Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times

Advertisements

Thanks. We see one maybe once a month -- I imagine there are more we don't see but that the problem is not too big yet. We have 2 kids so don't want poisons accessible in the house or outside, for that matter, so we'll see what we can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 05:22 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,039 times
Of course, there's no such thing as "one"...just like mice.
But with such infrequent appearance, you'll probably be just fine by putting out some bait and traps. Much easier to head off a problem than to battle a full blown attack.
There are proper spots to place the bait/traps/borax or whatever you're going to use, but most products will tell you that in the instructions for use. We put out bait that's in a plastic container so our cat can't get too curious about it.
So...other than las cucarachas, how are you feeling about your move to Las Cruces and the Mesilla Valley? Any particular surprises or revelations?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:18 PM

I am enjoying it so far. My husband has had a harder time adjusting -- he misses New England. I still am awestruck when I turn a corner to head for home and see those Organ Mountains, or palm trees. We walked through the desert near our house, at the end of Sonoma Springs Blvd, and saw so many neat cactus and plants I had no idea what they were. The novelty has not worn off yet, that's for sure, at least for me. I love that we can wear just a sweater and it's the week before Christmas!

I am enjoying being out at stores and hearing the easy flow of English to Spanish back to English. I would love to learn Spanish but have too much to do until the end of February -- maybe then we will buy the Rosetta Stone system.

I do think that LC will/needs to change a lot in the next few years to catch up to the population growth it's seen. There seems to be things missing for such a large population, but maybe it's because El Paso is so close (e.g. a VA hospital, Social Security Disability hearing site, a better mall, to name just a few). I know a lot is in store and already planned, and this is an exciting time to be here.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:40 AM

16 posts, read 35,409 times
Lawmom, I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying Las Cruces. DH and I just made our reservations to fly out there for the first time in February. We can't wait. I think about LC every time I scrape my windshield in the morning. If we like LC, which I think we will, we're hoping to move by 2012, hopefully sooner. We would both go tomorrow if we could.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
You could try to rig them with harnesses and train them to plow the garden.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:34 AM

Hi, Penguin! How exciting that you're coming to visit so soon!

Greg -- what garden -- we have a tiny back yard of rocks. Maybe we can train them to pick up after the kids.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 19,489 times
They actually have bugs out here that look like roaches, but they are a different type of insect. in the sandias, they have the stinkbeetles (which emit a strong order if provoked), as well as other beetles. If you have cats, they should take care of them. If not, you may want to try an electronic pest control module that you can plug into the wall.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I am enjoying it so far. My husband has had a harder time adjusting -- he misses New England. I still am awestruck when I turn a corner to head for home and see those Organ Mountains, or palm trees. We walked through the desert near our house, at the end of Sonoma Springs Blvd, and saw so many neat cactus and plants I had no idea what they were. The novelty has not worn off yet, that's for sure, at least for me. I love that we can wear just a sweater and it's the week before Christmas!

I am enjoying being out at stores and hearing the easy flow of English to Spanish back to English. I would love to learn Spanish but have too much to do until the end of February -- maybe then we will buy the Rosetta Stone system.

I do think that LC will/needs to change a lot in the next few years to catch up to the population growth it's seen. There seems to be things missing for such a large population, but maybe it's because El Paso is so close (e.g. a VA hospital, Social Security Disability hearing site, a better mall, to name just a few). I know a lot is in store and already planned, and this is an exciting time to be here.
I know you've mentioned political issues/attitudes that vex your husband...but is he missing maple trees, white clapboard houses, fresh clams & lobster? The culture here is obviously pretty different...but that can be a very interesting and enriching thing. You can learn to cook an entirely new style of food, speak another language and get tuned into a very different but very American culture here in NM.

A nice desert walk can be found at: Asombro Institute for Science Education
which I think is probably close to where you live. Don't be expecting anything terribly sophisticated or elaborate....it's a trail of over a mile, with a side trail that goes up a big hill with a beautiful view. Along the way there are lots of signs naming and describing the plants you'll see as you walk along the trail. A good way to learn about what's around you, and a beautiful walk as well.

There is a privately owned language school that I hear good things about but have not used: Aca Spanish for Your World (575) 521-0003
I don't know why they don't have a website.

Some Spanish knowledge is a good thing for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that you'll probably get to know some people you otherwise might not connect with. I've always found most Spanish speakers helpful when I want to learn or don't understand something.
LC has grown in some ways, but not much in others. That'll change over time, of course. I get impatient sometimes.... but it is what it is. You're right about the proximity to El Paso. That's why there will never be regular air service to LC, among other things. I wish a few of the Asian restaurants down there would migrate up here

Old 12-21-2009, 10:45 AM

81 posts, read 285,258 times
Default Roaches or other bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
ROACHES that I see once in a while in MY house. Please. They are BIG. They look like ROACHES. I am not an immaculate person, nor is my family, but I have never had roaches. (Except the summer I lived at an MIT frat house, but that's a whole other story.)

Could they be something else? Nice bugs that have the misfortune of looking like GIANT ROACHES? We live right next to the desert in Sonoma Ranch -- perhaps some sort of desert-dwelling faux-roach thing?

Ok, whatever they are, and you did not send us a picture, you can use this wonderful non posionous product on thresholds of doors, under kitchen cabinets, around inside baseboards, and just about anywhere. It is called Victor Ant and Roach Killer, it is a mineral based product with mint. Totally safe. We have a Cockatiel, he is 20, happy and healthy and this has saved our lives, we both have allergies and bronchial problems also. victorpestcontrol is the web site, sorry no link here. Menard's and Meijers has it in the store, sometimes Ace Hardware. We are in Indiana.
Good Luck

Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 PM

Thanks -- I'll look into it to see if there is any around here, because there were two of the awful things in my daughter's closet last night. I will concede that they are roaches -- a neighbor says they are a problem in this neighborhood (again, a pretty nice neighborhood) but we'll just get rid of those suckers!

Tepcatl -- I don't think my husband can really put it into words exactly what he misses. He says "the ocean", but then I remind him that when we could see it from our house in Maine we hardly even went to the beach. He says "I liked the idea that i could if I wanted to." LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces