Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,865,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Around here (washington state), there is an occassional stucco style home, which is very cool. However, imho if all the homes were in the same style, it is not as cool.
Nearly all of the houses that appear to be stucco in Western WA are not real stucco, but artificial stucco. Get close to them and touch it, it's made of Dryvit and often you can see panels. It's too humid in Western WA for a stucco home to cure correctly.

That's why stucco isn't a bad thing, it's the natural choice for the desert and similar to materials used for hundreds of years as mentioned earlier on this thread. Expecting homes in LV to be build with wood is ignorant.

What you can build up there in Western WA that is real is a concrete home. More modern homes are metal and concrete in both WA and NV, and they can last forever just like a brick or stucco home. Those are a great look too when done right. But far less common than the fake stucco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,235,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Around here (washington state), there is an occassional stucco style home, which is very cool. However, imho if all the homes were in the same style, it is not as cool.
I always wonder though...if a person lived their entire life in the Southwest part of the U.S...then they went up to Washington State...would they think that most of the housing there is essentially all the same style?

Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
I agree.

Some good neighborhoods for diversity in style are Kokopelli (the Pueblo/Adobe style with flat roofs are beautiful) also any of the Lamplight neighborhoods, like Lamplight Village, the Manor, The Glens etc.....they include Traditional wood with shutters, Key West Style, Georgian, Tudor, and French Country. They are very unique and each one is a different color.

Also in reference to the front porhces, those Lamplight homes have front porches but they look onto common areas and parks with gazebos.

Souther Highlands has a great Tuscan look.

Some variety can be found, just have to know where to look
Damn, that'll be a few hours of research once I find the time!

Would love to quickly view what each of those different housing styles (or neighborhoods) might look like!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 AM

579 posts, read 1,211,322 times
Quote:

Would love to quickly view what each of those different housing styles (or neighborhoods) might look like!
Here are a few pics from some Lamplight homes. ..... Traditional style.....You have a couple in Seven Hills, Lamplight Village and Lamplight Square in Silverado Ranch, several on the northwest side of town like the Lamplight Estates, Lamplight Manor, Lamplight Glens. All gated with central parks, some have clubhouses etc......treelined streets. When inside you'd swear you weren't in Vegas. They were set to do a massive master plan in Centennial, but Carina Corp sold out to Lennar and they never proceeded.

http://www.lasvegasnewspapers.com/realestate/REMay-06-Sat-2006/images/843182.jpg (broken link)
[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Old 09-13-2010, 12:53 AM

Thanks for the photos, HappyHunting!

Yeah, true, doesn't look like Vegas at all! Interesting three of those have the balconies as well.

I personally still prefer the typical Vegas style look...but nontheless, all diversity of housing is good and interesting. Thanks for posting those.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:26 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,383,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Here are three looks at Pueblo Revival.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sprimg 06 Kokopeli 2 resized.jpg
Views:	8130
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	68171

Name:	Spring patio resized 2.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	68172

Name:	Christmas 2008 071 resized.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	68174

Old 09-13-2010, 01:34 AM

Thanks Buzz. The 'Pueblo Revival' is a look that I LIKE A LOT.

I particularly see them throughout New Mexico and Arizona and El Paso, TX. I noticed even the newly developed constructed houses, they are a popular theme (as well as old style in some of those cities). I would personally absolutely LOVE to live in anything that looks like that or even remotely like that.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:

I particularly see them throughout New Mexico and Arizona and El Paso, TX. I noticed even the newly developed constructed houses, they are a popular theme (as well as old style in some of those cities). I would personally absolutely LOVE to live in anything that looks like that or even remotely like that.
Then you'd love Santa Fe. That's all they allow in that city, and they even tell you what colors you can use. The funny thing is that the style on old buildings in Santa Fe and Albuquerque are facades. Way back in the 20's or 30's it is my understanding that they hired an architect to help promote tourism, and he talked them into going with that style.

Name:	Dogs 06 Fair Albq Apr 06 158.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	68175

This one is authentic. This is the Palace of the Governors, in Santa Fe, where the Indians sell their crafts under the portico. It is the oldest continuously used public building in the U.S., built in 1610, if I remember correctly. That's about ten years before those people in the funny hats landed on Plymouth Rock isn't it?

Name:	Dogs 06 Fair Albq Apr 06 171.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	922.5 KB
ID:	68176

Anyway, the City of Albuquerque started the Pueblo Revival in the early 20th Century to attract more tourists, and now whole towns use the look. Instead of going with the natural Southwest look, Las Vegas took the easy way out and copied Southern California's cookie cutters.

Name:	Dogs 06 Fair Albq Apr 06 431.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	68177

Kokopelli in winter:

Name:	Winter Dec 2008 snow in Vegas 013.JPG
Views:	1259
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	68178

Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 AM

This is my favorite poster: Another Victim of Santa Fe Syle

Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,247,947 times
Quote:

It's really a shame we don't see more of that style in Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas