Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:09 PM

13 posts, read 29,754 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and I was under the impression that is rained in the summer...Is it too early? When does it start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:23 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Give it about another month. Middle of July is when it usually begins. High pressure has seemed to be more dominant further into June than previous years, and I am not complaining. There literally hasn't been a cloud in the sky in days.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,006 times
Our monsoon starts in early July and then lasts for about a quarter of the time from then until Halloween, if we're lucky. Note: we are so dry right now... fires are starting in the mts. again this year.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
There have been severe thunderstorms along the eastern border of the state (NM/TX state line) for at least a month now. And in the Texas panhandle. I saw the other day something about record-setting rainfall in the Clovis area in one storm, with street flooding, etc. Ruidoso had a week of heavy buildups but no measurable rain - but nothing for over a week now.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:42 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Over the thirty years I've lived here I've seen it start on the 4th of July more times than not. Maybe it's just my recollection playing tricks on me with that date, but the monsoon will start in early July.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Over the thirty years I've lived here I've seen it start on the 4th of July more times than not. Maybe it's just my recollection playing tricks on me with that date, but the monsoon will start in early July.
This is true. Does anyone remember last 4th of July in Cruces when the fireworks were going to be held over on Hadley? It was a complete washout. Hadley was almost completely deluged for about an hour, it was a torrential downpour. I think the fireworks began in earnest around 10, but by then we were gone, the kiddos had to go to bed.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 PM

70 posts, read 288,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Give it about another month. Middle of July is when it usually begins.
Hope so but just recently read on NOAA's diagnostic discussion site that el nino has dissipated last month(May) and that the weather patterns will transition to la nina during the June through August period. So far the weather models are currently forecasting a drier 2010 summer.
Looks like if their right I might have to keep the swamp cooler on more this summer. On the plus side maybe the humidity will be lower and the cooler can do it's job.

Ref. esrl.noaa.gov

Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,575 times
While the ENSO (El Nino-Southern Oscillation) cycle is easily correlated to precipitation during the fall through spring in New Mexico...the good news is that there is no known relationship between ENSO and summer precipitation in New Mexico. And...there is really no other cycle to hang your hat on...no one has proven any skill at summer precipitation forecasting in New Mexico using any weather cycles that have been identified. Here is the latest NOAA forecast (for July-August-September). As you can see...there is mostly "EC" on the map...meaning "equal chances" for above or below normal precipitation for that time period...or as some of us like to say, "equally clueless."

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...off01_prcp.gif

The bad news is that the return to La Nina doesn't bode well for next the winter of 2010-2011 in New Mexico...especially the southern half of the state.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:19 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
I watch the eastern Pacific/west coast of Mexico for the formation of tropical storms this time of year. That "normally" means an increase in humidity and subsequent chance for daytime thunderstorms in my area. With the advent of annual tropical storms, there is a concurrent counter-clockwise circulation of winds aloft in the area mentioned. Pretty easy to see on satellite water vapor images.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 PM

19 posts, read 47,045 times
Digging up an old thread for its relevance.

My weather station in the Holman/US70 area has been in operation since April 3rd 2007. I've recently added a Rain Data Analysis page and thought I would throw it in here for reference for any who are curious/interested. It breaks down my accumulation (and lack of) numbers since APR 3rd 2007:

LasCruces-Weather.com - Rain Data Analysis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces