Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:53 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by house2013 View Post
i wait 2-3 hrs in MD office only to be seen in a hurry, 5 minutes.. i felt i wasnt assessed well to be able to address my medical problems. its hard to find a good one
Our time is just as valuable as their time. If they make you wait so long, get a new doctor.

I am disgusted with the doctors here. I have a limited insurance plan and not too many doctors to pick from. I finally got in to see my new doctor this morning after waiting two months for my first appt. He would not let me talk, other than to answer his questions. And he will not treat my spinal problem until I go and give lots of blood, have a gyno exam, mammogram, colonoscopy, endoscopy, and a bunch of other things that I tuned out since the list was too long. I was getting really sleepy by then, because I had less sleep in order for a morning appt. Plus I have to go to a physical therapist, go back to the cardiologist for tons of tests and invasive procedures, etc. All before this doctor will fix my back. By the time I get all that done, I will either be healed up or dead.

I would love to find a doctor on my health plan that is more holistic, and will only see me when I have something wrong, like my back and not expect me to be a pin cushion, and subject me to way too many tests and procedures. I believe in limited doctor care. And I do not plan to live my life going to the doctor every freaking week or several times a week because they expect me to. That's not living, that is existing. I was "fired" from my last doctor for non compliance, because I would not have all of the same tests done.
Sure, I know it's a business, but I, as a human being have the right to not have things done that I do not want to do. And that have no relevance to my spinal problem that I need help for. I need a doctor that will respect me, and not expect me to be a moneymaker like all the other sheeple.

Good luck finding a good doctor. I only know of one in the entire valley, but I cannot afford him. Dr. Allen in Henderson. Because he does not take insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:53 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
I have an update for this thread.

Doctors press for higher Medicaid payments

It talks about what doctors face in Nevada and why it's difficult to keep them here.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:50 PM

Haven't updated this thread in ages but I see UNLV is on its third version for its medical school. First they needed 100M then 200M now they're back down to 125M. They're selling bonds to fund it instead of seeking donors. It discusses the money in the article.

I hope it gets built. Back when the lottery was up to a crazy 1.6 billion I thought if I win I'd donate the money they need for it. I'd like to see it. Of course I didn't win.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/e...bonds-1712587/

I liked the original plan of 8-9 stories with clinics and medical offices but the donors needed never materialized.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/p...gress-1669641/

Looks like Roseman Medical School in Summerlin is coming along. They already had a building. They just need funds to hire people. Their website says they're still pursuing accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/e...edical-school/

TLDR: UNLV medical school has the staff and accreditation and land and already three classes enrolled at a temporary campus with the first class graduating in 2021, but still little to no funding for the building. The latest plan needs 125M to build and run the campus. Roseman already had the building but is still seeking accreditation to start enrolling students and needs 66 million for operational costs.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 07-12-2019 at 08:26 PM..

Old 07-12-2019, 08:35 PM

194 posts, read 194,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Haven't updated this thread in ages but I see UNLV is on its third version for its medical school. First they needed 100M then 200M now they're back down to 125M. They're selling bonds to fund it instead of seeking donors. It discusses the money in the article.

I hope it gets built. Back when the lottery was up to a crazy 1.6 billion I thought if I win I'd donate the money they need for it. I'd like to see it. Of course I didn't win.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/e...bonds-1712587/

I liked the original plan of 8-9 stories with clinics and medical offices but the donors needed never materialized.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/p...gress-1669641/

Looks like Roseman Medical School in Summerlin is coming along. They already had a building. They just need funds to hire people. Their website says they're still pursuing accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/e...edical-school/

TLDR: UNLV medical school has the staff and accreditation and land and already three classes enrolled at a temporary campus with the first class graduating in 2021, but still little to no funding for the building. The latest plan needs 125M to build and run the campus. Roseman already had the building but is still seeking accreditation to start enrolling students and needs 66 million for operational costs.

So Roseman would another medical school separate from UNLV?

Old 07-12-2019, 08:56 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post

[url]https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/education/roseman-university-gets-10m-for-budding-medical-school/[/url
I had no idea Roseman was developing a medical school here! Thanks for posting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy View Post
Yes it appears so. We also have Touro University in Henderson which has an established DO program.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy View Post
That was the plan. Roseman and UNLV both announced their plans for medical schools at the same time and were both up for accreditation. Roseman was already a Health Science University offering many other degrees but didn't pass the accreditation process for the medical school expansion in 2016.

UNLV school of medicine was created out of the old bones of the University of Nevada medical school up north which had the largest residency and fellowship program in Las Vegas. Many people who worked for them chose to transfer to UNLV and stay where they were. With the State funding and graduate medical education restructuring in the creation of a new medical school in southern Nevada they changed their name to the University of Nevada Reno School of Medicine in 2017. They just added Reno to their name and was encouraged to further residency and fellowship programs up north into rural areas to meet more rural medicine needs.

There was already Touro in Henderson and as a DO program they work with Valley hospital near UMC for residency. UMC has the largest cooperation with the graduate medical education programs, but is a community based hospital. The VA up north and MountainView are the only other hospitals in the area that I know of working with residency and fellowship programs. It seems Roseman and UNLV both had to adjust their expectations since their initial proposals in 2016, based on their subsequent fundraising in years past. UNLV did go on to get the accreditation where as Roseman hasn't yet.

At the time in 2016 our organization used our 15th annual charity fashion show to fundraise for the three medical schools to be housed in southern Nevada by setting up three separate charities for each that year. Touro used their portion to build a mobile medical clinic that's in operation today. I think UNLV's portion was to go to a medical student loan with zero percent interest to be paid back after graduating, and Roseman's was to be split among medical students scholarships as well to be paid back by volunteer service to the community. I'm hazy on the details and would have to look back at my notes what we did with each. The only one I clearly remember was the mobile medical clinic which was fun to tour in person once it was completed. We also do another major annual fundraiser to provide scholarships to local nursing students in addition to community outreach projects. Such as one year they went into schools for child education and protection on the internet, and the last year I was there we worked with the Governor on public education and community outreach for the opioid epidemic. We do a lot more things too.

Here's links to the medical schools and a brief run down.

Roseman University College of Medicine
Private University in Summerlin established in 2008 currently seeking medical school accreditation, projected class of 64 MD students

UNLV School of Medicine
Public University situated near downtown LV with the first class of 60 MD students in 2017

Touro University Nevada
Private Jewish affiliated University in Henderson, class of around 160 DO students (Osteopathic Medicine) started in 2004

University of Nevada Reno School of Medicine.
Public University with the oldest medical school founded in 1969. They have a class of 68 MDs matriculated per year.

Here is an article that explains the needs of Nevada as of 2018.
Medical Education in Nevada: Progress Made, Long Way to Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
I had no idea Roseman was developing a medical school here! Thanks for posting this.
It's a lot to keep track of as it grows and I've been away for a few years. I'd hoped they'd be accredited and we'd be further along by now.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:17 PM

Looks like Sunrise hospital is participating with UNLV SOM residency programs now too. From the 2018 article above.

Quote:
11 GME programs in place in partnership with University Medical Center (UMC), Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center and the Veterans Administration, in which 278 residents and 35 fellows are enrolled. Two fellowships, in critical care medicine and pediatric emergency medicine, are slated to begin in July of next year.
It says Roseman may be accredited by 2020 provided it reached it's goal of 66M. Looks like they're going to work with Valley Health System (VHA) for residency programs.

Also it says Touro expanded class size to 180 students from 135.

It's really a good article. They're measuring the progress in five year increments.

Now how can we get the 125M for UNLV SOM and the 66M for Roseman? Once they're up and running it becomes self sustaining.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:58 AM

This article from 10 months ago says NV landed in 50th for the healthcare ranking just above D.C. and gets into why. Doctor retention rates being the top reason. It does say what they do well at and where it could improve and that improvements have been made but it will take time to bear fruit.

Nevada Lands At Bottom of National Healthcare Ranking

It's based on this federal report done by: https://www.ahrq.gov

I tried to find the State ranking to see how the surrounding States are doing but I didn't see a concise ranking list. Ones I goggled had Nevada at 37th and 35th but they were based on other reports. I'd like to see the full federal ranking in a similar easy to read list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas