Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:51 PM

76 posts, read 54,390 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Las Cruces next month, and after a recent house-hunting trip, I now have a beautiful home under contract overlooking the golf course in Picacho Hills. I wasn't specifically looking to buy in Picacho Hills initially. I looked at homes in several different areas, but the one home that really spoke to me was in PH, and I loved the area, just in general. Since I'm not from Las Cruces, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts to share about Picacho Hills? Is there anything that I may not know about the area that maybe I should know? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 08:59 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
I have a home listed over there right now off of Vista Del Reino. Since I first moved here in 2005, this area has appealed to me. It almost seems like a separate town, like it belongs more in Arizona than New Mexico. The views of the valley are what this neighborhood has to offer as well as Picacho Peak itself. The average days on market for these homes for sale are about twice the city average. This is due not only to the average price point, but also due to the relative isolation and therefore access to immediate services. Picacho Hills Road is kind of the only way in and out of the development, unless you really want to explore there are less direct ways but you are at the end of the metro here. Once you turn west onto Picacho Ave from Picacho Hills you go into the vast expanse of the Chihuahuan Desert. The area is not considered part of incorporated Las Cruces, but maintains city water and sewers. As of right now, the golf course is owned by the Biad family, who are looking to sell the property. This has left a lot of homeowners in the neighborhood skittish and apprehensive about having to bear the costs of maintenance and upkeep if/when a buyer is found for the golf course. I hear that initially the Biads approached various families about collecting a one time servicing fee and almost everyone balked at the price tag, so the family ultimately decided to put the property up for sale.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I have a home listed over there right now off of Vista Del Reino. Since I first moved here in 2005, this area has appealed to me. It almost seems like a separate town, like it belongs more in Arizona than New Mexico. The views of the valley are what this neighborhood has to offer as well as Picacho Peak itself. The average days on market for these homes for sale are about twice the city average. This is due not only to the average price point, but also due to the relative isolation and therefore access to immediate services. Picacho Hills Road is kind of the only way in and out of the development, unless you really want to explore there are less direct ways but you are at the end of the metro here. Once you turn west onto Picacho Ave from Picacho Hills you go into the vast expanse of the Chihuahuan Desert. The area is not considered part of incorporated Las Cruces, but maintains city water and sewers. As of right now, the golf course is owned by the Biad family, who are looking to sell the property. This has left a lot of homeowners in the neighborhood skittish and apprehensive about having to bear the costs of maintenance and upkeep if/when a buyer is found for the golf course. I hear that initially the Biads approached various families about collecting a one time servicing fee and almost everyone balked at the price tag, so the family ultimately decided to put the property up for sale.
Thanks, Mike! I don't think the isolation will bother me, as I don't expect to have any need to get anywhere in a hurry, and the home I'm buying has a direct view of Picacho Peak from the back patio, and I love it!

Fortunately, I'm not too worried about how long it might take to sell a home in PH as my hope was to find a home that I would want to stay in for the rest of my life. Basically, I'm retiring there. The golf course itself is now under contract as well and is now under the management of a company that runs several successful golf courses in Arizona. They've started implementing many changes already. All they're waiting on is a full liquor license. I actually stopped by the country club office to verify what my realtor and I had been told by the listing agent, because I was a little worried about the uncertainty of it all, especially since the home I'm buying overlooks the golf course directly. At the moment, it looks pretty and green!

Old 05-02-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy444 View Post
Thanks, Mike! I don't think the isolation will bother me, as I don't expect to have any need to get anywhere in a hurry, and the home I'm buying has a direct view of Picacho Peak from the back patio, and I love it!

Fortunately, I'm not too worried about how long it might take to sell a home in PH as my hope was to find a home that I would want to stay in for the rest of my life. Basically, I'm retiring there. The golf course itself is now under contract as well and is now under the management of a company that runs several successful golf courses in Arizona. They've started implementing many changes already. All they're waiting on is a full liquor license. I actually stopped by the country club office to verify what my realtor and I had been told by the listing agent, because I was a little worried about the uncertainty of it all, especially since the home I'm buying overlooks the golf course directly. At the moment, it looks pretty and green!
For what it is worth, along with Talavera, you bought into one of my very favorite two neighborhoods in town. I think you will be very happy there.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
For what it is worth, along with Talavera, you bought into one of my very favorite two neighborhoods in town. I think you will be very happy there.
Thanks, Mike. I was seriously considering a new home on Regal Mist before I found the one in Picacho Hills. It was a great house, and the Organ Mountains were practically in the back yard! If I hadn't found the house in Picacho Hills, I probably would have made an offer on the Regal Mist home. Is Regal Mist considered to be in Talavera or just close to it? I really liked that area as well.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy444 View Post
Thanks, Mike. I was seriously considering a new home on Regal Mist before I found the one in Picacho Hills. It was a great house, and the Organ Mountains were practically in the back yard! If I hadn't found the house in Picacho Hills, I probably would have made an offer on the Regal Mist home. Is Regal Mist considered to be in Talavera or just close to it? I really liked that area as well.
Great question Joy. I know that area well. I always considered it on the fringe of Talavera, but not wholly inside of it, which I always perceived was Soledad Canyon Road and all the perpendicular side roads that stem from it.

If you click on this link: https://gis.donaanacounty.org/parcels/

Then on the left side, turn on the MLS Zones layer, you will see as realtors we designate this area East Dripping Springs, on the border of west Dripping Springs. This is kind of our official neighborhood designation map, but by no means is it official.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,168,152 times
I have dear friends who were long time residents of Talavera (Modoc Trail). I'm not certain why they eventually sold - but they did - and bought in Picacho Hills (on Tuscany). Their backyard overlooks the golf course and a panoramic view across the valley all the way to the Organ Mtns. They're very pleased with their move after a full year of residency in Picacho Hills.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Great question Joy. I know that area well. I always considered it on the fringe of Talavera, but not wholly inside of it, which I always perceived was Soledad Canyon Road and all the perpendicular side roads that stem from it.

If you click on this link: https://gis.donaanacounty.org/parcels/

Then on the left side, turn on the MLS Zones layer, you will see as realtors we designate this area East Dripping Springs, on the border of west Dripping Springs. This is kind of our official neighborhood designation map, but by no means is it official.
Thanks, Mike. Yes, it was right off of Dripping Springs Rd.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I have dear friends who were long time residents of Talavera (Modoc Trail). I'm not certain why they eventually sold - but they did - and bought in Picacho Hills (on Tuscany). Their backyard overlooks the golf course and a panoramic view across the valley all the way to the Organ Mtns. They're very pleased with their move after a full year of residency in Picacho Hills.
Thanks, joqua! Good to know! I think I looked at a home on Tuscany. Is there anywhere in Picacho Hills that doesn't have an amazing view?! I was looking over the covenants, and apparently, you're not allowed to so much as plant a tree that might grow tall enough to obstruct someone's view of the Organ Mountains! I'm definitely not complaining, though! I love that I'll have a nice view of both Picacho Peak AND the Organ Mountains from my back patio!

Old 05-05-2019, 06:39 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Ecological Applications, 15(6), 2005, pp. 1893–1905
᭧ 2005 by the Ecological Society of America
EFFECTS OF EXURBAN DEVELOPMENT ON BIODIVERSITY: PATTERNS,
MECHANISMS, AND RESEARCH NEEDS
A NDREW J. H ANSEN , 1,4 R ICHARD L. K NIGHT , 2 J OHN M. M ARZLUFF , 3 S COTT P OWELL , 1,5 K ATHRYN B ROWN , 1,6
P ATRICIA H. G UDE , 1,7 AND K INGSFORD J ONES 1
Ecology Department, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717 USA
Department of Forest, Rangeland, and Watershed Stewardship, Colorado State University,
Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 USA
3 College of Forest Resources, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 USA

Abstract. Low-density rural home development is the fastest-growing form of land use
in the United States since 1950. This ‘‘exurban’’ development ( ϳ 6–25 homes/km 2 ) includes
urban fringe development (UFD) on the periphery of cities and rural residential development
(RRD) in rural areas attractive in natural amenities. This paper synthesizes current knowl-
edge on the effects of UFD and RRD. We present two case studies and examine the patterns
of biodiversity response and the ecological mechanisms that may underlie these responses.
We found that many native species have reduced survival and reproduction near homes,
and native species richness often drops with increased exurban densities. Exotic species,
some human-adapted native species, and species from early successional stages often in-
crease with exurban development. These relationships are sometimes nonlinear, with sharp
thresholds in biodiversity response. These effects may be manifest for several decades
following exurban development, so that biodiversity is likely still responding to the wave
of exurban expansion that has occurred since 1950. The location of exurban development
is often nonrandom relative to biodiversity because both are influenced by biophysical
factors. Consequently, the effects on biodiversity may be disproportionately large relative
to the area of exurban development. RRD is more likely than UFD to occur near public
lands; hence it may have a larger influence on nature reserves and wilderness species. The
ecological mechanisms that may underlie these responses involve alteration of habitat,
ecological processes, biotic interactions, and increased human disturbance. Research on the
patterns and mechanisms of biodiversity remains underdeveloped, and comparative and
experimental studies are needed. Knowledge resulting from such studies will increase our
ability to understand, manage, and mitigate negative impacts on biodiversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
View detailed profiles of: