and flooded with shoppers. Good luck and anywhere you choose, will be just fine.
Thank you, just got my marriage certificate in the mail today! (Got married in St. Thomas, USVI)

Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 PM

Also, does anyone know if there is a company like ZipCar in Kville? I know that ZipCar is in Nashville - it's a company that is like a mutual share ride type of thing where you can rent a car for a couple of hours; designed to be used for people that live mostly car free.

Also, is Kville a good city to live car free in? If so, where is the best place to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville