Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:22 PM

26 posts, read 49,749 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm thinking of moving to Las Cruces within the next 2 months. I was wondering about the cost of living. The everyday stuff:
Gas
Heating
Electricity
Cigarettes
Iv'e heard that groceries are slightly more expensive.

What can you tell me

Thank you
Tracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:10 PM

No takers?

Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,167 times
I guess we have to assume that they are so busy enjoying their lives that they don't come here often? What better explanation?
I am considering the area also and will be taking a trip soon.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:47 AM

I guess that must be it

I'm still coming. heh

Tracy

Old 04-07-2014, 12:03 PM

334 posts, read 585,067 times
I think heating won't be bad, due to the climate. If you have refrigerated air, your electricity can be high, but with a swamp cooler, it will not be nearly as high. Some people use both. Gas for vehicles, when I was last there about six months ago, was reasonable and much lower than where I am in West Texas now. Groceries I did not find high, and you can get good deals at Walmart. Not sure about the cigs.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Gasoline in Las Cruces, it is the least expensive in New Mexico, $3.15 to $3.39 Check out Gas Buddy: Las Cruces Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Las Cruces, New Mexico

Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM

Thanks Granny Fats and Poncho_NM
What on earth is a swamp cooler...lol I'll have to Google it.

I'm busy planning my trip down there. Good news on the gas prices... it's between 3.58 and 3.64 here.

Thanks guys

Tracy

Old 04-07-2014, 07:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocatah View Post
What on earth is a swamp cooler...lol I'll have to Google it.
Discussed here:
Swamp Coolers vs. Refrigerated Air
Swamp Cooler Operation
Las Cruces - swamp cooler or AC?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 AM

471 posts, read 976,970 times
The best way I have saved money here compared to other places is in utilities...if you are willing to put up with some heat and a little cold, you will find that the heater and the swamp cooler really doesn't have to be running much at all. But if you are fanatical about keeping the house 75 in the winter and 65 in the summer, be prepared to start paying... Food and material things really are the same all over, all the usual activities of looking for sales and bargains still apply. Housing can be expensive, but then again, if you are willing to be out a ways or are willing not to have the most desirable views, you can find some nice low cost places...kind of like everywhere in NM...I have found that insurance can be higher here...go figure...

Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Hey, Rocatah, my wife and I are located 70 miles east of Las Cruces in the city of Alamogordo. Alamogordo is about 36,000 people and Las Cruces has around 99,000 within its city limits. Las Cruces has many more stores, as you might expect, so we head over usually once a week. We head over to see a movie, shop, eat, peek a look at a new Mitsubishi that Sisbarro Mitsubishi has displayed out front or to get maintenance done on our '08 Lancer GTS.

I concur that gas is cheaper in Las Cruces. When I paid $3.29/gas for regular unleaded in Alamogordo at the Texaco on Hwy.70 on the way out of town to Las Cruces, it was only $3.19 at at least one gas station there in Las Cruces. There is a new health food store on Lohman Ave., near the Mesilla Mall, called Natural Grocers. My wife is ecstatic about it because it has somewhat lower prices and it is of decent size with a decent variety of foodstuffs. The Mesilla Mall is a good mall to get exercise in and has many stores, including a big Barnes and Noble bookstore. It has a large Sears, JC Penney's, Dillards, etc. Lots of different stores plus Allen Theaters, Inc., has a movie theater in the mall.

Las Cruces has one Allen Theater called Video 4 that has $3.00 movies shown weekly. We've seen a couple of movies there and it's a good movie resource. All in all I think you'll like Las Cruces, it has been said on this forum that housing is affordable here. I know that housing is affordable in Alamogordo and Tularosa, because I live over there and we rent a house in Alamogordo. But if purchasing a house is what you want to do I think you'll find a nice variety of housing available at a fair price awaiting you in Las Cruces.

Good fortune to you in your endevours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces