Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:00 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
My criticism is rooted in the design of a system that needs/encourages people to be in conflict with each other in the first place. There are all kinds of ways to handle tax and collection issues, but systems that include turning regular citizens into enforcers do not make for a healthy society.

If delinquent registration fees really are a significant problem (which, I think has yet to be demonstrated) then they ought to be looking at changing the system into something with more natural compliance - like building the tax into gasoline sales where collection becomes practically automatic and doesn't put citizens at odds with one another.
Beautifuly spoken, I have not walked in my neighbors shoes.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:32 AM

222 posts, read 385,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
In order to pay that much he would have to be driving a brand new $70,000 Mercedes or something equivalent to it.
Audi Q7 actually. Like I said, I have no problem with paying the registration fees. I knew going in that they would be high, and I made the choice to get a relatively expensive car anyway.

My problem is the people who feel they're above the rules and don't need to pay their fair share. My feelings have nothing to do with whether the state is really 'suffering' because they don't pay, whether they can truly afford it, or anything else. I hate sending money to the IRS, and I'm pretty sure what they get out of me is statistically insignificant, but that doesn't mean I can just opt out because I don't like it.

Hopefully all of these people who are playing games get cited and wind up with fines well in excess of what it would have cost to just register the damned car locally in the first place.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:56 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Default Heavy enforcement?

I would note that my old van went a year with an out of date registration sticker and it was never picked up. I put the new sticker in the truck and then forgot all about it until I got the next sticker a year later. I only put 2 or 3K miles on that vehicle so it does not get much exposure...but it does do a lot of short trips.

So as long as you don't have an HOA I don't think you run much risk unless you get stopped for something else.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:03 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post

My problem is the people who feel they're above the rules and don't need to pay their fair share. My feelings have nothing to do with whether the state is really 'suffering' because they don't pay, whether they can truly afford it, or anything else. I hate sending money to the IRS, and I'm pretty sure what they get out of me is statistically insignificant, but that doesn't mean I can just opt out because I don't like it.

Hopefully all of these people who are playing games get cited and wind up with fines well in excess of what it would have cost to just register the damned car locally in the first place.
Taxes paid on registration goes to the maintenance of our road network. As new residents DMV are giving them a grace period to register their vehicle. People that go beyond that are scums. Fees imposed on vehicle registration are part users fee which will benefit the community by way of better infrastructure.

My neighbor upstairs just moved in recently, I am giving them 30 days to change their AZ license plates. After that I'll be calling 455-FAIR. They may even have gone beyond the grace period mandated by DMV, they could have moved from another NV address but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and after 1 month, I will be calling 455-FAIR.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
My neighbor upstairs just moved in recently, I am giving them 30 days to change their AZ license plates. After that I'll be calling 455-FAIR.
And they should laugh at you, tell you to get a life, and then inform you that your neighbor has 60 days to register their car, not 30.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And they should laugh at you, tell you to get a life, and then inform you that your neighbor has 60 days to register their car, not 30.
Like I said they may have moved from another NV address but the point is people should register their car once they've decided to reside in NV. It is a users fee that will benefit all. It is a win-win situation for all including yourself.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:03 PM

222 posts, read 385,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL, a person with almost 1,900 posts on an internet messaging board telling another to "get a life." That's rich!

I've called the 455-FAIR number a few times, and was off the phone in less than 2 minutes. Hardly a major component of a day in my "life," and actually an ultimate feeling of satisfaction when, inevitably, those old out-of-state plates would be replaced with shiny new Nevada ones about 30 days later.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:21 PM

It benefits residents when people "TRULY" care about their community but there are pretenders amongst us residing in NV.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:30 PM

487 posts, read 747,439 times
How do they figure what tax you have to pay on a used car that you are bringing in from out of state?

Do they go to Kelley Blue Book Or Edmunds and put a percentage on?

What percentage do they add anyway?

Old 11-20-2010, 05:02 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchem View Post
How do they figure what tax you have to pay on a used car that you are bringing in from out of state?

Do they go to Kelley Blue Book Or Edmunds and put a percentage on?

What percentage do they add anyway?
No, it's based on the MSRP minus a fixed rate of depreciation based on how old the car is. The specific formula is on their website:

Nevada Vehicle Registration Fees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas