Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:09 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times

Advertisements

ROACHES that I see once in a while in MY house. Please. They are BIG. They look like ROACHES. I am not an immaculate person, nor is my family, but I have never had roaches. (Except the summer I lived at an MIT frat house, but that's a whole other story.)

Could they be something else? Nice bugs that have the misfortune of looking like GIANT ROACHES? We live right next to the desert in Sonoma Ranch -- perhaps some sort of desert-dwelling faux-roach thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 07:27 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
Call them whatever you want, you do not want uninvited insects in your house. If they are not roaches, they will probably leave as soon as outdoor temperatures warm up some.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:28 PM

We saw one or two when we moved here in August.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 PM

216 posts, read 732,256 times
Picture?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,049 times
If they look like roaches they're probably roaches.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:39 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
We call the Palmetto Bugs in Florida. It makes some people feel better. But they are sill cockroaches.

Read this:
How to Get Rid of Palmetto Bugs - howtogetridofstuff.com

Rich

Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 AM

Ugh. I think they are -- but a neighbor reassured me it's not because we're dirty -- people just get them here, as they are looking for water? At least they are easy to kill.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
You will find a lot of bugs coming in your house for the winter.

The roach traps help, but they are basically boric acid. If you can put them in the back of cabinets out of the way from pets and children it will help. For years (50+ years) my mother swore the little white tablets which come in a small yellow box kept our house roach free. They look like large aspirin, but the are just boric acid...

Ricr

Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Sometimes, you might get them in your house when someone else
moves them into the vicinity of your house via moving boxes.

In the UNM area, they are all over the sidewalks at night and
climbing up the side of buildings.

They tend not to like the inside of buildings unless you feed them.

I also found that Bait products work well to control them.

If you are not in an area where they normally live, you won't need Bait.

Ask your neighbors if they have seen them at all.
If yes, get some Bait. If not, you might not need it.

Still, one of those things can become 60,000 of those
things in a year ( or something gross like that ).

I'd get some Bait.

obInfo:
Bait works by giving them a slow-acting poison that they carry
back into their nests where they die and the cannibalistic
little suckers eat the dead and die from the poison that is in
the corpses of the dead ones. The process is repeated until
they are either all dead ( in your case ) or under control
( in the case of the ghetto dweller ).

Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
Of course they're roaches...but don't take it personally. They're widespread in NM, and in the absence of countermeasures they'll appear in anyone's home.
When Mrs Tecpatl and I bought our Mesilla mud hut we discovered the previous owner had pretty much left pest control up to his cat, and the cat had moved out months earlier.
Sure as heck, the little buggers had established a flourishing, but fortunately not large, colony in various dark hidden spots in the house. We inherited them, much to our "dismay" (actually, to Mrs Tecpatl's skin-crawling horror).
It took some time, and full on war to rid the house of them, but we've accomplished that. Boric acid works pretty well as a discouragement to them, roach bait works also, but we ended up calling a pest control guy to come in and lay waste to the little suckers once and for all. He did two full scale indoor treatments, which, in combination with super sealing doorways,etc. worked like a charm. He still does a once a year treatment indoors and does the perimeter of the house once a month. We're not too keen on having poisons in the house, and he was very understanding and worked with us, doing the minimum treatment in the once a year deal and also doing minimal outdoor stuff as well. We have a cat, so we don't want lots of nasty stuff all over the exterior either.
Anyway, it was effective and worth ten times the money in my wife's considered opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces